Question about a Winegard G2+ Antenna

I purchased second hand a Winegard G-2 to be used for Direct that is one year old. No manual or "Power Inserter" was included. The seller couldn't remember using the power inserter and couldn't find one. Will it work without the power. Inserter? My receiver is Direct HR54/700....... Jim Ault

Update. Upon reading other questions on this forum, it is stated Direct will stop sd this year. Can Winegard update the G2 for HD?

Edited by overlander
Update another question.

21 minutes ago, overlander said:

I purchased second hand a Winegard G-2 to be used for Direct that is one year old. No manual or "Power Inserter" was included. The seller couldn't remember using the power inserter and couldn't find one. Will it work without the power. Inserter? My receiver is Direct HR54/700....... Jim Ault

Howdy!

I don’t know what a “power inserter” is. My G2 came with a single coax cord that plugs into the G2 and then into a 12 volt cigarette lighter type source. I used a 12 volt converter to power ours when setting up. Once satellite sign was established it unplugged and put the cord away.

Winegard should be able to supple you with the needed power cord.

” Happy Trails “

Chiefneon

Edited by chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

I am waiting for more feedback on my post about the G2+. I still don't know if I need the "Power Inserter" to set it up or to run it.  And a Power Inserter is used on the SWM system and I had that system for several years. It was used to bump up the voltage to 18 to power the LMBs. " SWM power inserter". This copy was taken from my old literature stash. Jim

The Carryout G2+ does need a power inserter to operate. The power inserter contains the circuitry that determines the satellite service that it is set to use ( dish tv, direct tv or bell ). 

2006 Chevy Duramax, DRW, ext cab, Long bed, Reese 18K hitch
2011 Carriage Cameo

Ham radio operator, WA3UOE

And to answer your update; No, neither the G2 nor any other dome style dish can be upgraded to receive DTV's KA band HD programming. It's expected that some of the HD programming will be available on at least one of the KU satellites that domes can receive though.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

With all due respect, this thread is a hodgepodge of misinformation.  The G2 doesn't need a power inserter if it is used with a receiver that can operate in multiplex mode, which means any receiver or DVR with  model number less than 25.

Receivers with model numbers 25 and higher are SWM only, but the G2 can be used with those with the addition of a power inserter and a SWM switch,  There are two coax outputs possible from the G2. Just follow the instructions in this document.  Guide for using Winegard equipment with SWM receivers

As for HD, the G2 cannot receive the Ka band transmissions from the 99 and 103 satellites which are where the HD channels currently originate from.  However, within the next year (or two) DirecTV will be broadcasting most HD channels from the Ku band 101 satellite which the G2 can receive.  As long as you have an HD receiver and pay the associated fee, you should be able to receive most HD channels with that device.  It's my understanding that 99 and 103 will primarily be used for local channel programming which you wouldn't be able to receive because it will be on the Ka band.

I hope this clears up some things.

Joel (AKA docj)

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Joel, how would the G2+ know which service's sats to use without the Winegard power inserter and its service selector switches? Are you confusing the G2+ with the G2?

Dutch

10 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

how would the G2+ know which service's sats to use without the Winegard power inserter and its service selector switches?

Yes, the G2+ has a control box which allows you to switch between 101 and 119.   The Wineguard manual for the dish does refer to this as a power inserter.  But in DirecTV standard lingo, a power inserter is the device used to provide power to the LNB in a SWM configuration.  This is an unfortunate choice of words.

It should be noted that the Wineguard manual does state that the G2+ can be converted to SWM in accordance with the procedures shown in my previous link.  Even though only one coax is provided, the manual clearly states that it is to be connected to the "primary" port which implies that there is a "secondary" port which can be used for a second coax which will be needed for SWM operation.

FWIW because of the presence of the Wineguard G2+ power inserter, I would recommend using the Wineguard SWM conversion kit unless a wiring diagram for the G2+ using SWM can be obtained.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

48 minutes ago, docj said:

Yes, the G2+ has a control box which allows you to switch between 101 and 119.   The Wineguard manual for the dish does refer to this as a power inserter.  But in DirecTV standard lingo, a power inserter is the device used to provide power to the LNB in a SWM configuration.  This is an unfortunate choice of words.

It should be noted that the Wineguard manual does state that the G2+ can be converted to SWM in accordance with the procedures shown in my previous link.  Even though only one coax is provided, the manual clearly states that it is to be connected to the "primary" port which implies that there is a "secondary" port which can be used for a second coax which will be needed for SWM operation.

FWIW because of the presence of the Wineguard G2+ power inserter, I would recommend using the Wineguard SWM conversion kit unless a wiring diagram for the G2+ using SWM can be obtained.

The G2+ has a power inserter that replaces the separate power connection the G2 uses. It provides power via the coax to the entire dome including the LNB. The inserter also contains the selector switches for using the G2+ with DTV, Dish, or Bell. On the G2, those switches are under the dome.  The G2+ "Power Inserter" is what the OP is missing. The G2+ can be used with an SWM receiver, but it requires a ~$100  SWM-840 kit and a second coax connection with its own DTV power inserter.

"The Carryout G2+ antenna is not compatible with DIRECTV SWM-only receivers (e.g. H25 or Hr34). If you have a SWM-only technology receiver, Winegard Model SWM-840 kit is available. this SWM kit will allow for proper SWM technology operation with Winegard mobile satellite TV antennas."

http://www.winegard.com/support?support=Receiver_Setup_Guides (page 1)

https://www.winegard.com/wp-content/uploads/dealertraining/SWM Tech Guide.pdf (page 29)

Dutch