Looking for Workcamper Info

Chief 62

I am trying to compile some information to make a presentation to the BOD at a resort I live in in Fla. The sites in the resort are owner owned with the exception of about a half dozen that the association now owns as a result of foreclosures. What I am hoping to do is show the BOD that by taking on a couple of work camper couples and putting them on those lots we could reduce the payroll of the resort and also improve the overall appearance of the place by having a few extra hands to do some work/security.

I guess what I need to know is what requirements there are in regard to covering the work campers with insurance, how many hours per week is considered acceptable to both parties and anything else you may be able to share regarding getting started doing this.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Gary & Penny

2015 Lance 1172

2005 Chevy 3500

2013 Bass Tracker 190 Pro Team

I am not sure how a private park would work, but many SPs use volunteers as work campers. We will be work camping at Crawford State Park in Colorado this summer. We will volunteer 20 hours each per week and get our site and electric for free. They will also provide us with WiFi and laundry facilities that is only available to camp hosts. You might need to consult with your legal counsel to see if using volunteers on a privately owned resort is allowed.

Many work campers will do a great job around the park, but do not wish to clean rest rooms. The SP we will be at uses paid maintenance employees to clean restrooms. This was one determining factor for us.

If I remember correctly, Salt Springs is a well established park that just needs good handyman type couples that can provide some TLC. The hardest part might be getting qualified persons. That's why it's important to get resumes from perspective work campers, whether paid or volunteer. Also make sure you specify that work campers must live on site, and if they are volunteers, provide them with a written statement showing this requirement. That will help them prove the site is required for income tax purposes. There have been times that the IRS uses the normal cost of the site as income for the volunteers unless they can prove living in the park is a requirement for their volunteer work.

Our association has an architectural committee that approves all improvements to the resort. Thus all improvements must be approved by the committee and BOD prior to an owner starting their project. This did involve quite some time developing guidelines for these requirements, but it was well worth it as there are not any weird looking improvements that do not fall in line with the thoughts of the association. This helps to prop up property values.

All TLC and authorized improvements will help to attract new owners.

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

Wow, 250 views and only one response. I thought for sure I would receive a vast wealth of information. Thanks Medico!

The lack of answers probably comes from the question being one that employers would need to respond to and most of us have never been employers. I think that the key is that you would need to treat the work-camper just as you do any other employee for work related insurance. In volunteer for site situations, most employers still have workman's comp coverage for the volunteer, but your situation is more one of a barter situation. I would absolutely not consider your position if it did not include workman's comp.

I guess what I need to know is what requirements there are in regard to covering the work campers with insurance, how many hours per week is considered acceptable to both parties and anything else you may be able to share regarding getting started doing this.

From what we have seen, the number of hours one is willing to work depends greatly upon what it is that you ask the workers to do and what they get in return. If all that they are receiving is an RV site and perhaps access to park facilities, most common is probably 20 hours of work per week for either one of a couple of total for both. Part of the question is also what it is that you would be asking the work-camper to do for his site and would the worker receive any pay? Does the site include all utilities or must he pay for electricity? Does he have free wifi? All of those play a part in what sort of response you get, as does the location of the park.

Volunteer sites commonly ask for more but they also are usually public service and not private enterprise. Volunteers are usually not asked to do cleaning, while for barter it is very common.

As to the best way to get started, the very best source of workers that I am aware of is the Workamper News so I would suggest an ad in that magazine. But there are outher locations that some have success with and you might even try an advertisemsne tin the "Workers Wanted" section of these forums.

I hope that this is helpful, but if not, give us more issues that you are seeking advice on. :)

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Workcamping positions are so varied its hard to nail down a set of requirements. Join WorkCamper News and read the listings, or read read read on all the forums, not just here. Several things to consider, will the association be willing to pay for utilities, pay a small wage for all hours above the required amount in the contract, be willing to establish a set of concrete job descriptions for the work camper so the workcamper can't be "Bossed" by anyone in the association. Have workers comp insurance, etc.

Kirk covered it above, his keyboard is faster than mine this morning!

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

As to the number of views, that gets a big boost from the "New Content" tools here, folks just open up everything new and look at it briefly to decide if they want to even read the whole post much less respond.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Archived