RV inspectors - Are any of you actively working in that capacity?

BrianT

All, I am new Escapee and brand new to this forum. I have been with Workamper News for a couple years now. I have not taken the RV Maintenance Technician program yet but intend to do so for several reasons. First to be able to take care of my own motorhome issues. They contend that 80% of problems that folks have with their RV are things that are "easy to access and easy to fix", if you know what and where to look. Once learned, I can not only help myself but will be able to assist others that do not have that knowledge.

The Certified Inspector Program IS very new and the NRVIA group is doing as many classes around the country as possible as fast as they can to, as they say to, "Get boots on the ground". They know that they cannot just roll out this inspection business and not have the inspectors to complete the requests. That would be disastrous and create a negative image. I know from talking with Steve Anderson and Terry Cooper that this has turned out to be a much larger and more complicated project than they anticipated but are committed to rolling this out correctly. The Inspector training covers all the main systems found in all RV's such as electrical, propane, water systems, RV appliances, and RV exterior systems. Lets face it guys, there are very few variations offered with appliances. Think Dometic, Suburban, and Norcold. These systems are fairly consistent across the board. One thing these inspectors do NOT do is evaluate the chassis, engine, etc. They do offer a fluid analysis that is sent out for evaluation.

So, NRVIA, is establishing this "network" of inspectors, located throughout the country. They receive requests for inspections from individuals, potential lien holders, banks, etc. and channel these requests to location available inspectors to do the physical inspection. Depending on unit (pop-up to million dollar MH) it may take up to a half day to complete the inspection. One inspection story I heard about was requested by a prospective buyer on a used motorhome. Inspector was going through the systems and finding issues as the original owner was following him at every point. Inspector found a problem and the owner was following up trying to fix the issues as he found them. Turned out, the buyer made a lower counter offer and the owner accepted his bid. Paid to have the inspector there on behalf of the buyer. Another inspection was at a RV dealership. Actually, the dealership appreciated the independent inspection for their buyer and is planning on using the NRVIA Inspection services in the future.

I know that this is a fledgeling start-up and a lot has to be proven and established but I believe it will be successful under the watchful eye of Steve and Terry and will become a well respected resource for those who want to purchase a RV with confidence. Feel free to comment or ask questions. It looks like there is a lot of skepticism out there right now that with a little understanding and explanation can be overcome. Thanks for listening and it is great to be part of this outstanding forum.

Helmsman - Dave

Navigator - Gail

Poop Deck Crew - Louie & Cleo

(Jack Russells that rule the RV)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for your post, Fore Aces. :) And for your enthusiasm.

How far along in the process are you? I know a lot of people are sceptical. It's hard not to be when we've seen so many things that happened in the past that were too good to be true.

Believe it or not, I am hoping this thing is a huge success! I just want to here from someone who is out there doing inspections right now and how the real world is comparing to what was expected.

You gave a glowing report ... second or third(?) hand. Would love to hear about YOUR first 20 or so inspections.

Best of luck, and please keep posting!

All, I am new Escapee and brand new to this forum. I have been with Workamper News for a couple years now. I have not taken the RV Maintenance Technician program yet but intend to do so for several reasons. First to be able to take care of my own motorhome issues. They contend that 80% of problems that folks have with their RV are things that are "easy to access and easy to fix", if you know what and where to look. Once learned, I can not only help myself but will be able to assist others that do not have that knowledge.

Welcome to the Escapee forums and also to the Escapee's RV Club! We are happy to have you join us and we do hope that you will become a regular contributor here.

I appreciate that you are new to the program and while I do appreciate what information you have supplied, it would be very nice to hear something directly from either Steve Anderson or Terry Cooper, since they are the principles of the new organization/business. If that isn't possible, then how about one of them attending the Tucson Escapade to inform the Escapee members at that time?Such an effort would go a low way to resolve the questions here as well as giving NRVIA a lot of needed publicity.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I will contact Workamper News and see if it possible for Steve or Terry to address this forum regarding comments and concerns. I too hold onto a certain reserve because it is so new and does not have a real track record yet. But remember, ALL business ventures start this way, with the unknown. Many fail but others flourish and I believe this one will be successful. I will let you all know what I find out. Thanks for the welcomes.

