Black & gray tanks; Level ?'s

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I know this is a rookie question or two that I will be asking. I bought my trailer used. I have never owned a trailer before. I need help in finding out where the levels are for the tanks. Is there a meter or two inside the trailer ? If there is a meter where would I find it ? Or is there some kind of sight glass on the outside ? I need as much help as anyone is willing to give. I am all ears. I don't want to wait till it is to later to winter rise the trailer. The more familiar I am with the trailer the better. I know it is still August and I am talking about winter. It might be a good idea to clean the tanks also. Do you think there is any video's out there on tank cleaning ?

All input is welcomed,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

The indicators for tank level might be just a set of LED lights that reflect the three sensor probes in the tank. Where are they located is highly variable. I had a motorhome where the indicators were on the range hood. My tank indicators are now on the wall back of the bathroom sink that is also the location of the pump switch and the water header switch.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Tank level indicators are found in many travel trailers, but not in all of them. The location of the indicators also varies. If yours has a typical RV indication panel, it should look something like one of these, if you have one.

88-9040.jpg101145.jpg

Frequently the water pump switch is also located there and often the water heater switch as well. But not all RVs come with such a panel. We own one that tank level indicators was an option which I chose not to buy because the cheap ones are seldom accurate for long ans usually indicate full or near full most of the time because of the way that they work. They are usually found somewhere around the kitchen but there isn't any hard rule on that.

On cleaning the tanks, there are businesses that will pressure clean them, but most of us just fill the tank half full of water, add some strong detergent, then drive around for an hour or take a trip and then dump tanks as soon as you stop. I prefer to use laundry detergent to do this but any good, strong detergent will work but try and get one that is low sudsing.

On winterizing, that is usually a function of first being parked somewhere for the winter and then adding skirting and things of that nature. You need to clarify what you have in mind as any help we can give will be different for traveling as compared to sitting in one spot.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Tank level indicators are found in many travel trailers, but not in all of them. The location of the indicators also varies. If yours has a typical RV indication panel, it should look something like one of these, if you have one.

88-9040.jpg101145.jpg

Frequently the water pump switch is also located there and often the water heater switch as well. But not all RVs come with such a panel. We own one that tank level indicators was an option which I chose not to buy because the cheap ones are seldom accurate for long ans usually indicate full or near full most of the time because of the way that they work. They are usually found somewhere around the kitchen but there isn't any hard rule on that.

On cleaning the tanks, there are businesses that will pressure clean them, but most of us just fill the tank half full of water, add some strong detergent, then drive around for an hour or take a trip and then dump tanks as soon as you stop. I prefer to use laundry detergent to do this but any good, strong detergent will work but try and get one that is low sudsing.

On winterizing, that is usually a function of first being parked somewhere for the winter and then adding skirting and things of that nature. You need to clarify what you have in mind as any help we can give will be different for traveling as compared to sitting in one spot.

Hello Kirk,

Thank you for posting the pictures. Their were a big help. One or two more question. What is the best way to prep the tanks for winter ? Do the tanks need to be completely empty for winter ?

Thank you for your help,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Just empty them as much as possible. It harms noting at all if there is just a little bit of water in them. The only thing that cold break would be the pipe from the tank and it only if it were full. I do suggest that you flush them well, using one of the means to clean out most of the sludge that normally sticks to the sides and bottom, just to keep it from drying up there, but they are waste tanks and so don't need to be spotless or sanitized. :P

It wouldn't hurt to flush the kitchen tank with hot soapy water to remove as much grease and trapped food particles as possible.

Draw a big pot of hot water and bring it to a boil, when it is ready close the kitchen tank and run the hot faucet into the sink with a good dose of soap. Let it sit for a couple minutes and dump, close the tank again, add more soap and pour in the boiling water. Let it sit for a couple minutes and dump again. That will get a good amount of grease out of the tank and plumbing. I've used dish soap but others recommend dish-washer soap so you get less foaming, either works.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Wintering in Ohio, I would agree that antifreeze is worth the effort even though some do get by with blowing the water all out of the system. If you don't have one of the winterizing kits for adding antifreeze without putting it into the tank and a bypass kit on the water heater if yours doesn't have one.

bypasskit2.jpgpump-converter-winterizing-kit.jpg.thumb

Archived