Need your thoughts on an RV...good or bad!

coachmac9

We have been looking for almost two years and have come close to finding the right one a couple of times...this one seems to fit all our requirements but haven't driven it yet (will do that Friday)...any suggestions on what to look for besides evidence of leaks, maintenence log, tire info, ect ect? Also any info about the power train or make and model of coach would help tremendously...Here is the description:

1998 fleetwood discovery 36t. Cummins 275 hp and 6 speed allison transmission.
6500 watt onan propane generator, 6 pretty new michelin tires, 6 good interstate batteries.
150,800 miles, hydraulic jack leveling system and tow system with rearview camera
14ft super slide with tons of storage both inside and out.
Ducted Ac and heat replaced within last year also brand new electric steps.
2 couches and dinette make into beds for 7+ sleeping accomodations
Huge side by side fridge freezer, 3 burner stove, convection/ microwave oven, washer dryer combo, huge glass shower with skylight, 2 LCD tvs and antenna.

Thoughts?and thanks in advance for your input!!!

Hi singwing, you might want to also include the asking price so owners here can tell if it leaves enough room for most likely repairs/maintenance to be performed. Also bear in mind tires more than 5 years old by tire code may not be reliable regardless of tread depth. On motorhomes that is a biggie. I drive a fiver so will let the motorhome owners give you more definitive things for that drive train and tranny.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Personally, I am a bit leery of "seasoned" rigs. Not that there aren't some good ones to be had, but you are taking a big risk and the price should reflect that. Holding tanks can get brittle, anything plastic or rubber may be deterierated, roof and window caulk may need to be redone, and then there is the mechanical and electrical.

If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, I would definately hire someone to go out and check the mechanicals. At the very least I would want an oil analysis done. I would look into every nook I could get in to. Pull the electric element out of the WH and inspect the inside of the tank. Walk every inch to check for any soft spots in the floor. Etc etc etc.

When all is said and done and if you decide to take it, I would keep in the back of my mind a fair "allowance" for repairs I was unable to detect right off and negotiate off of that accordingly.

I'm not trying to scare you, but just the little stuff can pile up on your piggy bank pretty darn quick.

I hope it works out and you get some fun in this summer. :rolleyes:

Another thing to check out is the possibility of getting financing on any RV that is more than 10 years old. We have friends who have been unable to sell their 11 year old Phaeton pusher because the price is a bit steep for there to be many cash buyers. If you don't have cash, make sure that you have financing before you put any money down.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks for the input, they are asking 23,000 and after driving and inspecting the rig I will offer 20 if we like it (and if no major problems are found). We found out early in the game that nobody finances anything older that 2005 so we started saving to pay cash for whatever we buy.This would leave us several thousand to make any repairs or changes we wanted or just save the money for a "repair fund"...any thoughts about the Fleetwood model or the drive train? talked to several of the diesel mechanics that keep our buses going and they didn't have anything bad to say about the Cummins engine but none had ever had one in an RV.

The major thing for me would be maint. records. And then a complete inspection by someone experienced in RV's. A 17yr. old coach has the potential to eat up a couple $grand pretty quick.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

I have a 1999 Discovery, same model as you are considering. Bought it new in 1999 and have around 78000 miles. It has been great, not perfect, but I have no regrets. Discovery owners Assn has many "vintage" Discoverys with over 100,000 miles and going strong. A good place to see prices is at PPL motorhomes website. They publish prices of recent sales. In the past itwas generally understood that Discoverys were easy to sell.

Thanks Stevec!! PPL is definitely a great place to compare prices, I use it on a weekly basis and have visited their lots in Houston and New Braunsfels several times...I like going to their lots because there is absolutely no pressure from salesman. Made the mistake of going to Camping World one time and thought I had gone to a car lot...salesmen descended on us like vultures on a dead dog!!! I hate high pressure sales and definitely would not go back.

The power train is a Cummins ISB with the 6 speed Allison MH3000 that will get you up any hill. Maybe a little slower then bigger engines.

But you can pass those bigger engines while they are sitting at a fuel stop. :)

You should have no problem getting in the 10 MPG range.

Fleetwood brochure for a 1998 They were 3 models for the 36' 10" D .

If you get it, there is a good club $$ for Discovery Owners that you can get fast help with any problems that may show up or any questions on operation.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

If you check this one out on NADA listings, it shows average retail as $21,750 so it is priced about right. If it were me, I'd go in with an offer of low retail or about $18k.

Almost exactly my thought as well. 17.5 - 18 as an opener. 19 and a quarter would probably be my cap. Keep in the back of your mind that the seller's potential buyers pool is pretty limited.

Archived