Fender Skirting Cost

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I need to replace a fender skirt on my trailer because of a tire blow out. That is the only damage that the trailer had was the fender skirt blowing off the trailer. I have received what the cost for the fender skirt would be. My question is, the price that I received is it reasonable for the skirt. The cost would be $360 plus shipping. Is there any other options.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Check these guys

icondirect.com

I don't know if they would be able to match something as New Horizons doesn't build thousands a year, but it might be worth a shot.

Thanks Jim, I will give it a try.

Al

I have checked out icondirect.com. I did not find a fender skirt that could work. The fender skirts on the New Horizon trailer are made out of fiberglass. Right now I do not know how the original skirts are attached to the trailer. I can only see one screw at the bottom of the skirt. The way that the trailer is designed with the side out there is only one bottom part of the skirt. It would be nice to find a rv salvage yard. Maybe I could find something used for a New Horizon trailer.

Please keep the ideas coming,

Al

Do you have the old pieces of the broken skirt? Since they are fiberglass you could either have that one repaired or could made a new mold and make your own. Do you have a picture of the good side?

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Have you tried the generic ones shown on this site:

http://lookup-our-skirts.com/

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

I'm going along with Star Dreamer. Both of the fenderskirts on my '02 Travel Supreme triple axle were cracking at the fastening points to the trailer. Lots of expansion and contraction with Calgary's temp swings 40 below to 90 odd above. Several areas had broken thru completely. We tried welding, fibreglass patches, nothing worked or looked good. Finally I went to a fibreglass outfit at Airdrie Airport called Fibreglass FX. They took the best fender skirt, made a mold of it and made 2 new fenderskirts. Cost was about 1K$ painted and installed for the pair.

If you are not able to locate a fender in decent shape, I'd start hunting for a fibreglass outfit who might make one or 2 for you.

I think if it was me I would look for ones that would work and by 2 for each side so they would look the same. Not try for OEM in this case but 2 aftermarket but that is me. Been awhile since I bought any but as I recall seem expensive for what they are. :)

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

Do you have the old pieces of the broken skirt? Since they are fiberglass you could either have that one repaired or could made a new mold and make your own. Do you have a picture of the good side?

Hi Dave,

I don't have any parts from the old skirt. The road was way to dangerous to look for it. I was lucky to get out of the truck safely. I did not know that the skirt was missing till I started to remove the blown tire off. I do have a picture of the skirt that is one the trailer. I will try to post the picture. So far no luck with posting a picture. Some how I did it. lol.

Al

Truck%2004-21%20028_zpsqnolko50.jpg

I have the same dilemma. caused by the same misfortune. I decided that I want to replace them with brush skirts like UPS uses instead of something rigid that ages and is always in the way when checking tires, leveling, etc. There are some significant advantages to using a brush skirt such as really reducing the amount of road spray when wet.

Here is a brush tire skirt manufacturer: http://www.industrial-brush.com/ap_RV_trk.html

Some of the places that I found that have wheel fenders for RVs:

rvpartssierra.com

www.rvpartscenter.com

www.ronusa.com/trailer_fenders.shtm

http://www.transcomindustries.com.au/spray-suppression.html

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

I have the same dilemma. caused by the same misfortune. I decided that I want to replace them with brush skirts like UPS uses instead of something rigid that ages and is always in the way when checking tires, leveling, etc. There are some significant advantages to using a brush skirt such as really reducing the amount of road spray when wet.

Here is a brush tire skirt manufacturer: http://www.industrial-brush.com/ap_RV_trk.html

Some of the places that I found that have wheel fenders for RVs:

rvpartssierra.com

www.rvpartscenter.com

www.ronusa.com/trailer_fenders.shtm

http://www.transcomindustries.com.au/spray-suppression.html

Do you have a picture of your trailer with the brush tire skirt installed ? It would be nice to see a picture if it is possible.

Thanks for the links,

Al

But you still have one good one which could be used to make a plug for a mold for another 1 or 2. Providing they aren't lefts and rights.

Roger,

I have never worked with fiberglass before. Maybe I could go on You Tube and see how to make a mold. It looks like the ride side fender skirt could work on the left side. When working with fiberglass what goes down first ? Gelcoat ? Then you start with fiberglass next ? Inquiring minds need to know.

Al

I would pay the $360 + and get on with life.

He's right, if they are available buy it or 2. You will spend that much on materials anyway and waste most of it. Let alone destroy brain cells with the acetone and resin smell. There are different weights of matt and woven roving but a glass shop would be able to help...It is stinky, messy and gets on everything. Throw out one set of clothes.

I was told you are a handy guy with the tools but I'd buy it if you can.

Anything new with the Corian?

Alan, don't mess with the fiberglass molding and making new skirts. Without access to professional supplies, and materials, all you'll have is a mess.

Even having been in the fiberglass and composite world for almost 30 years, I'm buying new skirts for ours. Much easier than repairing my own.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Hi Roger,

Nothing to report on the corian at this time. I have called a solid surface dealer in town with no luck. They do not repair corian or know of a repair man. I think most of there work is with stone. They suggest calling one of the big box stores to see who they use for repair. I will keep you informed.

Thanks guys for all your help,

Al

Archived