Garmin Base Camp[

SWharton

Base Camp as it comes does not include a lot of detail. You need to download the entire North American data base to get the detail and small towns.

I use it to create routes and then download it to the Garmin and it all seems to work fine once you figure it all out.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

Yes, I did that but when I went to do a search it took over 5 minutes before I gave up. I did not have internet access at the time.

I am trying to learn to use Base Camp since I can upload to my GPS. I have been slugging away at it for a while. Get frustrated and give up. If I need internet access to use it I am not interested. I try not to use anything that requires internet access since the internet is not always available.

I just did a search for my home address and it popped up in less than 15 seconds. I used the "Find" and then "Find Options" and selected "Addresses" for the type.

Also tried the same options with city and state only and it popped up in seconds.

PM me and I will shoot you a phone number and, perhaps, I can help you via phone. Not that I am an expert by any means.

Lenp

USN Retired

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

• 6 months later...

OK. I am back to trying to learn Base Camp. I gave up for our winter trip.

I am trying to do a route of 1000 miles, with 6 stops. I go to New Trip, put in my Start/End and it does a calculate. How do I stop this? I want to control when it does a calculate, not let Base Camp control me.

I have tried videos on You Tube but nobody seems to address this. The examples I find all just have a start/stop, no stops along the way.

I also tried File/New/Route and no popup showed up to enter a route.............

What am I doing wrong???

Thanks.

AFTER you have your start and stop entered you should have a "trip" listed in the "My Collection" area. If this is true, go to your map and pick the places you want to travel through (way points). After you have all of your way points picked (and I suggest you rename them for easy identification), double click on the "trip" name in My Collection. A second window should open showing the start and stop. On the right side of this window is a button with a "+" sign. When you click that button it will allow you to insert a way point you created earlier. After it is inserted you can select it and use the up and down arrow buttons to put it where you want it.

Hope this helps. Took me a while to figure out how to use it too.

Send me a PM if you would like a phone call to walk you through it.

Lenp

USN Retired

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

Got it!!! Getting the Start/Stop entered was the challenge. Just needed a little guidance. Thanks a lot. There seems to be a lot of things in Base Camp, I hope there is a seminar on it at Escapade. I don't do anything fancy, just plan out a route to get a feel for the distances and where the stops will be, unless we get side-tracked.

I also found my first bug. I have an RV760, put in Williamsburg, VA as a starting point and Bar Harbor, ME as an end. Routed me through Iowa and then up into Canada. I tried it with a CAR profile and it routes correctly. After having encountered 2 low bridges this last trip and carrying the GPS from the MH to the car we decided we needed a 2nd GPS so bought the RV760. I sent a report of error to Garmin, hope they send me a patch soon.

Thanks Len for all the help.

Now I get "there was and error calculating this route". I was getting that yesterday also in addition to the Iowa routing. I reported both problems.

The one positive. I did confirm that if you use the RV profile it will route you around low bridges. BaseCamp does not warn you about tunnels though. We encountered a tunnel on I10 around Mobile. We were in the wrong lane, warning came up too late and there was no place to pull over and turn the propane off. We have had the same problem in Phoenix.

That is interesting. Around here(Hampton Roads area, VA) the police pull you over and verify your propane is off before allowing you to go through any of the tunnels. Doesn't happen all the time but more often than not. There are actually pullover areas at each tunnel for them to do this.

There is no way on I-10 through Phoenix that anyone could pull over, nor is there any warning ahead of time coming off of Loop 202 that you are going to be in the tunnel in a couple of minutes - you have to know the area. Coming from the south there is a notice that HazMat trucks have to take I-17 cutoff at the airport which joins up with I-10 again on the west side of downtown Phoenix.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Here's a good description as to why you don't have to turn off propane in some tunnels and you do in others. In the Phoenix area you do not have to turn off propane.

http://www.rvtripwizard.com/rv-info/propane-tanks-in-tunnels.html

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Hey Folks,

I have tried downloading Base Camp and can't seem to get it to load. I am using a MacBook Pro with OS version El Capitan. The download manager comes up and says to double click icon...... I do that an nothing seems to happen. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? Appreciate any help. Dennis

On Edit: I finally got the "double click the icon" to work. And it says things have been installed on Mac but I do not see anything new... So still working on it.....

And thanks for reply Lenp ..... Appreciate notes on operating the program. Dennis

Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

Dennis, sorry I cannot help with your MAC - I use a PC.

SWharton (and anyone else using BaseCamp to "build" a route). When I first started trying to get the route I had carefully created to work on my Garmin GPS the GPS seemed to always calculate a different route for me. I discovered two things: (1) make sure your route profiles are EXACTLY the same in BaseCamp as they are on your GPS unit and (2) when you begin a route you have created first select the route and then select the first way point you created for that route. If your already part way through the route select the next way point from where your currently sitting. If you don't select the first way point, the GPS will create a new route to your final destination ignoring all the way points you entered.

Lenp

USN Retired

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

Archived