Android Version 5.1.1 on Samsung S5

Capt Joe

Been struggling with poor battery life on my S5 since an update was received and downloaded in early July. Bought the phone in November of last year and have been very regularly taking it off charge daily at around 6 to 6:30 am and putting it on charge around 10 pm each night. Doing this, I had not seen below 70% battery left. However, after the July update, the battery has been always in the 50% area and I have seen it in the 40's.

So, I have been working with the Samsung reps at Best Buy (where I got this phone) and the VZW people at the local store and online with several re-do's on the updates, etc but to no avail.

I was told that the upgrade to Lollypop in April created extra battery usage but I didn't really notice a big change to the battery and was told the July update was to bring the Android up to 5.1.1 and AFAIK, that's when the problems started.

After all of the above, I have a couple of questions and I solicit advice as to what I need to do now....

Have any of you had similar battery problems with upgrading your droid to ver 5 and on to 5.1.1?

and, when you updated to the 5.1.1, did you get that version number showing when you went into Settings > About phone > Android version? I still show version 5.0 after I have done the update twice and I'm thinking that may be part (or possibly all?) of the problem?

Anyway, I'm just trying to get the best I can out of what I've got so any and all answers, advice, suggestions, etc. will be greatly appreciated!!! Of course, I'm not real interested in things that could result in jail time or anything but I'm willing to listen to most anything. :rolleyes:

Capt Joe

2004 Winnebago Brave 32v on WH20 Chassis w/8.1L and Allison

My suggestion is you flip over to the XDA developers site.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s5

and do a search and see what is going on. This is a great group of people who root and hack most if not all phone and tablets

Susan & Dale
DaGirls Rv 2008 Alfa Gold SoLong ISL 425 Cummins
2015 Ford F-150 XLT Tow / Roadmaster Setup
1600W@45Vdc Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar

880AmpHr
DaGirlsRv Blog

lollipop is a big battery drain, some tips, when not using wifi for data. turn it off along with data off also. I have also uninstalled apps that i don't want along with disable of apps. helps a little.

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

Wow, feeling like Rip Van Winkle all off a sudden. My S5 is running 4.4.2, I am rooted and the startup screen indicates the phone is modified. Kit Kat is working fine for me using lots of apps and hotspot feature regularly. Once rooted I install CPU Sleeper to assist in managing power consumption.

ylXUWGQ.gif

ajaR0Ky.gif

YuzFntZ.gif

sc, you should be getting constant reminders that an upgrade is waiting to be downloaded. kit kat was the best, lollipop bites.

My boot screen says it all, Re: updates. The update option is gone from the "About Phone" menu as well. Would need to resort kies to upgrade. I like the phone asis. Will check out the S7 next August.

post-11790-0-60862500-1439381952_thumb.jpg

ylXUWGQ.gif

ajaR0Ky.gif

YuzFntZ.gif

My S5 was updated to 5.1.1 back in July and I haven't noticed any difference in battery life. Mine only gets charged every couple days.

As far as the Settings > Version, yes the base version still shows 5.0, but the Baseband & Build versions changed to a long alpha/numeric ending in ....2BOE1

After all of the above, I have a couple of questions and I solicit advice as to what I need to do now....

Have any of you had similar battery problems with upgrading your droid to ver 5 and on to 5.1.1?

and, when you updated to the 5.1.1, did you get that version number showing when you went into Settings > About phone > Android version? I still show version 5.0 after I have done the update twice and I'm thinking that may be part (or possibly all?) of the problem?

Jim

Jjim2,

Thanks for that info. I was hoping that others would chime in with version number showing after the update. As I said my version is also showing 5.0 but the Build and Broadband on mine shows as ending in 2BOG5 on each. Don't know what this indicates but later today I will try to find out.

Thanks again,

Capt Joe

Capt Joe

Medico,

You are having battery life like I was getting prior to the July update. Congrats!!!

Have you done the two system updates this year on your S5? I had one in April and another in July. There was also another one later in July but it was a security update. It was after the July system update when I had my battery life start to rapidly discharge every day. The updates I installed didn't indicate what version of Android they were installing and I haven't seen anything to refer to which would indicate which version I actually have.... my only indication I have is in the Settings>About Phone>Android Version 5.0.

Since the July update that was over my WiFi, I have had the Verizon Tech Support people tell me I must have a 'bad upload' and gave me a link to redo it..... same results. And then, the Samsung rep on their factory section at Best Buy also did the update again through their computer at Best Buy... same results again!!!

So, I am still where I was back in early July. I just put my S5 on charge about an hour ago and I was showing 53% after having taken it off the charger at about 7:30 am this morning.... and I didn't have much use on the phone today at all.

Anyway, I really am interested in just how to tell which version I am actually running because it shows 5.0. I just purchased...at a pretty good deal, a new LG 8.3" tablet (the one with the full size USB port on it) with both WiFi and 4G cell service and the version number showing on it is 5.0.2. BTW - I had just stopped by the VZW company store earlier in the week to see them about my battery problem and they didn't help at all with the battery life deal but after looking my account up, the rep was telling me since it showed me as a 9 year customer and having such a good record (such BS :rolleyes: ) I qualified for this tablet and all it would cost me was $79.99 with free activation on 4G AND there would be NO monthly charge for the tablet. So I bit... nice tablet with HD (1080) screen and really fast too. I really like it so far and am hoping my wife will take to it.

