Getting smell out of hot water tank and sanitizing fresh water tank

gnikk

I know this subject has been talked about many times, but here is my situation.

I have filled my fresh water tank with water and 1/4 cup of bleach per 15 gallons and pumped this mixture through all lines (the hot water heater is on by-pass). The lines have been sitting with that mixture for about 18 hours. I have done the vinegar/water mixture, heated the mixture for about 15 hours, then drained and flushed the water heater.

Question is how long can I safely leave the bleach mixture in the tank and lines before flushing?

Also should I fill the hot water with the bleach mixture or leave it on by-pass until the fresh water tank and lines have been flushed?

The 5th wheel is sitting in storage, I have access to water, but will have to move the trailer to dump the tanks and it is going to raining the next couple of days. I would like to wait until after the rain to move it and flush and dump.

Thanks

Ken

I usually just let it sit for a day or so and then drain the fresh tank with the low point drain. Then after filling the fresh tank again I run some fresh water through the lines and I'm done.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Curious as to why you bypassed the wh with the bleach/water mix and did not run the vinegar/water mix throughout the coaches water lines. The wh needs sanitizing and the vinegar/water mix helps clean the water lines and fixtures from calcium and lime deposits. We do this 1-2 times every year.

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

Also should I fill the hot water with the bleach mixture

Yes.

Our procedure was to drain the water heater (heating element off!), fill the water tank with the bleach mixture, and run it through all the lines, including refilling the water heater. We'd then drain the fresh water tank and the water heater, refill the fresh water tank with fresh water and refill the water heater. We never put anything in the fresh water to do a "rinse" (either vinegar or baking soda that some people use) because the small residual smell of chlorine never bothered us and quickly dissipated. But, of course, feel free to do so if it bothers you.

We now have an "instant" water heater, so don't need to be concerned with filling and draining the water heater...we just run the bleach water through the lines.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Question is how long can I safely leave the bleach mixture in the tank and lines before flushing?

Also should I fill the hot water with the bleach mixture or leave it on by-pass until the fresh water tank and lines have been flushed?

The 5th wheel is sitting in storage, I have access to water, but will have to move the trailer to dump the tanks and it is going to raining the next couple of days. I would like to wait until after the rain to move it and flush and dump.

There is really no limit to the time it can remain with the chlorine in the system but you may then need to make extra effort to get rid of the taste & odor. If that should be a problem, there is an extra step for this problem, shown in the page on our website to eliminate the issue.

To remove the bleach odor and taste, mix 1/2 cup of baking soda with a gallon of water and pour into the freshwater tank.

Fill the tank completely and pump this solution through the water heater and the rest of the water lines. Driving the rig around the block will slosh water around and thoroughly clean the tank. Allow it to stand at least two hours.

Drain the entire system and refill with fresh, clean water. Once again pump the water completely through the entire plumbing system.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived