Pellet grills v2

joshdoe

Not to revive this thread, wanted to ask: what pellet grills do you recommend for camping? Apart from Traeger, which options do I have?
I'm cooking for 2-3 persons usually (also like the portability of the smaller grills), and I'd like to grill steaks, smoke ribs, and have a griddle for pancakes, veggies. Budget is about $500.
Have some options on my mind, but would like to hear from you first. 

update: seems like almost everyone is happy with their Traeger's (unfortunately, it doesn't work for me - got one, used one, had to re-sell it), gladly there were other options mentioned as well. Forgot to add, that I've ordered a GMG since they had a nice discount, and now it's on it's way to me. 

Edited by joshdoe
update added

The popular one I seem to see in the Davey Crocket from Green Mountain grill, we camped with some friends who swear by it and our son just bought one for himself, so far he has been pleased.

https://greenmountaingrills.com/products/grills/prime-wifi/davy-crockett-pellet-grill-wifi/

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

My son is a big fan of Green Mt. He talked me into buying the Davy Crocket model. It was a good smoker. Worked on 12v or 110v. Came with a 12v plug, 12v clip on cables for a battery and a 110 adapter to plug into an outlet. I ended up giving it to my son for when he goes camping because he has a large Green Mt smoker at home. I like to BBQ a steak and the smoker took too long to slow cook, so I went back to my Weber 2000Q using propane. I am just too impatient to wait for my steak to slow cook. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Just now, Twotoes said:

I like to BBQ a steak and the smoker took too long to slow cook, so I went back to my Weber 2000Q using propane. I am just too impatient to wait for my steak to slow cook. 

You not have to slow cook a steak. I can crank my Davy Crockett up to 550 degrees if I want to straight up BBQ a steak.I like to reverse sear them, i.e., smoke them for a bit, take them off to let the grill to get really hot, then put them back on to sear and finish off.

Back to the thread - I had a Traeger Tailgater but find the Davy Crockett to be easier to handle and run with its 12v/110v options plus I like the wifi so I can control it from inside and with the  probe in see the temp of the meat. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Look at Country Smokers wood pellet grill/smoker on Amazon.  It's identical to the Traeger.  I have seen it on amyzon for $199, just have to watch the pricing.  I plan on getting this one if/when it goes back down.  I bet it's made by the same company as the Traeger one.  I've heard nothing but good reports about it.

Edited by NDBirdman

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

Howdy!

I purchased a Traeger portable pellet smoker at Costco a couple of years ago easy to store in the 5er and cooks great. I looked at the Davey Crocket but like the Traeger as it was smaller and easier to store as mentioned.

” Happy Trails “

Chiefneon 

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

On 11/29/2019 at 1:19 PM, chiefneon said:

I looked at the Davey Crocket but like the Traeger as it was smaller and easier to store as mentioned.

Which model did you get? When I had my Tailgater it was the smallest available. I see they have a couple smaller ones now.

Edited by Chalkie

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

2 hours ago, Chalkie said:

Which model did you get? When I had my Tailgater is was the smallest available. I see they have a couple smaller ones now.

Howdy!

I purchased the Scout list below.
https://www.traegergrills.com/pellet-grills/portable-series/scout-pellet-grill

” Happy Trails “

Chiefneon 

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

Son-in-law talked Traeger Traeger Traeger. I did some research and told him to go look at Green Mountain. He bought the GM Daniel Boone wifi version Grilled burgers and steaks on it, came out great. smoked the turkey. Everyone enjoyed. He loves the app for his phone and all the alarms he can set, doesn't need to keep going out and checking the smoker. Full control of smoker from phone.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/28/2019 at 1:44 PM, Twotoes said:

My son is a big fan of Green Mt. He talked me into buying the Davy Crocket model. It was a good smoker. Worked on 12v or 110v. Came with a 12v plug, 12v clip on cables for a battery and a 110 adapter to plug into an outlet. I ended up giving it to my son for when he goes camping because he has a large Green Mt smoker at home. I like to BBQ a steak and the smoker took too long to slow cook, so I went back to my Weber 2000Q using propane. I am just too impatient to wait for my steak to slow cook. 

I can’t tell from the pictures but do you think you could smoke a Boston butt on the Davey Crockett or would it be too small?  

On 12/22/2019 at 1:57 PM, Sam said:

I can’t tell from the pictures but do you think you could smoke a Boston butt on the Davey Crockett or would it be too small?  

I have both a Traegar and a Davey Crockett. The DC will easily fit a butt no problem. You can get another butt in there if you want or maybe add a chicken or two.

In fact I use the Green Mountain more than  the Traegar

I camp with my GMG Davey Crockett and have the GMG Daniel Boone at home.  I can do a 9 lb. pork butt, 10 lb. brisket or two racks of ribs on the Davey Crockett.  I like the 12 volt connector on my Davey Crocket and added a 12 volt outlet on the outside of my coach to utilize just the 12 volt portion of the cord.  During camping season, we smoke nearly every weekend.

I replaced my Weber Q2200 with the Davey Crocket and have not missed the Weber.  I can smoke or grill with the Davey Crockett.  

Barb, Lyle and the 4 four-legged kids
2015 Solitude 369RL
2018 Ford F350 DRW

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

• 10 months later...

Hijack alert, 

I have a Davy  Crocket and it does not get used all that much. Going on Three years and have maybe used 3 bags of pellets. It's not  that I don't like to cook on it, but the legs/handles are not what I thought they would be looking at it in the showroom. It's a real pain to set up if you carry it with the handles and a worse  pain to slide it in and out of the area I store and transport it in. Has anyone modified the legs to make it easier to move and set up? 

I do like the meals I have cooked with it. During the "Shutdown"  I cooked many meals on it, because it took all day. Now that I'm back to work I don't have the time to "Smoke" things. I do miss the smoked bacon and sausage though. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

• 1 year later...
On 11/29/2019 at 12:00 PM, NDBirdman said:

Look at Country Smokers wood pellet grill/smoker on Amazon.  It's identical to the Traeger.  I have seen it on amyzon for $199, just have to watch the pricing.  I plan on getting this one if/when it goes back down.  I bet it's made by the same company as the Traeger one.  I've heard nothing but good reports about it.

Otayy, got one, have used a couple of years.  The one I picked up is cantankerous at the very least.  Temps float +/- 20 degrees, digital controller will often give error notice and not work.  I can/do use it but I would not buy it again nor would I recommend it to anyone.  Get a Traeger and don't look back.  Well, the only thing I can say good about it is while it is heavy, it's easy to move around.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

• 2 weeks later...

I have cooked in many competitions and own a boat load of smokers. I personally have GMG davey crocket in the motorhome.  I sold both traegers, a GMG daniel boone and a couple others to buy the rec teq.   I still have a few stick burners, but home use i go rec teq every time and motorhome i go GMG.  a long time ago the engineer for traegers auger system went to the owner and told him the patent was about up. they didnt care, so he left and created GMG with the upgrades that he wanted to put in.