Helmsman - Dave

Navigator - Gail

One of the big issues facing any inspector, be it homes, RV' s or whatever, is liability for defects you simply miss. Say there is a faint water stain on the ceiling but because of poor lighting, you missed it. The deal goes through. A week later the new buyer sees the stain and takes the rig to an RV shop where they discover extensive wood rot to the tune of $5,000. Now what do you do? Break out your checkbook and write the check??

Before I start laying out money for training, I would sit down with an insurance agent and an attorney to get a good handle on this issue.

Over the years, I've been asked to look at RV's for friends. I always decline by telling them I would feel terrible if I missed something and they bought the rig based on my "inspection". I might not be legally responsible for my oversight but I sure would feel bad.

If I was going to hire a professional inspector, I would want to see a copy of their local occupational license, if required, plus proof of Workmans Compensation and liability insurance. If someone is crawling around on the roof on an RV at your request and they fall off and break their back, who pays? You or the inspector??

After paying for the training, licenses, insurance, etc., I do wonder how much you might net from this venture.

Just some thoughts.

ed ed, all good points. I do know that Inspection Connection requires liability ins. and work comp. Company has a top notch lawyer who is also a CPA. I have met him and he is very sharp. They also require you to file for LLC or S Corp I am sure to protect your assets and theirs. Some inspectors who canvas for clients in their area as well as using Inspection Connection for leads may be able to do pretty good. I am looking at it from a tax shelter/write-off benefit as well as a little extra cash. I do not expect to get rich quick with this plus I am old enough to not be that aggressive anymore. In my first post, my biggest benefit will be being able to handle most issues that come up with motorhome ownership. We all experience those issues. I did call Workamper office to inform them about this forum and this thread specifically. I hope a response will be forthcoming from them. Regards.

Helmsman - Dave

Navigator - Gail

They also require you to file for LLC or S Corp I am sure to protect your assets and theirs.

LLC or Corp won't protect you from liability for your own actions. You can't escape personal liability for the services you render personally. Only good if you have employees or subcontractors.

Good afternoon, everyone. I was informed today of this forum topic and have enthusiastically joined this group in order to be a reliable resource to questions regarding NRVIA or RVIC! As a representative of both NRVIA and RVIC, it is my intention to help clarify some of the questions and concerns that many of you have regarding these two separate companies. If you ever have questions regarding these companies or starting your own inspection business - I am happy to help. You can contact me at swilley@nrvia.org or swilley@rvinspection.com.

NRVIA - National RV Inspectors Association

You can view this company as the credentialing agency. It is the association that A. establishes the standards and code of ethics for which a Certified RV Inspector must successfully learn and maintain, B. provides the education and training for becoming a Certified RV Inspector, C. exists to educate the public on the importance of having an RV inspected prior to a sale - whether that is from the buyer or seller's perspective.

NRVIA has two ways for you to become an Inspector. You can do your entire training online (the $499 that many of you refer to) OR you can attend an approved live training course (currently the www.rvtechcourse.com). The hands-on course, taught by Terry Cooper and Steve Anderson does also teach you the technical knowledge and skill set you need to be able to troubleshoot and perform 80% of your own RV maintenance. Along with that training, the items to become a Certified RV Inspector are provided to you, thus your membership to NRVIA is included in the registration rate.

Once you've completed the testing and are 'certified', you are able to market yourself and your own inspection business and perform RV inspections in your area as a NRVIA Certified RV Inspector. We list you on our membership directory so the general public can find you on our Get an Inspection page. NRVIA DOES NOT SCHEDULE INSPECTIONS NOR DOES IT MAKE A PROFIT FROM INSPECTIONS. We are only the 'education and training' organization. We are currently working to provide our members with an inspection software they can use to create professional reports for their independent businesses.

Membership dues are an annual renewal and we do require each inspector earn an additional 24 hours of continuing education following their initial year. Those hours can be earned through courses we offer through our membership portal, by attending the annual NRVIA Conference and/or by approved courses taught by other associations that relate to the RV Inspection industry.

RVIC - RV Inspection Connection

RVIC is a completely separate organization. The purpose of RVIC is to perform and provide professional and high-quality inspections. We have a nationwide network of inspectors, who are Certified by the NRVIA. Because we pride ourselves on having top-quality inspections, we contract with inspectors once they've completed an advanced course currently taught by RVIC inspectors which not only provide each inspector with hands-on training, but also teach them the systems and software we utilize for our reports. Our inspectors then are required to perform two mock inspections - one on a motorhome and another on a towable and are reviewed for approval. Only then do we clear them to receive paid inspections. They are required to maintain the supplies and tools they need to perform the inspections and since they are contractors, we have a 50/50 split on the inspection fee that is paid by the customer. RVIC essentially takes care of all the 'administrative' side of the inspection order and the contracted inspector performs the actual inspection and creates the report. Our inspectors are required to maintain their own liability insurance and have a minimum of $1M in coverage.

Although we do invest heavily in marketing the need for an RV inspection to the general public, we encourage our inspectors to market themselves as well. We advertise mostly in online communications and through social media but it is up to the individual inspector to market his/her local area in printed publications and online/social media for their local market. Nearly all of the orders we have received have come from customers who found us through an online internet search by using keywords such as 'RV Inspection in Dallas' or 'RV Inspection in Florida'. We encourage our inspectors to contact local dealerships and service centers to market their inspection business and when we receive an order that has come from the advertising of an inspector, we pay them an extra 10% of the inspection fee for their referral work.

We encourage our inspectors to travel - therefore a full-timer would find no issue with being a Certified RV Inspector and contracting with the RVIC organization. It is true that it is more difficult for the constant roamer who never really sits still long enough to receive work. We typically get calls for an order within the next few days, and for someone who moves every few days, that is difficult to line up but not impossible. Most of our inspectors stay in an area for a few months at a time, which works well.

We began business in 2014 and although the number of paid inspections is not as high as we would like (can you ever have 'too much business?'), we are thrilled that we have successfully completed paid orders in Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Massachusetts, North Carolina, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and Wisconsin.

General Information

There have been some questions/statements said on this forum that maybe I can help answer/clear up.

The Second thing is that I have yet to talk to a single person who has told me that they are now RV Inspectors and are working in that capacity and doing well at it. I realize it's a fairly new program so I may be premature in expecting a lengthy history. But I've got to think that if the program is such a success, that there must be -somebody- that's successfully doing this.

To date, RVIC has had 17 different inspectors receive orders. Some of those have had multiple inspections. It depends on their location and the need for that area. Right now, we receive calls each week for an area that we have no inspectors. We try and have the client pay a mileage fee for an inspector to travel 300+ miles to perform the order, but most customers are not interested in doing that. We refer them to visit the NRVIA site to find an independent inspector in their area if one exists.

We (NRVIA and RVIC) need more inspectors nationwide. How can we handle all of the inspection requests if we do not have inspectors in all areas? We have plans to change that and hope that by the middle of 2015, we will be in a better position to take all inspection orders that come through our online request system and the calls we receive.

The who are "they" question was directed from the consumer point of view. The general population of rvers do not know their name or how to contact them. How many referrals would you get? It will take time for them to become know so people know who to call when they need a tech or an inspector. Until then.....

Anyone who owns their own business should put forth the effort to market themselves and their services in their immediate area. We not only have advertising in the areas I mentioned earlier, but we attend and do face to face marketing at RV shows. We will be at 3 different RV shows this next month. Every successful business has started at Day 1 or Point A. It takes a lot of time, money and other resources to get a company off the ground. We ask that our inspectors join us in educating the public and therefore this is why we pay out referral fees to successful sign ups or inspection orders.

In the early years it is "their" responsibility to invest "their" money in getting "their" name out there and build their reputation and a need for their services. Asking associates to invest by paying annual dues before anyone knows of them or their services and without and chance of reward (i.e. an ownership position and share of future profits) is an interesting business model and one in which I would be leery of "investing". Most organizations in their formative years at least allow "grandfathering in" as a way of compensating the existing membership for using their reputations to build the brand. I see no such option with NRVIA.

