Hughesnet Problems

oletimer

I know few of us use tri pod satellite systems any more, but because of the places we go, it offers service where we don't have cell. That seems to be our favorite winter locations. When we went to NE Kansas for Christmas this year, I got good single strength, but when the system went to reconfigure, the content was blocked. I posted earlier about that. The way I got around that was, I found an old computer with Windows XP that allows a button to "show blocked content". This year, because of some issues, we didn't get back to Texas until about 10 days ago. Now I can't get single strength above 24, and we have to have at least 50. Our cell service provider is Sprint, and I know Verizon is better, but TRUST ME, I have checked with other campers and for service footprints, and Verizon or ATT will not work for us! We have used Hughes since 2006, and have always had a few problems so I know better than to call Tec Support, especially since my neighbor in Kansas (3 months) is an installer. I can't get him to come to Study Butte, Tx. After my problem at Christmas, I looked into the Star Band(sp) system, but I'm wondering if these satellite systems using the Ku band are going to be functional for very much longer. I'm now in a park with WiFi, but it's time to pay some bills, and e-file my taxes, and I don't want to do that VIA public WiFi. BTW, my satellite has a bird-on-a-wire for Direct TV, and after I tune Hughes to the strongest single, I have no TV single until I move the dish about 6-8* east. That has never happened before. What do you think guys, am I beating a dead horse or not? Thanks, Dick T

2006 Volvo VNL 630(VED12 400HP)
10 speed autoshift,3.58 gear 236" twin screw, w/ET, Jackalopee, Blue Dot
2016 Space Craft 37'

Blu/Dot, Dexter 8K triple axel, HD Drum hydraulic brakes

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

I'm now in a park with WiFi, but it's time to pay some bills, and e-file my taxes, and I don't want to do that VIA public WiFi.

With all due respect, anytime you are connected to a site that uses HTTPS protocol, which is pretty much any banking or credit card site and many others, your security is protected by the encryption contained in that protocol. The horror stories repeated on the internet about people being compromised online are almost all associated with people connecting to networks set up for the purpose of stealing information. If you make sure that you are connected to the campground's wifi (or McD's or Starbucks, etc) the chances of someone intercepting your information is exceedingly small.

You, of course, are free to do as you wish, but I always try to dispel this Internet myth whenever I get a opportunity to do so.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Dick,

I think you just have an aiming problem. Sometimes you get a signal on Hughesnet even though you are a few degrees from where you need to be. You'll not be able to peak on that location. Since your DirecTV is so far off, it sounds like that is your problem. It happens to me from time to time.

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

The horror stories repeated on the internet about people being compromised online are almost all associated with people connecting to networks set up for the purpose of stealing information. If you make sure that you are connected to the campground's wifi (or McD's or Starbucks, etc) the chances of someone intercepting your information is exceedingly small.

You, of course, are free to do as you wish, but I always try to dispel this Internet myth whenever I get a opportunity to do so.

Doc, Thanks, I'll look into this site more closely, but we have been here using this site for about 4 days, and already, my wife has had her yahoo e-mail hacked. Maybe not related, but makes one wonder.

Dick,

I think you just have an aiming problem. Sometimes you get a signal on Hughesnet even though you are a few degrees from where you need to be. You'll not be able to peak on that location. Since your DirecTV is so far off, it sounds like that is your problem. It happens to me from time to time.

Rif, Thanks for the post, but in the last 10 days, I have been in 3 different locations, within 50 miles, and can't get any single strength. I really don't care about Direct-TV because that just gives me 250 channels of nothing to watch. The only reason I mentioned it was usually when I get zoomed in on Hughes, my Direct strength is at about 95-100. Now, when I get the strongest single from Hughes, I can't even get a TV single. I'm on 95W, and maybe they are shutting it down? In the past, the key word for tuning, was patience, so I have learned to practice that, but now ??? Maybe some CC/ no water? Are you using Hughes? As always, Thanks, Dick T

2016 Space Craft 37'

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

Dick,

Yes, I am still using Hughes, but only as a backup for those times I can't get Verizon Cell. I have an unlimited plan so most of my data goes there. I do have a BOW on the Hughes dish so it is up every time I stop for the night.

You might want to post your question on the Datastorm Users Forum. It's not real active anymore but some good heads still check regularly and help folks out.

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

Is it possible your bird-on-a-wire got umped?

I used Starband, but we too had the "bird on a wire" for dish and loved it. But I did once have to replace an LNB on the bird and no signal was the symptom.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Dick, I'm not sure if this will be much help because I don't know the technical aspects you're asking about, but just a thought; have you tried changing providers to get better tech support? We have a rooftop Datastorm F2 and two years ago when we switched providers to MobilSat we found better, more responsive tech support than anyone else had given us before. Their prices are very competitive. Also if you haven't already, you might want to post in the Datastorm User forums, they are incredibly helpful there.

We have a love/hate with our dish but it's awesome when you can go somewhere like Big Bend and have no cell service but be online. It really is worth the hassle if you like to go off-grid like we do.

Your problem sounds familiar. Let us know what you find out.

Rene & Jim
Exploring North America since 2007. SKP #103,274

Dick,

Yes, I am still using Hughes, but only as a backup for those times I can't get Verizon Cell. I have an unlimited plan so most of my data goes there. I do have a BOW on the Hughes dish so it is up every time I stop for the night.

You might want to post your question on the Datastorm Users Forum. It's not real active anymore but some good heads still check regularly and help folks out.

Rif,

I have been surfing this site trying to find some answers. I might have stumbled onto something about Hughes changing assigned satellites without even notifying you. Could that have happened? We left Kansas about 2 weeks ago, and at that time my service was fine. Have not been able to get hooked up since. I wonder if that could happen without repointing the dish?? I did call Hughes Tec Support today, and could almost understand what they were saying. She didn't think I was on G-26 4k at first but later changed her mind I think. It was later I found a post on the above forum about the sat change possibility. Anyway, thanks for the site.(I think lol) Dick T

2016 Space Craft 37'

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

• 2 weeks later...

I love this Hughesnet> :angry: We left Kansas again the last of January with good internet signal. Got to the Big Bend in Texas, and could not get any signal strength. Many calls to tec support (India?) no luck. :huh: Left for New Mexico, and Arizona, more calls, still unable to get any signal. More calls. :blink: Then had to return to Kansas for some personal reasons :( , so called Hughes and told them to move our service from Livingston, to Hoyt, Kansas, and send a Installer.(my neighbor). $125. Guess what, they HAD changed my settings! :angry: Got assigned a new satellite after him working for 2 1/2 hours. Now up and running. Not the best winter for us, but still hopeful for a little R&R after getting a few things straightened up, and head back to the SW for the 3rd time this year. Diesel is a little cheaper, but when you use 3 times as much?? :wub: Just dollars! :P Dick T

2016 Space Craft 37'

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

Archived