LifeSong

2017 Dynamex Rev 24RB

Helping each other is what the Escapee organization is all about. There were others who helped all of us when we were new so we just pass on to the next group as payment of the debt that we owe to those who came before us. I appreciate the opportunity to do so.  

2 hours ago, LifeSong said:

Do I not need to worry about the weight in the truck/truck bed when staying below the 50% of the GVWR?

My reference to 50% to 75% was regarding the truck's towing capacity. The towing cap can be found online at Ford, GM, or Dodge Ram websites. I have a Ford so am very familiar with how detailed and informative this site is, as well as a pdf I'll try to link here.. https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/Ford_Linc_17RV&TTgde_r6_Nov8.pdf Some folks say that these numbers are optimistic and are achieved under ideal circumstances, but it's what we have to work with and staying under the printed towing capacities by 50% to 75% creates a nice safety margin for towing. As well as stopping, the braking power of a vehicle is not mentioned in tow capacity charts and we're left to assume that if a truck can pull it then it can stop it. Again, being well under the towing cap of a truck can only be beneficial here. Sorta parallels the phrase you may have heard, or will, "you can't have too much truck".

As mentioned, all vehicles have a GVWR and it's wise to stay below that weight, as well as staying below the GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) of a specific tow vehicle, this is found in the owner's manual. The GVWR you'll find on a sticker on the door jamb of both truck and trailer as well as on the side of the trailer. The cargo capacity is what you can carry and stay under that number. Cargo capacity is very vehicle specific as it depends on how the vehicle is optioned as these items have weight.

Hi Lady Song,

Wow, that was one impressive road trip in your Ford Windstar!!!

LOL, the Bigfoot 21’ is one of three molded fiberglass campers that we would consider at retirement. The other two are the Oliver 23.5 and the Escape 21. I am definitely a fan of molded fiberglass. You should attend some “egg” rallies for molded fiberglass trailers. We average about 6 per camping season.

Very interested in hearing what you end up doing!

Happy Camping,

Dean

15 hours ago, LifeSong said:

Thank you so much rm.w/aview.  Solid advice about towing capacity limitations and the extra storage in the truck bed.

Sorry for the newbie question here😊  Do I not need to worry about the weight in the truck/truck bed when staying below the 50% of the GVWR?

Hi LifeSong,

In my opinion, cargo carrying capacity (payload) is one of the most overlooked numbers in the truck/trailer equation. Tow capacity is very important, but not the only variable. GVWR & GCWR are variables as well, but generally speaking if you focus on tow capacity and payload, you are well on your way to focusing on a great tow vehicle. 

Quick example. Our Casita weighs 2,910 lbs. The tongue weight is about 375 lbs. Our ‘09 Kia Borrego Limited V8 is rated to tow 7500 lbs with up to 750 lbs on the hitch (tongue weight). From a tow capacity perspective, we have plenty of extra capacity if we wanted to upgrade and get a bigger trailer. However, my cargo carrying capacity of the Borrego is 1,154 lbs. You have to subtract the tongue weight of 375 lbs from the 1,154 along with my weight, Laura’s weight, our camping gear, Gibbs (our Maltese), etc. We are still well under our 1,154. However, if I bought a larger trailer that weighed 6,000 lbs, I still have a tow capacity of 7,500. Assuming a tongue weight of 600 lbs, I am only left with 554 pounds of payload. By the time I substract our body weights, gear, pets, etc. I will go over my payload rating, particularly if they are any additional passengers.

The bottom line is that most tow vehicles when towing a trailer will run out of payload long before they run out of tow capacity. 

In terms of tow capacity, I would want my trailer to weigh no more than 60% to 75% of my truck’s tow capacity (my opinion).

If you end up with a Bigfoot 21’, you would want a tow vehicle capable of towing the Bigfoot along with the payload capacity to handle the tongue weight and your gear, etc. inside the truck. Many 1/2 ton pickup trucks would do a fine job towing a Bigfoot 21’. Tow capacity of  the truck is also related to the rearend axle ratio. The Bigfoot 21’ is not a huge trailer, but at the same time will still require the appropriate tow vehicle.

Happy Camping (and enjoy the research process),

Dean