We granted over a hundred NRVIA members with grandfathered status for their early investment into NRVIA. The grandfathered members will not be responsible for yearly dues, only their continued education requirements.

If their primary goal is to sell training, they may rig the test to be unanswerable without going through their "training". I wonder if they will release a sample test so we can check?

Just as any educator would not give their students a copy of an exam prior to the test date, we also will not release copies of our exam to non-members or members in training prior to their successful completion of the training materials. Our system is designed to allow you to progress through each training section and quiz on the current section before moving on to the next section. If you are unsuccessful in the section quiz, then you should review the section training and retry the quiz. The two final exams are taken after all sections are successfully completed. Therefore, you can pay $499 today and be a NRVIA member, but you are not Certified as an RV Inspector until you successfully complete the online training and pass the exams. We have a technical knowledge and skills exam AND a Standards of Practice and Code of Ethics exam. Both are required to be Certified.

It would also be nice to know if their business was successful and even to hear how some of their customers feel about the inspection service.

Of the inspections that we have completed at RVIC, we have had nothing but glowing reviews of not only the professionalism of our inspectors but also the staff who work at RVIC and the quality of the report they receive. You can visit our Facebook page where we occasionally post customer testimonies. We've saved clients from purchasing units that were trashed and we've helped lower the sales price of units that were found to have major and minor repair needs. We serve to only inform the customer of the true condition of the unit - never the value nor do we offer to do repairs. We uphold our claim to be unbiased and abide by the NRVIA code of ethics. You can do a search on Facebook to find some of our inspector's pages. Feel free to contact them and ask some of your questions.

To learn more about NRVIA and RVIC, please listen to this podcast produced by RV Daily Report.

National RV Inspectors Association - NRVIA is a membership organization providing certification and credentials for professional recreational vehicle inspectors across North America.NRVIA’s mission is to provide credibility through the testing and awarding of credentials to qualified inspectors. NRVIA Inspector members are required to follow specific Standards of Practice and a Code of Ethics that will ensure the consumer will receive an inspection of the highest quality and caliber.

RV Inspection Connection - The RV industry deserves a professional RV inspection company that will provide quality RV inspections for the millions of used RVs on the market today. That’s where RV Inspection Connection can help. We are America’s only nationwide RV inspection company and we are committed to providing professional quality RV inspections.

My name is Bryan and yes I am a Certified Inspector. I am new to Escapees,as I am new to forums.

I did go through the Courses offered. I went to the RV Tech Course. It was 5 days with hands on training and lots of class time.

I have been Rving now for 26 years. I consider myself some what rv savvy. I can take care of most items that go wrong with your rv.

But can say that taking the tech course there was a lot I did not know.But feel much more comfortable taken on more in repairs and more with taking care of my own rig. This was main reason I took this course. I feel any full timer could benefit from taking this course.

From there I did go on to take the advanced training course to become a Certified Inspector. It too was a 3 day course.

Again I was glad I took this course. I have started my own business as a Certified Inspector and have done inspections.

As with starting any business there are start up cost. I look forward to the growth of the Rv inspection business. I am proud of what I have done, feel this is a service that we can offer to future Rv buyers whether a new or used rv. And knowing they can be confident

in their purchase.

Welcome, Good to have folks with information to share on this topic since so many new owners are asking about inspections before they buy a new to them rig. If you look through the forums you'll see other business folks that have tucked their commercial contact info into their forum signature, that helps folks find you and keeps you within the rules for commercial posters.

You don't have to by any means but you might even want to join Escapees (memberships are on sale) and/or become a commercial member. You can call the club office and chat with them to see if either would be a good fit for you. Phone 888-757-2582, 936-327-8873 or email clubbusiness@escapees.com

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

First, welcome to the Escapee forums and thank you for bringing some "official" word to the discussion. I commend you, as well as Steve & Terry for getting this started as there is no question that there is a need for more RV inspectors and for some standard to be applied. While I understand that the business is new and everyone has to start somewhere, I do have some questions/suggestions for things you may want to consider.

