Targeted advertising is really annoying me

RVRoadie

I've done everything I can think of to avoid this stuff. Since google has most of my email, I avoid using Chrome and google search. Recently I have been using duckduckgo with excellent results.

Then, along comes Facebook. I don't post much, but I do check it regularly to keep up with my kids and grandkids. So today, I get my first targeted ad (I suspect) for Jos A Bank. To my knowledge, I have never seen one of the ads before on Facebook. But today, three hours after making a purchase from their online store, there it is, second item down on my Facebook page. Three hours!

I assume it is my email address that was used to make the connection. I have several, but accidentally used my personal email when I made the purchase, the one Facebook has. It is actually an Apple email address, and I seriously hope they didn't have anything to do with this. They would have see the purchase confirmation.

I don't know why this annoys me so much, but it does.

3rd party cookies will also cause the problem when nothing is blocked. My guess is you shopped, then possibly surfed around for a while and then went on to facebook. That cookie was still hanging in there and facebook picked it up from your history and hence - targeting marketing.

Amazon is really good for this sort of stuff on their home page.

Get a blocker. Kill cookies, Clear histories. Keep your cache disabled or set as low as you are allowed. Close the browser when you think about it or once in a while.

1) If you use the Internet, you should have no expectation of privacy.

2) we all expect everything on the Internet to be free. "Free" is paid for by advertising whether it be your favorite blog, Facebook, Fox "news", CNN, etc.

As others have said, there are ways to keep things sort of under control. Me. I just ignore the ads just like I do on the TV.

I just don't understand being unhappy with cookies, ads and trackers, five minutes installing the blockers I linked to above and then a moment or two on each first visit to set them for the sites you spend time on and ads and tracking are gone. The script blocker takes a tiny bit more effort but it does offer a nice reduction in site's ability to control your browser. Why complain when it is so easy to turn them off?

To clean up a lot of the "stuff" that facebook makes you see, try this:

http://www.fbpurity.com/

It works great and allows you to customize what you see on fb, not what fb wants you to see. Just don't try to tell anyone about this program on fb. They block all messages or posts with fb purity even mentioned. Don't ask me how I know this.

Archived