New Mirror-Mounted Camera

Nuke-E

After adding a Volvo hood-mounted mirror, I still wasn't quite happy with how well I could see my front right corner. This afternoon, I added a camera to the mirror, facing down, so I can finally see how close I really am. Total project cost was about $35--slightly more for the Voyager connector I needed ($18) than for the camera ($17). Here's how I went about it (with a few pictures):

Start by taking the back cover off of the mirror. There are 2 T27 screws holding it on (bottom side). Then take off the mirror and top arm cover--again, 2 T27 screws, this time from the top side. The cover is clipped around the edges, and has to slide toward the hood to come off. You'll see a spot that looks almost perfect for the camera--I drilled a pilot hole from the back side, then used the hole saw included with the camera from the down-facing (outside) surface. I also had to file the hole a little bit--it was a tighter fit than I felt comfortable forcing the camera into.

20150324_163045.jpg

You can see the wire running in a channel along the forward facing side of the arm, and down into the cavity towards the hood. With the mirror off of the truck, it's not too difficult to fish the wires through, though I did enlarge the center hole (where the plastic clip holds the mirror to the hood) to 1/2".

20150324_163051.jpg

20150324_144245.jpg

With the camera popped back in, and the mirror re-assembled:

20150324_163100.jpg

I had to buy an adapter to break out the spare 4-pin Voyager connector on the back of my monitor (part #1126810, $17.95 at AmericanRV) and connect power to get this:

20150324_165403.jpg

I still need to run power and signal cables more permanently into the cab, but that should be pretty straightforward. Not bad for a $16.76 camera! Just make sure it's not a mirror image--here's what I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AWRAYA2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Nice install. Do you know if the 4 bolt pattern on the mirror is the same on the newer version you have as the older single mounting point chrome round mirrors? I like the look of the newer mirrors ....and I can do the camera install,

thanks

Rich

2009 Volvo 780 D16 535hp 1850 ft-lbs I shift 3.36

Thermo King Tripac APU

DIY Bed and Frame Extension

ET Hitch, Stellar EC2000, EcoGen 6K

2002 F350 CC Dually w/ Lance 1181

2012 Mini Cooper S

2007 Teton Royal Freedom

" The only place you will find success before work is the dictionary "

Truck 100K.jpg

Sweet there Dave. Hope you don't need to get close to anything, but if you do, you can do it safely.

Yamaha V-Star
2007 Kenworth T2000 tandem aircutter
ThermoKing TriPack
2003 Holiday Rambler 36' Presidential
short trips-88 Allegro on Astro

thanks for the tutorial and camera used. i also have a voyager system , alot cheaper than the voyager branded

cameras for sure.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

1998 Volvo VNL64T610 Detroit Series 60 12.7 470HP/1650TQ Eaton 18spd 228"WB Tandem
2006 40' ToyHauler 3 slides and a 14' Toybox

That's great to see. I am going to do a similar setup on mine, but I'm going to mount my turn signal cameras to the bottom of those mirrors and face rearward. I'm sure that camera angle will come in very handy in tight spaces like parking lots, etc.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

Yeah, I feel like I have really good coverage down the side with the normal and wide angle mirrors, the over-the-window mirror, and now the hood mirror. A while back, I had thought about mounting a camera above the cab, but this was a lot easier, and that front right corner is really the only place I can't otherwise see.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

• 1 month later...

I thought I'd go ahead and post a quick update on this setup. It's had some driving in rain, a couple of tight spots, and backing into a couple of sites I've been in before.

The first obstacle was a motorhome with a trailer extending into the campground road, in the way where I needed to make a left turn (of course, I was committed to the turn before the trailer was in view). Still hooked up, just overnighting, I switched over to this camera--while it looked like the Volvo logo on the truck would have gone through the trailer from the driver's seat, the camera showed me that I had room. Only about 2 inches (and I got out to check just to confirm), but what I saw was exactly what was going on there.

In rain heading to the ECR, the camera didn't seem to have any trouble--good color and the image was just as clear as when dry. Backing into a couple of sites, it was really easy to see when I could start (or needed to stop) turning--gaining enough room that I was able to get lined up the way I wanted first try, seemingly a lot easier than before. I have a 348" wheelbase, and generally need a pretty wide berth to do that.

Rich--I just realized I never got you the info on the mounting holes--I'll try to get that later today.

No rush. All my available time is applied to working on a mod to the LCI hydraulic leveling system on the trailer for 6 point leveling. It's all ready to weld paint and plumb.......then I may work on swapping the mirrors on the truck for the new style.

Thanks for thinking about me though

Rich

2009 Volvo 780 D16 535hp 1850 ft-lbs I shift 3.36

Thermo King Tripac APU

DIY Bed and Frame Extension

ET Hitch, Stellar EC2000, EcoGen 6K

2002 F350 CC Dually w/ Lance 1181

2012 Mini Cooper S

2007 Teton Royal Freedom

" The only place you will find success before work is the dictionary "

Truck 100K.jpg

• 5 months later...

I came across this document with info on installing the mirrors. Removing the grille looks a lot easier than crawling on the hood from the back side.

http://www.advantagetruckparts.com/content/0610_001.pdf

shucks - I've got the old style mirrors. If I remove them to install the new style I have at least two holes to patch. I like what you did. Thanks for sharing.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Archived