Proper adhesive for vent

ODogs

Hello all,

I'm in the process of installing plastic vents on the exterior of my trailer in order to decrease the interior humidity while in storage. What type of adhesive chalking should I use to properly bond the plastic to the aluminum? Although the new vent has holes for screws around the perimeter, I'd prefer not to screw it, rather use an adhesive chalk instead. Thanks

Hi Odogs! Welcome to the Escapees forums! Lots of good folks here that will try to help.

What kind of trailer? Are you making holes and putting in new or do you already have vents and you want to put a vent cover over it like this https://www.campingworld.com/maxxair-i-original-roof-vent-cover-translucent-white-1733.html?cgid=vent-covers#start=6&cgid=vent-covers ? Vents in the roof or sidewalls?

Is your rig aluminum? I am not understanding what the question is about.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Another Welcome to the Escapee forums!

I would agree with RV that I am not sure what you want to add, but recommend one of the vent covers of the type that he suggested. Amazon has several brands available and most of them come with installation instructions. Vent covers of this type are very easy to install and do not require any type of glue. At this link you can view a video of installing one from Camco and others will be pretty much the same. I have used these on my last 3 RVs and will install them on any future RV that we own.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Sorry for the confusion.

Simply, I have vents (not vent covers) I'm installing (new, plastic) on the sides of my aluminum trailer approx 3.5" x 10". There's a flange with holes for screws around the perimeter of the vent, just like installing a new window in your home.  However, I don't want to use screws, just epoxy or other adhesive to seal it and bond it, such as an adhesive chalk.  I'm going to use what I have and not exchange it for an aluminum vent. I just need help selecting the proper chalk/adhesive/epoxy that will bond the plastic vent to the aluminum exterior wall of my trailer.Thank you

Sometimes it is not as easy to understand and this time fills that description.  Are  you trying to put some kind of vent to cover an opening on the veritical side of your rig like a window. I guess we are trying to understand what type of opening you are trying to cover. Also is this a permanently stationary rig?  If it is going to have to move on the highway it would have to be pretty secure to keep from blowing off or being damaged.  IE;  I once forgot to close a crankout window on a camper shell and poof it went away at highway speed. I don't forget anymore.

Edited by bigjim
spelling

On 3/20/2019 at 9:33 AM, ODogs said:

Sorry for the confusion.

Simply, I have vents (not vent covers) I'm installing (new, plastic) on the sides of my aluminum trailer approx 3.5" x 10". There's a flange with holes for screws around the perimeter of the vent, just like installing a new window in your home.  However, I don't want to use screws, just epoxy or other adhesive to seal it and bond it, such as an adhesive chalk.  I'm going to use what I have and not exchange it for an aluminum vent. I just need help selecting the proper chalk/adhesive/epoxy that will bond the plastic vent to the aluminum exterior wall of my trailer.Thank you

Eternabond tape has a variety of tapes which MAY adhere to your plastic however I don't know for sure if any of them will work with your plastic.   Go to Amazon.com and search for "eternabond tape" to see a selection of their tapes. 

The problem is, lots and lots of adhesives adheres to aluminum.  However "plastic" is a different animal.  There is a lot of plastic which needs a very specific adhesive for the specific plastic.  This makes it very difficult to give a quick answer as to which adhesive you need.  It just depends on the plastic.  What makes this even more difficult is unless one of us has experience with the specific plastic you are using it may be difficult to provide an informed answer. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

I ran a test a couple of months ago on some PVC board.  Tried silicone, construction adhesive, 2 types of urethane. The only thing that didn't pull off the PCV was Geocel ProFlex RV. Proflex takes 5-6 days to cure.

Use some Eternabond DoubleStick tape to hold the vent to the wall then caulk it with ProFlex RV.

2011 Cameo 34SB3

O dogs I believe you're talking about one of these: RV range vent or one of these: RV vents. I caution you on using what you think is a permanent adhesive on a plastic exterior vent. Using butyl rubber caulk tape allows easy removal and replacement of the vent when sun damage or an errant baseball breaks it. Now let's face it, you are going to cut a large rectangular hole the vent cover will cover. The holes the screws will make, through the vent flange and putty, are nothing. But you won't have to deal with damaging the aluminum sides of your rig when the epoxy/glue/cement won't come off. Is your vent in the second link? If so, post its link here.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire