Hwy 2 thru Nebraska

Twotoes

I will be in Custer State Park the week after Labor Day and then head to Omaha NE. I usualy take I-90 east to Sioux Falls and then go south on I-29. I am thinking this time of taking Hwy 385 south to Aliance NE and getting on Hwy 2 thru NE to Grand Island jumping on I-80 to Omaha. Has anyone traveled Hwy 2 thru NE? I usualy stay on the interstates but want to try some of the back roads and see more of the country.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

It has been some time but I have traveled all of that route and it was a good one, but I suggest that instead of going down to another interstate highway, why not take US20 east from Chadron and then US75 south to Omaha? That way you will see a lot more and experience small-town America. It was a few years ago that I last traveled most of that route, but it has always been reasonably good, lower in traffic and you actually see something!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Either route is beautiful country. If taking HWY 2 cut off at Ansley and take 92 into Omaha. Way less traffic than I80 into Omaha.

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

Stop in North Platte for the Bailey Yard.  Huge railroad yard with retired railroad docents in the lookout tower.  There is/was a Passport America campground on the east side of town. 

And stay off the interstates they can be bad for your mental health. Small towns give you more to see and do. 

Try US 6 across Pennsylvania. Great trip, lots of neat towns.  Roughly parallel to I  80. 

Bill

Bill & Lynn Baxter

MCI102A3 Conversion, Detroit Diesel S50  

dolphins.jpgVisitedStatesMap.jpgVisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Archived