Buying an rv.

My husband and I have just became full time RVers. We found out in the last 5 months that our 26 foot toy hauler is not big enough. It’s short on storage for what we to bring with us. So we’re looking at upgrading to a fifth wheel. My question is do you use your domicile address or one of your kids address as a home base. 

We use the Escapees Mail Service as our address and have everything registered in TX. Having your children do this can be dicey. They are busy with their lives and tend to put things like this on the back burner. Also, many times you mail may require a trip to the Post Office which can be very time consuming and out of the way. With a mail service, your accumulated mail is sent whenever and wherever you want. A mail service eliminates potential family conflict. 

Welcome to the Escapee forums! 

I'm not entirely sure what you are asking. Domicile is where you register vehicles, insure them, get your driver's license, vote, and do all of your legal business. In most cases that would be at your home-base if you have one but many fulltimers do not have any home-base. Some people do use one of their children, another relative, or a friend as a legal address and/or mail service, especially if they choose to domicile in a state that requires a physical address for domicile, which most states do. For a better understanding of what domicile is, I suggest that you read Choosing a Full-time Domicile and then take a look at some of this information from the Escapees RV Club website.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We're domiciled in South Dakota, so that's what our drivers licenses say, that's what the license plates on the Foretravel and Lincoln say, that's where we vote and where our mail goes. The mail is held there until we tell them to send it somewhere.

We thought about using one of our children's addresses, but quickly realized that for two of the three, we would have to pay income tax and the third has so much going on that mail would be forwarded on a hit-or-miss basis. Another argument against using family members' addresses is that if that family member moves, you "move" too. Now, if the family member is firmly tied to a particular address AND they are willing, it may work for you.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Archived