Battery Disconnect not connecting engine battery

We have a 2000 Rexhall Aerbus with a Power off Battery Disconnect on both the coach and the chassis. The coach works but the chassis won't turn on. I have had the battery checked and have cleaned all the connections but it still won't turn on. I need to find the relay so I can check the fuses but have not been able to find it. Anyone know where they may be? Manual says that I could bypass the relay by moving the wires to the same side. Then we could start the engine without the disconnect. Thanks for any help.

Sorry, no idea where they may have located it. Assuming its a high current full load device, if you can follow and track the big cable from the battery positive it must attach to the relay or cut off before leading to the engine etc. The relay may well have a fused low energy activation circuit or a fuse for protection, I doubt the main high current feed cable is fused. There could be no telling what all and where circuitry such as the switch and other lock out safety devices that must be engaged prior to sending power to some sort of master cut off or relay then to the engine, nice to have a schematic huh??

Sorry, not being there and without a schematic nor ever having owned such a rig, I'm out to lunch on this one> Maybe some Rexhall owners know where its at and what other switches or lock outs affects its operation.

John T

Many thanks all. Think it may be behind the main fuse panel under the dash. I plan to check with our rv service center next week before we pull off the fuse pallel. Will post what we find our for anyone else who has this happen.

If you know the brand of device you have we might be more likely to know where to find it. I rather doubt that it is under the dash, but it quite possibly is on the firewall on the engine side. Our Cruise Master had the device by Intellitec and it had a plastic box mounted to the engine side of the firewall about the center line. There was a cover over that box and inside were all of the 12V circuit isolation devices for the RV.

002733_300x300.jpg6896fa3d818b05edca97cc5f521d2851.jpg

Here are two different examples of the device that you are looking for. The one to the left is by Intellitec.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

To agree with Kirk, while I never owned a Rexhall, I owned several other brands ALL OF WHICH had isolation or master cut off relays located somewhere under the hood or on the firewall or under the hood on an inner fender wall NEVER under the dash or anywhere inside the coach (those are big heavy high current battery cables you know). However, in order to activate those relays (so battery power was connected) the interlocks or safety switches or ignition switch wiring may be no telling where and no telling where any fuse protection might be found AND EVEN A SCHEMATIC MAY NOT HELP WITH PHYSICAL LOCATION. Its often the case the activation circuitry or ignition switch or interlocks or wiring to the low energy activation solenoid terminals (or even solenoids ground) are the cause of a problem then the solenoid itself.

You just gotta track and follow the big battery cables to find a cut out or master or isolation relay.

John T

Thanks guys. Ours is a Intelliter system. We will try to trace the wires again. As you well must know the wires are all inside a large mass of wires along the front of the coach and are very hard to tell which are which with the wiring cover. Lucky we don't have to move for a while. We will keep looking this will be found!!.

Sometimes, at least on some coaches, the wires are tagged with a number or other identifier. Or at least color-coded. But I would expect something that carries that much current would be relatively close to the battery bank.

Am I correct in thinking that someone turned the "switch" off and now the same switch won't turn it back on?

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

Archived