Chipping the CAT 3126b

yzg

So my son asks me if I am going to "chip" the engine.. huh ?

The is a pre emissions / computer engine I think...he said something about mapping the power band and getting better diesel mileage.. he lost me..

Can this be done to this engine ? I really don't think I need anymore HP with my 5th...I am more into reliability.

Thanks

ian.

If it has a computer and someone makes a tuner that is compatible you could add one, Google with your exact engine info and you should get some hits.

Depending on what is available you could end up with a chip that offers fixed settings that will deliver more than factory power or an adjustable unit that let you fiddle with the computer's settings.

The trade is fuel mileage and reliability for power, might be worth it if the truck is so slow you are not happy as it is a LOT cheaper than a new truck. You do have to pay careful attention to the transmission and engine once you dial it up, too much boost or heat is going to put you in the shop and your credit card in the red in short order.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Thanks.

I have 300 HP with @ 800 lb torque and my rig is only 12.5K pounds. I don't think power is going to be an issue.

I have thought about putting a lower ratio rear end into it but want to drive it for a year just to get a feel for it.

I have worked on a wide swath of engines but this is my first diesel and I really don't want tio mess things up.... and I hear ya on the CC.

Thanks

ian.

We were happy with a 275/800 IH that weighed about 30-32K combined depending on what we were carrying. Sixth gear at 63 on the interstate put us right above the torque peak.

What is your RPM in top gear at your favorite interstate speed? That really seems to be the key factor in gearing a truck that isn't falling over from inadequate power.

Looking at your RPM at highway speed (non-interstate) is also a consideration if you spend a lot of time on them, might find that gearing for a good interstate experience and just dropping a gear puts you near the sweet spot there too.

Interesting.

Apparently, for $ 500.00, I can increase my HP by 30% and increase my fuel economy by 15%.

http://www.tsdieselperformance.com/site/1617113/product/CAT-3126-2001-2005-FREIGHTLINER

On the Bully Dog site, in the manual for this unit it states:

"Always remember to remove the module before taking it in for any kind of service as the module may
interfere."

With this unit, you can stay stock, increase by 15% or by 30%. Increase fuel economy is promised.

I come from an age where if it looks too good to be true.......

It really doesn't make sense...increased power and MPG. Do you n3ed to upgrade the rad as well ? I have read that so say that the chip will make an early life of your engine.

I also read that in RVs (and Firetrucks) this engine put out 330 hp.

Is there a site on the web where you can get all the info on your cat engine..I contacted car a while back but no luck.

I think I am going to hold off.

Ian

We were happy with a 275/800 IH that weighed about 30-32K combined depending on what we were carrying. Sixth gear at 63 on the interstate put us right above the torque peak.

What is your RPM in top gear at your favorite interstate speed? That really seems to be the key factor in gearing a truck that isn't falling over from inadequate power.

Looking at your RPM at highway speed (non-interstate) is also a consideration if you spend a lot of time on them, might find that gearing for a good interstate experience and just dropping a gear puts you near the sweet spot there too.

Stan,

I pick up my trailer mid April. It is about 1.5 hours away so it should give me somewhat an idea what traveling with it will be like..

Speed isn't a big issue with us...we will be retired :) but I hope the sweet spot will be between 60 and 65 mph.

ian.

I chipped and modified my F-250 PowerStroke and it was really a nice change in the power level OR a nice change in the fuel economy. Drive it using the power and the mileage dropped like a brick, tippy-toe the throttle and mileage went up which was hard to do with the fiver attached but not so hard bob-tail. Never measured the power but 3-5 MPG increase in highway mileage bob-tail and on cruise.

I did see a small rise in water temp but I never tried a long steep pull in an Arizona summer. Usually had to back off due to boost and EGT numbers that were out of my comfort level. Transmission temps stayed good as long as I didn't shift often or at full throttle and kept the torque converter locked.

The Allison in the IH never complained in normal conditions but if you let it hunt gears on a long climb the fluid temp would start to ease up and the fan would go to high speed to keep the coolant temp down. Locking it in a lower gear solved the hunting and made little difference in the speed. With the extra power from a chip going to your Allison I'd be a bit concerned about full throttle shifts since they are done with a locked converter.

If this is an out of the box type chip/programmer that fits a multitude of engines, like the Bully Dog, then yes it will work to an extent. At the cost of the longevity of the engine. Most of the diesel programmers do 2 things, increase fuel pressure to the injector, and increase the timing of the engine. What happens is that you will have injector failure earlier, possible engine damage, soot-filled exhaust, cracked or ruptured injector tubes etc.

Now all that being said, I just sold my Dodge Ram that was ah..... slightly modified.....Chipped..... Aftermarket pieces and parts.... and tuned.

But it took thousands of dollars in having bad performance, broken parts, voided warranties, to get a solid dependable fast truck that still wouldn't stop this camper. For those that might understand, I ran a set of twin turbo's, 2 cp3 injector pumps, air dog lift pump, larger valve springs, aftermarket head studs, etc, all to get a truck that would make any of the newer sport cars look stupid, but still tow the camper on the weekends.

If it were me, I would leave the truck untouched, enjoy the scenery, and have an enjoyable ride without having to worry about engine problems.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Jim / Stan,

This is why I asked the question...this forum is an invaluable resource.

Thank-you. We are going to do just that....life is too short to be spending it waiting for the truck to be fixed....

Ian.

Ian

I think Alie&Jim said it best. He tried it. Think you Jim, you conformed my thought on the subject.

Stanley and I both have had good results with our I-H trucks with 250/800 in mine, but I have 9 sp overdrive manuel trans.

good luck

safe travels

Pa

event.png

Glyn (KL0PG) & Diane Carson
2002 I-H 4400 Papa's Dream (Mama's Nightmare)
2015 Space Craft V400
Furkid Max

email: dlcarsonak@hotmail.com

• 2 months later...

Chipping these smaller diesels like the Cat3126B and the Int'l 530/570 is a crap shoot.

There's a reason why engine brakes on these engines aren't recommended as compression pressures increases aren't kind to overheads on these little guys.

The other consideration is cost of reman's for a non-wet sleeve engine versus a wet sleeve build up.

If the truck is Allison equipped then it might be of a generation where the overall H/P & Torque were limited to 300hp/860Ftlbs max for all but emergency vehicles due to Allison warranty limits.

In any case with a 12.5K trailer on the back I would leave it stock and let 'er do her thang without tweaking it to create more heat with longer burn patterned timing.

Today is just the tomorrow you worried about yesterday!

Bruce, Sandra & Scampi cat SKP#86370

I was on another forum where the guys were talking about this subject. Along came a fellow who is an automotive engineer who specializes in designing and building engines for race cars. He stated that it is not worth it to tweak a stock engine that is used in normal use as it is not turning over at the rpms needed to get maximum performance out of it. His advice....leave it alone.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

We have a 1999 FL-60 four door with the same 3126b mated to the 3060 six speed auto, at 62 we are turning 1700 RPM's, if we need more power I drop it down one gear run the RPM's up to 2200 and shift back to 6th, if I were to do any thing I would change the turbo to a bit larger unit and strait pipe it( no muffler ) for now we are keeping it stock

Archived