Samsung S6 + Wilson Sleek 4G-V (Model 815125)

Technology always moves of fast, and provides ample opportunities to spend funds to help the economy from these changes:)!

Our timing on buying equipment, was right in sync when we bought our existing cell phone amp, the Wilson Sleek 4G-V Model 815125. Yep, about 5-6 weeks later Wilson came out with their version that would work on many other carriers, including my wife's ATT iPhone.

I've been retaining this Wilson Sleek 4G-V as my primary way to boost our data feed while traveling. Seeing ample dBm gains, in some cases, up to between 12-18+ increase. This was with our old firs generation Motorola Droid X, and until recently with the follow on RAZR M.

Enough with the background, with the added info that I'm anxiously awaiting the new Maximum Signal Booster:)!

So, the RAZR M battery started to swell, so I elected to replace it with the Samsung S6. Still learning the differences between Samsung and Motorola, and with me - that will be a slow process.

So now my question:

When I place the Samsung S6 as best as I can into the cradle of the Wilson Sleek 4G-V, I detect no signal boost at all? Network mode on the S6 was set to 'Global' when I fired up the phone. I have 'LTE/CDMA' as well as 'LTE/GSM/UMTS' Preferred Network Mode's to choose from. I did change it over to LTE/CDMA of a few minutes, and it still registered dBm readings, but again, no dBm differences when in the Sleek.

I'm wondering if my older RAZR M's 4G/LTE bands were more compatible with this older phone?

As we wait for what I expect will be a longer term (hopefully several years, due to the investment costs) solution on amplification via Maximum Signal's new amp. I still need to support us as well as I can now while traveling.

Any tips or advise on why I'm no longer seeing a better signal while in the Sleek Cradle with the Samsung S6, would be appreciated. (Settings on the S6 that I may be missing?)

In the same park, and so far, I'd say the bulging battery RAZR M - was providing a better data speed to the internet then the Samsung S6. Suspect the dBm boost from the Sleek is the reason. It is a different day, and weather patterns and volume of cell tower traffic, etc. - could easily be there reason for this. But I admit, after going to a much more current phone, I expected better, not worse - data speeds.

Input appreciated:)!

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Smitty,
It has been my experience that just getting the phone within a couple of inches of the sleek should improve your signal.

-Are you moving the same sim card from the razr to the S6?
- if not, are both sim cards on the exact same carrier?
- What is the PRL on both phones? Are they the same? (found under settings, this is the Preferred Roaming List)

Not sure what you are using to measure the dBm with, I would recommend installing this app on both phones, and then hold them right next to the sleek and compare at the same time the "1x" signal and the "lte". We need to see an apples to apples comparison.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.blueline.signalcheck

Hope that helps...

Also, as a general rule of thumb, motorola phones usually get a superior signal than Samsung's.

David

I don't believe the antenna of the old 4G-V supported the newer XLTE bands of Verizon, and your old phone likely didn't either. That was one of the upgrades in the newer Sleek. Your older Sleek would probably work if you found a non-XLTE area, or were able to dial your phone off those bands.

We got word from Gord yesterday that prototypes of the MaxAmp might be heading our way in a week or so for testing.. so not sure how much longer you want to hold off waiting for them to ship. But if you want a temporary solution, sometimes great close-out deals can be found on modern Wilson Sleek 4Gs (since they've rebranded as weBoost). We seem them pop-up on Amazon (we track current pricing in our Comparative Booster Guide) and have heard of them showing up in places like closing out Radio Shacks.

When you get your MaxAmp, the new Sleek might still be useful in your toad/tow vehicle.

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

I should have added a bit more, and thanks to you both for responding:)!

My Sleek 4G-V, has a Maximum Signal 39" roof top magnetic antenna attached to it. Gord helped me with this purchase about 4-5 years ago now:)!