But back to my original theme... battery life and droid version. Do you or anyone else know how to check my S5 for the correct version I have of the Android OS? If I get a chance over the next few days, I'm going to try Samsung... or maybe the Geek Squad at Best Buy as I have the insurance through them on this phone, to see if they can tell me. I'll pass it along if I ever get an answer.

Capt Joe

with or when i had kit kat, built in apps worked great. lolli pop, seems some apps or control of them is slightly different, i have uninstalled some then when i get updates, seems they get put back in, with kit kat, when they got removed or uninstalled they stood at that status.

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

I have all the updates offered for my S5. The latest update was a software update. The Android version is listed as 5.0. Perhaps I do not have the latest Android update. It has not been offered. Perhaps I should hold off if it is offered.

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

Not Gemstone but when lollipop downloaded it took me DAYS on the phone with Verizon & Samsung and over 8 full hours to actual talk time to get my Galaxy 3 to actually work again. After 2 wipes, I was told that if I wanted it to work and also have good battery life I would have to upgrade to Galaxy 5.

I did buy a new one and within a week Kit Kat downloaded. Still had "issues" & spikes in data usage {that they finally figured out wasn't on my end} & cause me to up my plan for the balance of the month & battery life still sucked so I had to finally wipe my Galaxy 5 this weekend. Will see what happens over the next few weeks but if the phones can't handle big downloads they should have to figure a way to take care of this. Oh by the way, they told me I could revert back to my old data plan under the loyalty pricing but now say I can't on that plan but the more expensive plan has loyalty pricing on it. What a racket. Hugs, Di

"kit kat was the best, lollipop bites"..... What leads you to that conclusion ? Personal ? Professional ? Got any reviews you can share ?

Regards

Gemstone

SKP #48048
2015 single Cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisan Transmission, 410 gear. Pace Edwards automatic roll top cover. AMP running boards & tailgate step.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Suspension, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Leveling System & Plug It Right Stabilizers.
www.plugitright.com Plug It Right Stabilizer, TST, Quadra Big Foot Lever Tailgate Easy Lift Distrubitors
http://www.plugitright.com/5thwheelREDO.html e-mail: plugitright@gmail.com

Well, after an extended on-line session with a Samsung tech I have finally gotten them to tell me that according to the Broadband version and the Build number on my phone, I now have Android version 5.0.2. They both end with a 2BOG5. I was also told to be expecting another update... at some undetermined point in time.... that would take me to 5.1.1 which SHOULD help with the battery problems many of us have been having. It appears to me to be one of the classic cases of right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing.... and quite possibly not even caring.

I have been led to think that VZW and Samsung seem to be waiting for the other one to act in order to get the update ready for distribution. Hopefully before we all get too much older this will get resolved but I, for one, am not going to hold my breath.

Capt Joe

... the battery problems many of us have been having. ...

I've just started using "Lean Droid" from the play store. The app is free with $1.99 in app purchase for custom features. I sprang for the premium which allows to set exceptions etc. Since installing the app I've seen approx 50-80% gain in longevity. My phone is rooted which allows for control of the Cellular radio so your mileage may vary.

EDIT: The in app purchase is available to all android phones that share the same Google account

ylXUWGQ.gif

ajaR0Ky.gif

YuzFntZ.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd run this one up the flagpole for any new info that anyone may have gotten over the past few weeks instead of starting a new thread.

My S5 seems to be getting even worse with its battery life. Right now, my phone has been off the charger for just over 9 hours and I only have 37% battery life remaining. And, that's with very minimal use for today... 2 phone calls received and 1 call dialed (short calls) and 5 texts received with 2 texts sent. Minimal other usage... goggled a couple of things and checked weather radar once.

Prior to all of this updating and such, at this point in the day, with heavier usage, I would be looking at well over 80% battery life.

Looking for other ideas, thoughts, suggestions as to where to turn now to get this thing figured out? As I get deeper into it, I will report any findings I come up with.

Thanks,

Capt Joe

Capt Joe

Not the S5, but I have a new to me S6 that I'm adjusting to after decades of only Motorola phones. Battery consumption was on the high side, as I at first left everything at default levels. I did then adjust some of the Samsung's available settings, and that helped some, but still would see the battery percentage drop as fast as my old 69 Cougar with a 428CJ fuel gauge. So, I add the mentioned Leandroid Pro. Still tweaking the exceptions, but have found a dramatic improvement in life of battery.

And, depending on the age of your S5, and how the battery was taken care of, you could just have a battery that is showing it's age and or cycle usage history:)!

Best,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody have any updates on when the Lollipop Android Version 5.1 is going to be released for the Samsung S5 AND if it is going to cure some of the problems many of us have been having such as the rapid battery drain since the updates of earlier this year? I have been poking around but have not come up with anything yet.

I plan to stop by the Samsung section in Best Buy later this week to see what they may be able to tell me. That section in BB is operated by a couple of guys who are Samsung employees and they MAY have some updated info and IF they will tell me, I'll be sure to pass it on.

Capt Joe

Capt Joe

Archived