NRVIA - National RV Inspectors Association

You can view this company as the credentialing agency. It is the association that A. establishes the standards and code of ethics for which a Certified RV Inspector must successfully learn and maintain, B. provides the education and training for becoming a Certified RV Inspector, C. exists to educate the public on the importance of having an RV inspected prior to a sale - whether that is from the buyer or seller's perspective.

Are you the only organization at this time attempting to create some sort of inspector certification? Have you been making an effort to work with the RV dealers and dealer organizations to gain acceptance by them as well as by the buying public? What of the companies that have already established themselves in the inspection service business, have you made efforts to join forces with them or to create some type of standardization?

NRVIA has two ways for you to become an Inspector.

Does this mean that one who is already successful as an RV inspection business must still attend one of your courses to become a member? Do you then plan to at some point allow one to take your tests based upon past experience and training without paying to be trained again? If not, why not?

To date, RVIC has had 17 different inspectors receive orders.

Do you mind sharing information about how many training classes have been held by NRVIA and how many are scheduled to be held? Also how many have been certified as compared to the 17 that are participating in RVIC?

We granted over a hundred NRVIA members with grandfathered status for their early investment into NRVIA.

Who are these "grandfathered" members?

Thank you again for sharing and I wish you only the greatest success. It is long overdue for someone to begin this kind of an effort and on a national level. Please do come back and update us all on the progress that you make.

Hi Kirk! Hopefully I can help with these questions, thanks for asking! This past October, we had our first annual NRVIA conference and had several individuals attend who were just interested to learn more about NRVIA. If anyone is interested in learning more about NRVIA, this may be a great way to come spend time with us and meet other Certified RV Inspectors who are working a successful inspection business. 2015's conference will be held October 24 & 25 in Heber Springs, AR, following the Workamper News Rendezvous.

Are you the only organization at this time attempting to create some sort of inspector certification? Have you been making an effort to work with the RV dealers and dealer organizations to gain acceptance by them as well as by the buying public? What of the companies that have already established themselves in the inspection service business, have you made efforts to join forces with them or to create some type of standardization?

As far as we know, NRVIA is the only certifying agency for RV Inspectors. We have established relationships with the RVDA and RVIA and will continue to work with them as we build this association. Not only are we looking to create a relationship with other inspection service businesses, we are also working to spread the need for standardization in all RV Inspection businesses. We have dealerships and service centers who have contacted us to come and teach their service techs or other personnel to help provide a better service to their customers. As those personnel complete the NRVIA training, they become Certified RV Inspectors.

Does this mean that one who is already successful as an RV inspection business must still attend one of your courses to become a member? Do you then plan to at some point allow one to take your tests based upon past experience and training without paying to be trained again? If not, why not?

An individual who is already successful as an RV Inspector would want to join online, pay the $499 and complete the quizzes and exams to earn the Certification. To certify someone, there must be an exam, to take the exam, there must be proof that there is successful completion of the technical knowledge and skill set. The program is self paced. We have had several members join with an extensive RV technical background and complete the training in less than a day. Others with no background or technical knowledge can take days or even weeks. It is completely up to the individual.

Do you mind sharing information about how many training classes have been held by NRVIA and how many are scheduled to be held? Also how many have been certified as compared to the 17 that are participating in RVIC?

The approved hands-on course that is 5-days, currently taught by Terry Cooper and Steve Anderson, has been held once or twice a month since early 2013. Not all attendees of that course choose to become a Certified RV Inspector. You can find that class at www.rvtechcourse.com to see the upcoming dates and locations. NRVIA currently has over 200 members, the majority of those being Certified RV Inspectors. If a Certified RV Inspector chooses to contract with RVIC, that is their choice. They can operate independently and many of the NRVIA members are independent inspectors.

Who are these "grandfathered" members?

These are the members who joined during the first several months.

Thank you again for sharing and I wish you only the greatest success. It is long overdue for someone to begin this kind of an effort and on a national level. Please do come back and update us all on the progress that you make.

You're welcome. Please do not hesitate to call or contact us directly. 1.855.472.9948

To learn more about NRVIA and RVIC, please listen to this podcast produced by RV Daily Report.

National RV Inspectors Association - NRVIA is a membership organization providing certification and credentials for professional recreational vehicle inspectors across North America.NRVIA’s mission is to provide credibility through the testing and awarding of credentials to qualified inspectors. NRVIA Inspector members are required to follow specific Standards of Practice and a Code of Ethics that will ensure the consumer will receive an inspection of the highest quality and caliber.

RV Inspection Connection - The RV industry deserves a professional RV inspection company that will provide quality RV inspections for the millions of used RVs on the market today. That’s where RV Inspection Connection can help. We are America’s only nationwide RV inspection company and we are committed to providing professional quality RV inspections.

As both a Certified Member of NRVIA (National Recreation Vehicle Inspectors Association) and RVIC (Recreation Vehicle Inspection Connection) as a private contractor I would like to address some of the questions and comments brought up in this forum. I have been an RVer for 30+ years from tent to Class A Motor home.

As many of you, I first started noticing ads for Campground RV tech training in the Workamper news back in 2012-2013, this perked my interest. In 2013 the ads changed to “Become an RV Inspector, this got my interest even more. The only thing holding me back was the cost and the location of the courses. I was already doing most of the repair on our class A. We finally decided to take the course in February while in Florida.

The training was everything it was outlined to be, with part of the day (optional) was optional business training to become a contractor for RVIC. The cost of this 1 weeks of training was $1,750.00, the cost of travel and camping at the location of the training. After this week we were considered Certified RV Inspectors and could join NRVIA.

The next step to become part of the RVIC Network was to attend AIT (Advanced Inspector Training) Class. This was only necessary if you wanted to contract with RVIC. We attended the AIT Course in Virginia at a cost of $300 + the cost of travel and camping at the location of the training.

The further requirements that you have to comply with if you want to become a contractor with RVIC are: 1: You must complete 2 mock inspections, one on a Travel Trail and one on a Motor Home, fully submit the inspections for approval. 2: Set up a business either an LLC or an S-Corporation This cost $1,200. RVIC has a legal firm which offers this service, which includes all of the paperwork needed filing and helping you get set up for tax purposes. 3) Obtain Liability insurance for $1,000,000, you can obtain this insurance as a member of NRVIA at about &750.00 4) The only other items we needed to contract with RVIC were Uniforms, and Necessary tools (most of them we already had).

Total investment prior to any paying inspections was around $3,500. Inspections to date 2, Income to day $1072.00.

Do I think it is worth it and why contract with RVIC? Yes, because I believe that the RVers and the RV industry was in desperate need for this type of service. Contracting with RVIC was an important influence when I made a decision to contract with them. 1) The founders of both NRVIA & RVIC are Steve Anderson (Owner Workamper News) & Terry Cooper (The Texas RV Professor) are both very dedicated & committed to the RV industry. They have put together a superior team that is dedicated to the RV Inspectors and the clients. 2) RVIC has the direct contact with the client from the initial call to the assembly of the report, including obtaining payment of inspection fees prior to the inspection. You do not have to worry about are you going to get paid. 3) The additional training and information that they have made available help all of us to become better inspectors. 4) You have the ability to travel wherever you want and you will still be eligible for inspections in the area you are in.

I just completed a Premier inspection which took 6.5 hours included 3 fluid test, took 4 hours to complete & submit the paperwork, traveled 45 miles each way and this inspection netted $734.00.

It does not matter what type of business you are planning to start you will have a sizable investment which you mayl not get back the first year. So I am not concerned with the initial lack of business as any company that starts out it will take a while to be known.(especially when you start out on a National scale) . The process, programs and staff are in place now, but we will need to qualify additional inspectors because we do not want to turn down any inspections in any part of the country.

Yes, we are looking for additional inspectors.

If you have any further questions or comments please e-mail me: neatnick1@gmail.com

Let me endorse what Brian just posted! I very much appreciate the reply of swchord as well as the new post from Neatnick. Welcome to the forums Nick. I hope that you stay around and continue to take part in all of the forums. This is something that is a very needed service so I sure hope that you succeed!