The Verizon account has remained the same. The RAZR M was seeing the bump up in dBm strength, as measured on the phone itself under the tools section. This was validated about 6 days ago, before I removed the SIM from the RAZR M and placed it in my UML290 USB (The bulging battery and heat, concerned me of a potential fire.) I had the UML290 blue taped into the cradle of the Sleek for the last few days until I received the Samsung S6.

The phone came with it's own SIM, and I went into the Verizon store to have the activate it. Which they did.

I left the phone network on the default 'Global' setting. And also tried the 'LTE/CDMA' setting too. I waited a good two minutes on all of my placing of the phone into the Sleek cradle, with no increase in dBm detected on any Network Setting changes.

Good to hear that the new Maximum Signal is to be out in field tests soon!!

And yeah, I suppose I could spend some more coin on a stop gap Sleek that is a bit newer then my old unit. But, it worked with he RAZR-M, but not with the Samsung S6 - that is what is puzzling me. I did try to read the bands that the S6 works within, and it sure looked to me like they covered all of what the RAZR-M did, and more. Thus my puzzlement on why no boost detected with the S6. Hoping their was a phone setting I could set to magically wake it up:)!

Thanks again to both of you for your help! Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

Smitty,

The signal check pro app will tell you which LTE band it is seeing, so you would be able to to tell if the S6 was locking onto an XLTE band or not. If it's locking onto the same LTE band as the Razr than you will know it's a S6 problem. Also, there are a lot of reports on the web that poeple are having major problems with the S6's reception.

Cherie,
Interesting chart you have. Just a suggestion to make it more helpful. If the "gain" specs detailed whether it was TPO or ERP. and dBi or dBd, we would know if we are comparing apples to oranges, or apples to aplles, so to speak.

regards-

David

Thanks David - I'll check out the app. And thanks for the head's up on the S6 having reception problem. I missed that when comparing the S6 to the Motorola new Turbo. (I went with the S6, even at a bit higher costs, as it would play well with my Samsung TV, had a better camera, and compared well to better in many areas with the iPhone 6. I've always had good luck with my Motorola's, and they used to be known for having a better antenna for signal strength over the other phones. But, I admit this was at least 4-5 years ago since I did heavy research.) The person helping me at Verizon, commented that a new software release, actually I think she called it a patch, would be out soon for the phone. I've also been following the other thread on this forum, on Samsung Software problems. Such a great board where everyone helps each other!

I did just put the older sim back into the RAZR M, fired it up, and the phone reported a 4G signal of 104-106dBm. Put it into the Sleek, and it improved to 94-97dBm.

Holding the S6 side by side with the RAZR M, seeing 105-107dBm. This time putting it into the Sleek, it reflected 103-105dBm. But, this could have been from different orientation of the phone.

So my conclusion is that the older Sleek that I have, does not seem to boost the signal for the S6 as well as it did the RAZR M.

Will take a few days to learn this phone, and then see if I'm missing configuration changes and updates (have them turned off for now). Then decide if I want to spring for a temporary booster until Maximum Signal's is available. But, as I recall from earlier reading, the new weBoost Drive Sleek replacement, with help from the FCC and carriers, is not as strong a boost as the older Sleeks. A quick look on Amazon, I see a Wilson Sleek 4-S available, but it does not seem to cover LTE or XLTE (If I read that correctly too:)!)

I do kind of chuckle, as even on the fringe of coverage we've got in this campground, I'm still seeing Speednet tests yielding 4 to 5 Mpbs. A far cry from my old phone modem days of below 14.4K:)!

It's good to have this kind of connection speeds, and yep, I feel spoiled!!

Slow but steady,

Smitty

On Edit: I added the SignalCheck Pro app. It reflects LTE 104 dBm, not at the coach now, will check it in the old Sleek later:)!

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

Have a Samsung Note 3 with a Sleek 4G all carriers model with a one foot mag mount antenna mounted to the suction cup bracket on a window of MIL's house. Without the Sleek am seeing -113 to -130 -- an unusable signal. With the Sleek am at at least a usable -97 to -103.

