Targeted advertising is really annoying me

RVRoadie

I've done everything I can think of to avoid this stuff. Since google has most of my email, I avoid using Chrome and google search. Recently I have been using duckduckgo with excellent results.

Then, along comes Facebook. I don't post much, but I do check it regularly to keep up with my kids and grandkids. So today, I get my first targeted ad (I suspect) for Jos A Bank. To my knowledge, I have never seen one of the ads before on Facebook. But today, three hours after making a purchase from their online store, there it is, second item down on my Facebook page. Three hours!

I assume it is my email address that was used to make the connection. I have several, but accidentally used my personal email when I made the purchase, the one Facebook has. It is actually an Apple email address, and I seriously hope they didn't have anything to do with this. They would have see the purchase confirmation.

I don't know why this annoys me so much, but it does.

Sold 1995 Travel Units custom 34' 5th, Off the Road, in The Villages FL
Traded 2005 F350 PSD C/C FX4 with TowBoss for a new 2008 Mustang GT

I use AdBlock Plus and Facebook Ads Blocker extensions in Chrome. I never see ads in Facebook, nor just about anywhere else for that matter.

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

I've recently posted the ad blocking and tracker blocking tools I use in Chrome, I don't see ads aside from a few sites I allow them to appear on to help fund the site.

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=115253

With the tracker and script blocking you remove a lot of the ability to track you across the net.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

3rd party cookies will also cause the problem when nothing is blocked. My guess is you shopped, then possibly surfed around for a while and then went on to facebook. That cookie was still hanging in there and facebook picked it up from your history and hence - targeting marketing.

Amazon is really good for this sort of stuff on their home page.

Get a blocker. Kill cookies, Clear histories. Keep your cache disabled or set as low as you are allowed. Close the browser when you think about it or once in a while.

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

We had all better get used to targeted advertising ----- It is only going to get worse (or better) depending on your outlook. Dennis

Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

1) If you use the Internet, you should have no expectation of privacy.

2) we all expect everything on the Internet to be free. "Free" is paid for by advertising whether it be your favorite blog, Facebook, Fox "news", CNN, etc.

As others have said, there are ways to keep things sort of under control. Me. I just ignore the ads just like I do on the TV.

I just don't understand being unhappy with cookies, ads and trackers, five minutes installing the blockers I linked to above and then a moment or two on each first visit to set them for the sites you spend time on and ads and tracking are gone. The script blocker takes a tiny bit more effort but it does offer a nice reduction in site's ability to control your browser. Why complain when it is so easy to turn them off?

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

To clean up a lot of the "stuff" that facebook makes you see, try this:

http://www.fbpurity.com/

It works great and allows you to customize what you see on fb, not what fb wants you to see. Just don't try to tell anyone about this program on fb. They block all messages or posts with fb purity even mentioned. Don't ask me how I know this.

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

I do a lot of videos and skip it if I can't skip the ad. They are usually in more than one place. The ones that track I ignore by and large.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived