Trailer for starting fulltiming.

Dwelch

Hi,

I start full timing next month. I have my trailer choices narrowed down to a scamp 13 and a starcraft 14 or 15/rb. The scamp is fiberglass the starcraft stick built.

Does anyone have experience with either to offer advice as to which is more suitable? How likely is a stick built to develop a leak, rot and leave me in a tent? :)

Thanks for any comments you may have.

• 2 weeks later...

13, 14 & 15 ft trailers are tight for full timing. The Scamp is built with two molded sections that are joined with a band or belt line. They will not leak. Years ago I had a stick-built Shasta and it quietly had some leaks which resulted in rot. In fact. we had to rebuild the roof because the wood framing had rotted out.

Trailer = 1987 Airstream Excella 32'

Truck = 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel

• 2 weeks later...

Those fiberglass trailers tend to hold up well, but they have almost no storage and very limited living space. Make sure that whatever you choose has enough storage space and weight capacity for you to be able to carry everything with you that you plan to take.We trued ti make one of those glass egg trailers work when we down-sized, but just could not do so. We chose a light weight trailer of 19' to make our summer only home after leaving the full-time lifestyle.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I had a 13 Scamp and really liked it. I would not go with the 13 for extended periods. At least the 16 or 17 foot model with a built in toilet with holding tanks. Mine only had a porta-potty which is not good at all in my opinion. If things had happened differently I would probably own one now or a Casita.

D, if you can afford it, I'd say check out those Bigfeet (plural, right?) trailers like old GiRo has. I've been on their web site lately, and really like what they have. It's become my #1 wish list trailer now!

That old man, he don't think like no old man.

"I thought I was wrong one time, but I was mistaken." Command Sergeant Major

"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."

Archived