You need to hurry up and buy a new sleek. Then 4-5 weeks after the maximum signal will be out and we can all benefit

:)! I'll also let you know when I sell Apple, so that you know it's a good time to invest...

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

Have a Samsung Note 3 with a Sleek 4G all carriers model with a one foot mag mount antenna mounted to the suction cup bracket on a window of MIL's house. Without the Sleek am seeing -113 to -130 -- an unusable signal. With the Sleek am at at least a usable -97 to -103.

As mentioned, I can still find the Sleek 4G on Amazon. Kind of a Catch 22. Figure about $140 by the time I get it shipped to us on the road. And hopefully not too long of a primary data amp need, as Maximum Signal should be rolling out in the near future. (And yes Gord, we know, you have been pushing/prodding/kicking/screaming/and probably praying to get things flowing out the door ASAP! Keep with it, and the benefits of tenacity will be rewarded.) I've kept my Sleek 3G for in the Toad duty in case it was ever needed. (In a box under the front seat.) Was planning on retiring it and using the Sleek 4G-V when I got the Maximum Signal up and running. But, if it is not working well with my current phone, will not do me much good. The newer all carrier Sleek 4G, would I suppose buy me some improved data signal in the RV for the short time needed. And then provide both my phone and my wife's ATT iPhone, emergency single boost in the toad. (I'm kind of practicing the pitch to the wife, on why I need to buy another piece of electronic equipment:)!).

As I said, will get some more experience with the S6 before deciding. But those are good improvement numbers you were reporting, and the old Wilson Sleek, while they last, have higher amplification then the new units that replaced them, another reason to not procrastinate on a decision too long.

Best,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

As mentioned, I can still find the Sleek 4G on Amazon. Kind of a Catch 22. Figure about $140 by the time I get it shipped to us on the road. And hopefully not too long of a primary data amp need, as Maximum Signal should be rolling out in the near future. (And yes Gord, we know, you have been pushing/prodding/kicking/screaming/and probably praying to get things flowing out the door ASAP! Keep with it, and the benefits of tenacity will be rewarded.) I've kept my Sleek 3G for in the Toad duty in case it was ever needed. (In a box under the front seat.) Was planning on retiring it and using the Sleek 4G-V when I got the Maximum Signal up and running. But, if it is not working well with my current phone, will not do me much good. The newer all carrier Sleek 4G, would I suppose buy me some improved data signal in the RV for the short time needed. And then provide both my phone and my wife's ATT iPhone, emergency single boost in the toad. (I'm kind of practicing the pitch to the wife, on why I need to buy another piece of electronic equipment:)!).

As I said, will get some more experience with the S6 before deciding. But those are good improvement numbers you were reporting, and the old Wilson Sleek, while they last, have higher amplification then the new units that replaced them, another reason to not procrastinate on a decision too long.

Best,

Smitty

It sucks when they change the rules after you have been approved and you have to make changes again before you can go into production . Wish I owned a US Senator. But that situation is about to hit the fan. And it is going to be fun to watch. You can change your name again it is not going to get you out of the upcoming storm according to my sources! LOL

Keeping You Connected

Proud Commercial Member #129 http://www.maximumsignal.net/

AquaDawg - Thanks again for the added info on the upcoming Moto X Pure. And yes, as a longterm owner of Motorola's, I knew it was coming. Same with the Apple iPhone 6S (Or 7, if the decide to bump up to 7.), and very interested in the potential download speeds at up to 300...

I read many of the pro's/con's on the S6 before purchasing. I usually buy one version back of phones, when replacing my units. So I was also comparing the cost differences between the S5 and the S6. I'm not going to ask to return it, as it is a good phone (And the bugs are being worked out as much as software will allow, and many phones have these problems, not just the S6.), and my old RAZR M has a bulging battery that I can not justify the funds to repair:)!

