Getting Packages

There are several ways to get packages when on the road:

General Delivery to the local post office

See if the future campground will accept packages(or some other establishment)

I read that UPS and FEDEX would not accept packages if there was no street address. I thought great, I can send my Amazon packages to General Deliver with no street address and it will go via USPS. No such luck, UPS still picked it up and of course it was undeliverable with no street address. Even if I had a street address who knows if the PO would accept it. I did call the PO I was sending my packages to and they would accept General Delivery. After I redirected the packages to the local UPS center I went to get them, no problem. This worked out OK since we were in the city where the office was.

I thought possibly I could have a package with an address of a UPS store. Apparently not, a UPS store will hold your package after a non-delivery.  But then, who knows if a UPS store will be convenient.

Forget Amazon lockers, they are non-existent outside of big cities.

I called Amazon and managed to get transferred to a supervisor. He told me he could fill out a form(proxy?) saying I want my packages to go to USPS as the first choice, and UPS as the second choice. I need to test this but we are heading into Canada so it will be a while before testing.

I hope this helps those who didn't know any of this.

I've had USPS packages sent to a franchised UPS Store when one was convenient. I did have to fill out a form ahead of time and pay a small fee ($3?), but they had no problem accepting the package. I've also had a number of packages shipped shipped to "Hold for Pickup" at FEDEX and UPS distribution centers. For Amazon packages, the UPS Store is probably a good choice since they'll accept UPS, USPS, and FEDEX packages.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I just had wine delivered at a store.  They had them as alternative places to have them shipped as the package needed to be signed for.  And Amazon has boxes in several retail locations that you can utilize.  I either have them shipped to me at my lot or picked them up at the post office under general delivery. Soon a drone will just drop it at your door. 

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

These are solutions that work if you have a UPS or Fedex where you are going. But what if you don't? Your only choice is USPS.

Amazon lockers are only in big cities, no place where we go.

I am looking for solutions for when you are on the road(6-8 months of the year), not stationary.

26 minutes ago, SWharton said:

I am looking for solutions for when you are on the road(6-8 months of the year), not stationary.

If there is a FedEx or UPS distribution center near you can go to it, but they are not located in every small town. Even so, we did manage with service from one of those 2 or the USPS for 12 years on the road and for seasonal travel as recently as 2018, when we were near Washburn, ND (population 1246). I guess that I never thought of communities of that size as large cities. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

You were lucky. We are in West Glacier and the nearest UPS(where are packages were being held) is in Kalispell, 90 miles away. There may have been a UPS store closer but UPS didn't mention any to me and since I didn't have internet I couldn't look anything up.

3 minutes ago, SWharton said:

You were lucky.

I don't know that I would consider it luck as we chose the location knowing these facts and we then spent several months there by choice, just as we used to do several times each year. Washburn has only 1 small grocery, 3 local restaurants, 1 hardware, 3 fuel stations, 1 bank, a post office, an implement dealer, and 4 churches. Nearby there was a state park (9 miles) and a state historic site (2 miles). To do any major shopping, visit Walmart, see a doctor, or most business we either visited Bismark(45 miles south) or traveled to Minot(70 miles north). This is typical of where we spend our summers by choice. When you live in an RV, you choose where to spend your time.

We love rural America and it is there that I grew up and where many of my family & friends live today. If you wish to experience the small community lifestyle you have to accept that you won't have all the conveniences of city living. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We like smaller towns also. Our surprise was that UPS took the packages since they did not have a street address on them and according to their website all packages must have a street address. Trying to talk to UPS 800 number is a challenge, both times I called I had someone who spoke poor English.

I have also wished that Amazon could automatically ship USPS if you select a General Delivery address for an order. You would think with all thier tech they would be able to do this.... good to know there is a form, but sometimes it's more practical to use UPS or FedEx, so I don't want a permanent change.

2005 Freightliner Century Class S/T, Detroit 60 Series 14L, Eaton Fuller 10spd Ultrashift, w/3:73

No photo description available.

I have it set up as USPS first, UPS second. I'll try it send see how it goes. Amazon did say that not everything can be sent USPS but I don't think anything we order has a problem.

He did say that a lot of people ask for this option and I asked him to pass the request on.

I also asked if I could specified USPS in the "special instructions" , he didn't think that would work.

UPS only does that for packages where they are under contract with someone(Amazon). Even with Amazon, they will not deliver is there is no street address and even if you put in a street address many USPS do not accept UPS packages addressed to General Delivery. 

I have used WalMart on line with in-store pick-up as a option. Works good but not as wide of selection as Amazon, but many other stores will allow in store pick-up. Problem with Amazon is most items you need now require a day or so for delivery or lost. Searching locally for businesses that may have your items can put items in your hand less than a 100 mile drive. If your more remote than that, do as we did 60 or so years ago find someone in town that will accept packages.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

For us it is the convenience. If I could control delivery better I could plan ahead. I usually like to order a week ahead or so with delivery to a small town. When I am in a city there is less of a problem.

Small towns don't carry much. I needed ink in a town for my printer(I thought I had a spare), no one carried ink for printers.

Rather than chasing around and wasting time it is easier to order and have it delivered. Amazon pretty much is 2 days or less. I find Walmart is all over the place from 2 days to a week(even though it says 2 day pickup) and I have to plan on a Walmart stop which may or may not be along our route.

So we can tell Amazon that we want everything sent USPS? Great! How to we convince them of that? We're holding off on some purchases just because we can't be sure of where or how packages will be sent.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

In theory. I have not tested this yet. Heading into Canada so probably won't for 4-6 weeks.

I talked to a CSR she offered this to me, she didn't sound too secure in her knowledge so I asked to talk to her supervisor. He entered into my profile that I wanted USPS primary and UPS secondary. I can live with this if it works. 

If this works please post.

In 4 years of full timing this has not been an issue.  99.9% I have it delivered to the campground.  They deliver it to my rig or drop it off at the office.  Most TT takes every carrier but USPS but charges a $2 fee a handling fee at most of them. If they do not take USPS you have to do a general delivery at your local USPS.  But make sure that they do it.  They also only do it for a short period of time, under 30 days.  Anything over that you will need to open up a PO Box. This is not a firm rule but is what I have been told by many post offices.  But if you only have a couple packages over a month or two I would think you would be fine. Just remember they are doing you a favor by receiving your mail and holding it for you.

Edited by rynosback

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

8 hours ago, MidMOTraveler said:

UPS is a first carrier, then pass along to USPS (known as “Surepost”) 

So UPS will bring it cross country then sort at the nearest facility then deliver to local post office for delivery. 

If your in really small towns it may add a day to delivery. 

Using my UPS MyChoice account, I can elect to have individual SurePost packages delivered by UPS instead of USPS for an additional fee.

Dutch

13 minutes ago, SWharton said:

Still the same problem. I don't have a street address.

General Delivery, Hold for Pickup, UPS Store, a friendly local store, etc., would seem to be some of your options then.

Dutch

Stores don't carry much. Printer Ink, new cord for a computer, parts for the RV.

Dutch, general Delivery only works if it initiated via USPS.

We won't have a physical address for any length of time until November when we are back in winter quarters.

In remote locations, I've even made arrangements with a local diner in the nearest town to receive a package for me. In one place a few years ago, when I asked a park ranger for suggestions for receiving a package, he offered to receive it at his home and drop it off to me. Other times I've arranged for packages to be received at a UPS Store, Mail Box Store, or similar mail service stores that we'll be passing by in a few days. Sometimes you just have to think outside the box a little...

Dutch