Satellite Antenna

blrdck

I have been reviewing this forum and haven't seen this question addressed directly. I am getting ready to purchase a stationary automatic Dish satellite antenna. I have a Dish VIP211K receiver in the RV using only one TV with a hard drive for taping. I am looking at the Winegard PL7000 Playmate and Pathway X2. One is about twice the price of the other and I cannot see the difference. Is one better than the other, if so why.?

Don’t know anything about the Playmate but I had a Pathway X2 when I had a 5th wheel. It is not a stationary dish it is a portable dish. It works GREAT. I also had a 211k with an external hard drive. If I was going to be parked somewhere for more than a week I would put the X2 on the roof, otherwise I just put it on the ground. Either way it worked. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

The X2 is capable of using either Dish satellite arc, increasing your aiming opportunities on sites with trees or other obstructions. There are also a number of east coast areas where the local channels are eastern arc only.  The Playmate is a western arc only dish.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

If I were going to get a dome antenna that worked with Dish, it would be the Pathway X2 for the reason that Dutch mentioned.  I believe the X2 also has a larger dish inside the dome than the Playmaker, making for better reception.

However, you're going to have a problem taping programs with your hard drive (or any DVR-type receiver).  A dome antenna only has one LNB, so it can *see* only one satellite at a time (although it can toggle between the three).  What that means is that you can watch a program while taping another only if those two programs are on the same satellite.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

What that means is that you can watch a program while taping another only if those two programs are on the same satellite.

Or you watch a prerecorded show while taping another on any of the three satellites. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Fulltimer

A few years ago we bought a Tailgater which is the predecessor of the Playmate and the reception was poor. We took it back and got the X2 and were happy with it. 

The X2 dish is about twice as big as the playmate dish and you can get the eastern arc when needed.  

2013 Newmar Dutchstar 4318

2019 F150 KR 4X4 

BlueOx 10K Tow Bar

I've watched folks setting up X2's, Tailgaters, and other dome models many times, and I really can't say that I saw any significant difference in the effort involved. 

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

11 hours ago, whj469 said:

I would not want to set up the Pathway X2 every few days. Someone above stated that the Pathway is portable and it is but not as portable as say a Tailgater, I also have one of those.

Good Luck

There is no difference setting up the Tailgator vs the Pathway X2. I have set up the X2 numerous times for 5 years. You just place it on the ground, or on your roof, attach the coax cable, plug the other end of the coax into the receiver ( the X2 is powered via the coax cable so no power cable is required) and it will search for the satellite 🛰. You can even buy a small tripod to place it on if you want to. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Fulltimer

Yes I have the tripod for mine. There is a big difference between a Tailgater, which I have also, and the Pathway X2.  One receiver for the Tailgated, one cable and you have TV. I unpack the Pathway X2, unlock it, place it in the tripod, secure the tripod to the ground and level it. Two cables and you have two TVs. It takes me at lease 10 times the time to setup the Pathway X2 compared to the Tailgater. That is why I don't use the Pathway X2 for a day or two. I take the time to set it up for the entire Summer. If you don't think that there is a difference maybe you have never done it!

I have a good tripod and will be setting it up for long periods of time. My question was the difference in the capability of the X2 compared to the others. I have a regular dish now and it makes me forever to get locked in on the satellite. Looking for a better way.

Archived