Moving forward... And I know I'm a bit slower them most at learning new phones, so much of this is me adjusting:)!

And I'll comment that the Speednet Tests, even at 105-1112 dBm on LTE, are faster then what I think I would have experience with the RAZR M. (An opinion, not necessarily a fact. And due to the bulging battery, not A/B testing.).

Prodding along slowly... And still may spring for he older, but newer to me, Sleek.

Best,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

........ and can wait a little, the new Moto X Pure is going to be available this fall. It's probably going to be the new standard bearer for smart phones.

http://www.motorola.com/us/smartphones/moto-x-pure.html

Nice phone. I'm glad Motorola finally has decided on a "pure" Androind phone. I hated their user interface. Just give me Android, thank you.

It has the right size for me, and I do like some of the features. But for me, it is a Note all the way. Once you get used to the note-taking capability it is hard to "go back" to something less capable. It took me awhile before I started using the handwriting facility in the Note....I originally bought my Note 3 for the large screen. But now that I am using it I can't abandon it.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update on my adjustment to he S6, as I shift from only having owned only Motorola phones before.

Good size screen, good resolution. Quick response from a fast processor with good ram. Battery life is still up in the air, as I'm still tuning. (Have not yet loaded Lean Droid, as I wanted to learn how Samsung's features worked. We also always carry an auxiliary battery, that can rapid charge my S6, and DW's iPhone 5S. So, never really at risk of running low on battery power.).

I've been impressed with download speeds, when on what for the RAZR M would have been a very slow producing single strength. We had 113-117 dBm, with downloads still in the 8 Mbps range, the RAZR M, even boasted via Sleek V, would have

been lucky to yield 2.5-3 Mbps at that signal strength.

We moved to a place with a stronger signal today, 87-93 dBm, and Speednet reflected 56.15 Mbps. I consider that fast:)!

http://www.speedtest.net/result/4637056159.png

The only downside so far, has been how difficult it is to see the screen in bright sunlight. I had turned the screen brightness down to conceiver battery power, and could not see the dang picture I was taking. Tried the 'auto' brightness setting, and a bit better. But even on the highest brightness setting, the screen reflection is a real PITA for camera picture framing.

Overall happy with the S6, and still learning it. Oh, and I did go ahead and take advantage of the 3G Store 48 hour sale, and ordered the weBoost Sleek replacement 4G-S with the 20% of coupon. It will hold us over until Maximum Singal's are flowing, then move to the toad.

Best to all, and appreciated the input above!

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

But for me, it is a Note all the way. Once you get used to the note-taking capability it is hard to "go back" to something less capable. It took me awhile before I started using the handwriting facility in the Note....I originally bought my Note 3 for the large screen. But now that I am using it I can't abandon it.

Yes! The pen interface really ups the dimensions of use that a Smartphone can have. Not so sure it would be as much of a benefit to use a pen on a tablet, though, mostly because of the difference in the way one has to hold a tablet.

Not into the Note 5, either. The fixed battery and no SD slot are definitely stoppers for me. My 32gb Sd is about half full as it is.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

Update on my quick update:)! I forgot to mention that while using the Hotspot, all will go good for a few days at a time. Then, sometimes 4-5 times during the day, the browser on my MacBook Air will just stop, hanging and waiting. Even disconnecting/reconnecting the Air's WiFi will not shake it loose. Sometimes if I also turn off and back on the S6 Hotspot, it will start to flow again. But usually, I end up powering off and back on the S6, and things will work well again for a period of time.

Suspect the cache maybe clearing on the S6? We'll be in this area for a few days, and I hope to carve out sometime to validate that all is up today on the S6, and will check a few droid S6 related boards to see if their are settings that should be tuned too.

As I told the DW, does no good to have a good signal and faster LTE connection - if the S6 is going to choke and need CTR-ALT-DELETE on a regular basis:)!

Best,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

Archived