Disconnected the stereo and now have to power to slide, anyone have any ideas why?

Andrewm

Welcome to the Escapee forums! We will do our best to help.

What year is your Wildcat fiver and are you the first owner? It sounds to me as though someone has fooled with the circuitry prior to you as I can't see any RV builder sharing power between a stereo system and the slide controls. To be honest, I don't think that I completely grasp what the problem is so more information might help. Do you mean that you had to run a new power lead to the slide controls or to the slide motor or............. It does sound interesting so share a bit more information and we will sure give this a shot.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I understand now what you are saying. Do you have a meter to take some voltage readings with? If not this might be a good time to get one as the best way that I know of determining what the problem is would be using one.

When you removed the old stereo, did you connect the new system to the same power supply leads? Were there any other wires in the location which might have been disturbed? Have you checked to see if there could be any fuses blown/open? Looking will usually tell, but to make sure you really need an ohm meter to measure them. You could try substituting the existing one with a new one. It seems very unlikely that the slide and the stereo share a power supply and I am assuming that the new sound system does work? It is very easy when working with circuits that are powered to briefly short something entirely different if the problem item has wires or connections in the same location or proximity. If you don't have a volt/ohm meter, one of those 12V indicator lights used for automotive trouble shooting will also help.

If I'm reading his post correctly, it is not a problem with the slide mechanism but a loss of power within the slide itself. If I'm correct in that assumption, you might try looking for a tripped GFCI outlet. They are usually where there is water so look in the bathroom, kitchen and then outside the 5er. I'll bet you might have tripped one of them when either disconnecting or reconnecting your stereo/surround system. Just my take on your post.

Ray

2001 Fleetwood Southwind 32V

2011 Scion XB toad

Some of the sound equipment installed in RVs is DC powered. Did you unplug the old stereo from an AC outlet?

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

If I'm correct in that assumption, you might try looking for a tripped GFCI outlet.

This might be if you have a slide system that is operated on 120V-ac power, but all that I'm familiar with are powered by 12V-dc and to my knowledge there are no GFCI devices for 12V-dc?

NuWa (used to, at least) does some bad things with outlets and switches, using them as junctions for wiring. After the wires loosen up a bit, the continuing wire may loose contact, while the outlet or switch is still powered.

Did you unplug the stereo from an outlet in the slide? If so, 120v? or 12v?

Did you "wiggle" any wiring in the slide as you pulled out the power cable and/or speaker wires?

F-250 SCREW 4X4 Gas, 5th NuWa Premier 35FKTG, Full Time, Engineer Ret.

Archived