Commercial insurance

Tom&

This may have been discussed, but I can't find it. I have been trying to get a lower quote on insurance and most companies won't insure my vnl730 as a MH because I don't have a plumbed perminate toilet. My HDT is registered and titled in my state as a MH. The only quote I have gotten is to insure it commercially, my question is if I go with commercial insurance will I have problems down the line like crossing international borders or if stopped for any reason by a LEO, I do not have a CDL, and don't want one.

My only question is did they really "ask" if you had a toilet? I know it can be hard to find insurance, but I would keep calling around. I had several "agents" that said it couldn't be done, only to find other agents with the same company that could get it done. Your truck is legally registered as a motorhome. "What kind" of toilet it has seems to me to be irrelevant. I know an insurance underwriter has the upper hand but I would continue to say that it is a "motorhome" and tell them the type of amenities aren't an issue. Try a different agent, different company, etc.

As far as what "type" of policy you have, most LEO's look at the vehicle covered and the expiration date on the card. I don't know about Alaska, but down here the cards aren't stamped "COMMERCIAL" in big red letters.

I'm paying $1000 for truck (agreed value), full-timers insurance on my trailer.

I got insurance from our Allstate agent before I even had the registration all taken care of here in California. At one time when California forced us to register "commercial", our agent still kept us insured as an MH. We have no running water and have a Porta-Potty.

I would take the approach when you are calling around that you are looking for insurance for everything you own, not just MH. Commercial insurance is expensive and not required. They might have insurance for a vehicle that does not qualify as MH like a converted school bus.

Archived