If I might, I'd like to ask one question for the prospective customer. When buying an RV the cost is always a consideration so would it be possible to give some feel for what a customer might pay for an inspection? I'd expect that the cost would be greater for the larger RVs than for a small travel trailer or popup?

Great question! RV Inspection Connection prices their inspections according to the type of RV and the level at which you purchase. There are three different levels of inspection for Class A Diesel, Class A Gas, Class B, Class C Gas, Super C Diesel, Fifth Wheel, Travel Trailer and Pick-Up Camper. We only have two levels for the Pop-Up. Visit www.rvinspection.com/inspection-types and you can click on the type of RV you have/looking to purchase for the correct prices and the items that come with each level. We offer an Essential, Essential Plus and Premier level inspection. That can range anywhere from $295 for the towables to $1,249 for the Class A Diesel. We do not price according to length of unit because a 40ft fifth wheel is different from a 40ft motorhome, etc. You can download sample reports from our website by visiting www.rvinspection.com/sample-reports.

If you contact a Certified RV Inspector who is an independent inspector, meaning they are not contracted with RVIC, then the pricing will obviously be different - you'd have to contact them directly for that quote and what was included in the report. Hope this helps!

While my first reaction was that the price seemed a bit high, having reviewed the report listed I have changed my mind. This is the most comprehensive inspection report that I have ever seen and I have examined reports from a few others in the past. The rates are at the top of the range of inspection fees which I have heard of, but the report goes far beyond any of those which cost less. At 41 pages for the motorhome and 14 for the fifth wheel, I'm guessing that they were not the same level inspections, but both do an outstanding job of representing the condition of the RV. It would be nice if which level inspection each of the reports is were to be listed with each sample. The photographic support is a major plus of these reports.

If you are considering the purchase of any used RV, I' sure suggest that you take a look at what these reports give.

I should have said that the sample reports are only a partial report for public viewing - we do not have a full report to show online. Those both were for Premier level inspections.

I contract with and pay RVIC for an inspection which RVIC subcontracts to the inspector of my choosing. Take Ed Ed's missed water stain scenario (post #30), RVIC has primary liability for faulty inspections. So what warranty provisions does RVIC provide to protect me against those faulty inspections? Does RVIC carry Errors and Omissions Insurance? Or does the fine print state RVIC's liability is limited to the inspection fee and my recourse would then be against the inspector directly?

I don't believe regular liability Insurance covers Errors and Omissions on services - I believe that requires a separate policy. Are inspectors expected to indemnify RVIC? Do you require that inspectors carry E&O insurance as well as liability insurance? (Incidental and consequential damages will bankrupt most inspectors and with an RVIC indemnification clause, the inspector is ultimately liable for all damages which RVIC agrees to pay but the inspector doesn't get a vote.)

As a Working contractor for RVIC, I to was concerned with the amount of time it is taking this business to get up and running, yes we have a lot of money invested to be a contractor and thus far the return has been very little.

First and foremost you have to understand what Steve Anderson and Terry Cooper are trying to accomplish, They are developing a National organization for RVers that will allow them to get their proposed purchase of an RV inspected.(something that was missing in the industry. To accomplish this they have had to bring in top people all around them. (The quality of any business is the people you have working around you and their dedication toward what you are doing) Terry & Steve have accomplished this. There were times we went backward and then forward again but I feel very strongly that we have a top notch, very dedicated organization. If you or any of your friends call for an inspection they will get a top notch inspection.

If you have not check out our web site: http://rvinspectionconnection.com/

If you would like to view the cost and what is inspected go to: http://rvinspection.com/class-a-motorhome-rv-inspection/

If you were to order a Premier inspection it would cost about $1,249.00, with 164 inspection points, 75-100 photos, 2 Fluid samples ( either Engine oil & Engine coolant or either Generator or Transmission in place of the coolant. This inspection would take between 6-7 hours on site and 3-4 hours compiling the report, Generally the report would be in the clients hands 2-3 business days.

I feel we have a superb team, who are dedicated to the clients and the RV Industry. Check out the RVIC web site.

