Using Escapees TX address, but can I domicile anywhere in TX?

SueB

Hubby and I are selling our home and heading out full time in our 5er in 2 weeks.  I've signed up for Escapees mail forwarding.  I've read everything I can find about domicile in TX but don't find an answer to my question.  

As long as we can provide the necessary documents, can't we domicile anywhere in TX, but use our Livingston mailing address for licenses and registration?

Confused.  

6 minutes ago, SueB said:

As long as we can provide the necessary documents, can't we domicile anywhere in TX, but use our Livingston mailing address for licenses and registration?

Welcome to the Escapee forums!  We are always happy to have new folks join in.

I'm not quite sure what it is that you are asking. If your official address is Livingston, TX you will then need to register & insure the vehicles in Polk County and that is where you will vote. Both of those are things which are tied to your legal address. As far as other business, banking, doctors, and whatever else is involved it could be most anywhere in TX and still support your claim to TX domicile. Your mail does not have to go to your domicile so if you currently have a home in TX and a physical address that those required items can be sent to, then you would have no problem at all in doing that. We currently have our home-base in Smith County, TX and it is our domicile but we do use the Escapee mail service for some things, while all of our business ties are somewhere in TX and most are here in Smith County. Motor vehicle registration and drivers licensing must be to your legal domicile address and they do mail things to that address but most mail can go anywhere.  When we are traveling, we just put in a temporary forwarding order at the post office to shift all things to the mail service but that is limited to no longer than 6 months. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I'm confused about what it is you're trying to do.

Are you going to use your Escapees address as simply a mailing address, but you're going to get your driver's licenses, vehicle registrations, insurance, and registering to vote elsewhere in Texas?

If so, I'm not sure why you would want to complicate your life like that, but I suppose it can be done.  The biggest problem you *may* have is in registering to vote or getting insurance outside of Polk County without having an address in the whatever county it is you're planning to make your domicile.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

7 hours ago, SueB said:

I think you are confusing domicile with residence. Domicile is your official address for things like licenses and taxes. Residence is where you live. Most of reside in our RVs so don't have a permanent residence address. Thus we make a mail service place our official domicile. If you intend to live long term some place in Texas but use the mail forwarding service at Rainbow's End in Livingston then the place you reside would be your domicile and you would do your licensing there. OK. That still sounds confusing. Maybe it would help if you tell us where you plan to live?

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

25 minutes ago, sandsys said:

I think you are confusing domicile with residence

I am thinking that Linda may well be correct so you might find it helpful to this article that should help to understand. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I use the Escapees South Dakota address as my domicile. My drivers liscense and tags for my vehicles are So Dakota. I am registered to vote in SO Dakota. My vehicle and health insurance are So Dakota. But my mail still goes to Livingston, except anything related to my license, vehicles and insurance which goes to the So Dakota address. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Archived