Commercial insurance

Tom&

This may have been discussed, but I can't find it. I have been trying to get a lower quote on insurance and most companies won't insure my vnl730 as a MH because I don't have a plumbed perminate toilet. My HDT is registered and titled in my state as a MH. The only quote I have gotten is to insure it commercially, my question is if I go with commercial insurance will I have problems down the line like crossing international borders or if stopped for any reason by a LEO, I do not have a CDL, and don't want one.

2011 vnl730 D13 435/1650 I-shift singled mid 2015 Keystone Raptor 425ts 2015 Smart

Try Blue Sky Insurance. However, not available in all states.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I should have noted that I live in Alaska, no Blue Sky here and some others, have contacted most of the companies on resource page and no go or commercial only.

2011 vnl730 D13 435/1650 I-shift singled mid 2015 Keystone Raptor 425ts 2015 Smart

Maybe Big5er will chime in because he is more of an expert on what LEOs might think. In my mind would think your truck being registered as a Motorhome carries more weight than the type of insurance. Just my opinion only.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I'm interested too. My truck is registered as private truck but my policy is commercial and about $1000 per year. It was the only way the local agent could write it for such a heavy rig.

1993 Freightliner 3406C Cat, 400 HP, 9 speed, singled long, 3.91 ratio, 264" wheel base, 12' flat deck with dove tail

1997 F350 dually, 4wd conversion, intercooler, 3 inch intakes, WW2 compressor wheel, bellowed up-pipes,

2007 Ragen Toyhauler

4a8a58ec-58d7-48af-b0d7-9dd42cf5b43a_zps

My only question is did they really "ask" if you had a toilet? I know it can be hard to find insurance, but I would keep calling around. I had several "agents" that said it couldn't be done, only to find other agents with the same company that could get it done. Your truck is legally registered as a motorhome. "What kind" of toilet it has seems to me to be irrelevant. I know an insurance underwriter has the upper hand but I would continue to say that it is a "motorhome" and tell them the type of amenities aren't an issue. Try a different agent, different company, etc.

As far as what "type" of policy you have, most LEO's look at the vehicle covered and the expiration date on the card. I don't know about Alaska, but down here the cards aren't stamped "COMMERCIAL" in big red letters.

I'm paying $1000 for truck (agreed value), full-timers insurance on my trailer.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Thanks everyone for the response, yes 5er I had 3 ask that question about the toilet and running water plumbed in. I will keep on trying of course, guess I was hopeing someone might convince me that commercial insurance was ok.

I got insurance from our Allstate agent before I even had the registration all taken care of here in California. At one time when California forced us to register "commercial", our agent still kept us insured as an MH. We have no running water and have a Porta-Potty.

Trish & Raquel

--------

"Road Runner" -- 2005 Volvo VNL780, 500hp Cummins ISX, Ultra-Shift, ET-Hitch, 198" wb

"Wile E." -- 2013 Heartland Landmark San Antonio

I would take the approach when you are calling around that you are looking for insurance for everything you own, not just MH. Commercial insurance is expensive and not required. They might have insurance for a vehicle that does not qualify as MH like a converted school bus.

Archived