If anyone would like to discuss this please send me an e-mail and I will be glad to call you! neatnick1@gmail.com

The OP's post questioned whether they should join the organization and if they could make any money. Part of that question is the inspectors liability and what do the organizations bring to the table for the high cost of participation. ($3500 + 50% of any fees charged.)

They set up a certification organization NRIVA to certify the quality of their inspectors. Then, to protect NRIVA from liability for the actions of those inspectors, a separate service corp: RVIC from whom actual inspections are ordered.

Then RVIC, in the inspection agreement, limits their liability to the original inspection fee paid for their services. (See Para 4 of Inspection agreement I have to sign when ordering an inspection.) Leaving my only avenue for recovery for a faulty inspection against the inspector personally.

So, while NRIVA Certification may be valuable from an advertising aspect, what does RVIC bring to the table for their 50% of the fees I, as an inspector, earned for them? (50% of gross revenue for advertising is out of line for any businessman)

As an inspector, I could easily advertise my services online and offer the same report for far less and net more - i.e. Social Media, Craigslist, RV Parks etc and tout my NRIVA certification.

As a RV'r needing an inspection, I could also contact local RV Parks, Craigslist, etc seeking an NRVIA certified inspector and request the same inspection that RVIC provides but offer the inspector far less that what RVIC would have charged me. Win-Win for inspector and RVr. (Escapees could even host a list on these forums of local inspectors with NRIVA certification and save their members up to 50% on inspection costs.)

If RVIC, to protect from this scenario, requires an exclusive, how can they say the inspector is an Independent Contractor?

NRIVA certainly cannot limit its certified inspectors to offering their services solely through RVIC.

RVIC must bring something to the table for their 50% - that being a warranty of services and raise that limitation of liability clause to something reasonable to say $50K.

Then RVIC, in the inspection agreement, limits their liability to the original inspection fee paid for their services. (See Para 4 of Inspection agreement I have to sign when ordering an inspection.) Leaving my only avenue for recovery for a faulty inspection against the inspector personally.

I believe that this clause is in other types of inspection agreements as well. I know that it was part of the contract when we had a house inspected prior to purchase(I just looked at the contract for our home-base inspection) and am pretty sure that was true for our previous home as well. That is a pretty standard liability agreement. I wonder if you could sue the inspector either with that in your contract?

There has to be a line somewhere in what we demand of an inspection service in order for the cost of the inspection to be affordable. Since you probably can't roll that expense into the purchase financing, you must do something to hold the line on costs. Insurance expense has to be figured into the price of each inspection. More liability on the part of the inspector, higher price for his services.

I don't fault RVIC for limiting their liability, I question the value of what they bring to the table for effectively doubling my inspection costs.

Remember, RVIC is separate from the certifying entity. While the certification may have value, what do I get for using RVIC rather than dealing directly with the NRVIA certified inspector?

While the certification may have value, what do I get for using RVIC rather than dealing directly with the NRVIA certified inspector?

Excellent question.............. I wonder what one of the certified people who have not joined NIRVA would charge for the service?

I have watched all the ads. The Workamper News is filled with ads for the inspector and rv tech training. Having been involved in RVing for about 30 years, I advise people to use an experienced RV tech for an inspection, someone that has seen it all and knows what it would take to repair. If you want to take the courses for your own benefit and the money isn't a big deal, why not? I knew someone that went to the 10 week course for RV tech in Florida, a full-time RVer with a degree in Aviation Mechanics and he said even with that course that he really only learned the basics and had so much more to learn. I know someone that used one of the inspectors and I forewarned.................... Really, I just don't see how you can do an adequate inspection if you haven't done repairs in the past, if you haven't seen a lot of different units and saying things are pretty much the same really, they can really vary and you'll be dealing with units that may have things covered up on purpose..............

The training is putting a lot of people out there with high hopes. I think there are a lot of good questions here. Keep in mind that this is a "product" being sold. I think the costs of both the RV inspector and RV tech are out of line and I think the cost of getting set-up will be a shocker!

So many people don't realize that they pay for these inspections and have no real recourse after they read the small print. The housing inspectors have that little clause too.

Cathy

Archived