Badland winch; Opinions wanted

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for opinions on a winch that is sold by Harbor Freight. The winch brand is a Badland and the capacity is 9000lb. The list price is $499.99, on sale for $299.99. I have two questions. Is the sale price a good price ? Second question is about quality. Good or bad quality ? I want to use the winch for loading a Smart car. Is there anything that I am missing ?

Thanks for any help,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

There are videos on Youtube of the Harbor Freight winch. Not as good as a Warn but seem to be a very good value purchase. There is a couple of videos about trouble with the controller. I have a light-wieght (about 2000 lbs) version mounted on my car trailer and it was worked fine when I needed it. I use it on a 2,000+ lb Jeep.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Lot of us have used the Smittybilt 8k with good results. Mine was $299 free shipping. 7 yrs and still kickin

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

I use the 12K harbor freight unit w/ wireless. I pulled a 20' steel Sea Container out of the mud up onto a trailer with it, no problems. For our use would change the steel cable to synthetic winch line, which is what I did.

It may be a little overkill for my 500# bike, maybe that fits well on my class 8 with 2800# on the hitch and 30K# of unused bed capacity. 8-)

ps. Al: if you want to see mine, we are almost neighbors, also the ECR will soon come.

Yamaha V-Star
2007 Kenworth T2000 tandem aircutter
ThermoKing TriPack
2003 Holiday Rambler 36' Presidential
short trips-88 Allegro on Astro

I have three badland winches, 4000, 8000, 12,000. They are all good winches. the only thing i don't like is on the small one it is a wireless remote. It always works but there is a lag time between the time you push button and when it starts or stops. This happens in both directions.

Archived