What RV to choose best compromise between economical, clean, spacey and quality (not prone to breaking)

ggrv538

I sold my condo in bay area and has reasonably large stash of cash now is expected, this translates next several years of living in bay area and in which rent cost has skyrocketed. I am either thinking studio (still as expensive as 2-3 bedroom somewhere else), or roommate or RV.

I am wondering what is best RV? I am thinking some used model smaller not huge hulky but still gives an impression of spaciness. 

There are seems to be RV trailers also which is well considered because I dont want do drive around RV everywhere so anything that used F150 can tow around? 

"Can tow" is important because I towed onetime the trailer with my acura TL, which, although has enough power but not designed for towing and later some sort problem and shakiness developed somewhere in engine mounts or some other parts. 

Thanks!

To be perfectly honest, I would not even consider an RV in your upcoming situation.  First of all, you will be limiting yourself to way under 400 square feet.  On a used unit, or new for that matter, there will be maintenance and upkeep.  RV stands for "recreation vehicle" and really most are not intended to be permanent stationary residences.  They depreciate so it really wouldn't be much different than throwing rent money away.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

Welcome to the forums!

I agree with the previous reply and for several reasons. You live in an area with very limited places to keep your RV and the ones available are very expensive. In addition, an RV that is suitable for living in as a permanent home is also expensive as the cheaper ones are only designed for intermittent use and all RVs are very small when compared to an apartment. Then to consider something that can be safely towed by an F150 will mean that the travel trailer will have to be one of the lightweight models that are 20' or less in length. It is very difficult to find an RV of 100 square feet living space that feels roomy! 

Before you start to shop for an RV you need to find a place that you can live in it and see what that will cost you. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Actually if it is at all possible your best solution to to move out of the very high cost State Many do this and there are States with a much lower cost of living out here.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

I don't think you will find affordable RV parking in the bay area even if you could find a quality but affordable RV. Probably best to put your money in the bank and let it earn interest while renting. Even a studio apartment will be bigger than most RVs and certainly require less maintenance.

If you are determined to buy an RV look for one with lots of windows as the best way to get a sense of spaciness.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

The first thing I would do is to go visit the local Bay area campgrounds, take some pics and jot down the price. Ask to see the long term spaces and then you will find out if they allow long term resident parking. Here is a list to start:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=San+Francisco+RV+Resort&filters=ufn%3a"San+Francisco+RV+Resort"+sid%3a"c58ad8fd-726f-35e0-a7b7-6a3e777de5ad"+segment%3a"generic.carousel"+secq%3a"bay+area+rv+park"+supwlcar%3a"1"+tsource%3a"Campground"+catesegtype%3a"Campground"+cack%3a"81214752-2d64-429b-841a-94c32238f831"+geo%3a"37.646265%2c-122.492281"+segtype%3a"Q2FtcGdyb3VuZA%3d%3d"+ctype%3a"0"+mltype%3a"0"+eltypedim1%3a"Campground"&FORM=SNAPCR&crslsl=0&efirst=1

I was in Morgan Hill back in 2000 for a Tech startup that fell through with the crash in mid 2000. We had our 36 foot HitchHiker RV and Prices then were unbelievable. But if you are well employed in the area they may not give you sticker shock.

Maple Leaf RV park, where we stayed in Morgan Hill Ca to be close to Santa Clara where the owner lived, have their own Park model RVs you can rent.

https://www.mapleleafrvpark.com/buy-rv-s

See if one of your local parks has those and try one out for a few months and see if the RV type of interiors and appliances suit you. Living in a park will give you a feel for RVrs that are longer term than I was as we traveled to see the whole North American continent for 7 years. Here is their website as an example, but too far from S.F. OK for San Jose.

Another advantage to living in a rental for a bit is that you will have more opportunity to find RVs for sale by RVrs. Some cheap! Some folks jump right in and then realize it is not for them. So the wife or husband leaves or threatens to and they need to sell at fire sale prices. You may prefer a park model that you don't move. If you want to travel to get anything over a Scamp 5th wheel you would need a bigger truck like a 1 ton dual wheel to be safest and most stable with a larger yet still modest fiver.

I have an RV that I wanted to try for years, a Scamp 19 foot fifth wheel, and were I single, and had not gained so much weight, it would be ideal for one for weekends. They have a Reese ball hitch standard that is at the same height as a regular Holland type 5th wheel hitch. I have a Reese 5th wheel hitch and just took it off the rails and this one fit right on the rails. You can tow it with an F150 like a 1 ton can tow a 30 footer. You will not know it is back there. I would never have a Travel trailer to live in because of the lack of basement or storage and the Scamp has the same limitations. I am about to sell mine. because we are moving and buying another home, but in Colorado now. Can't stand the heat in the South. Winters are cool with us.

We just sold the ideal long term 5th wheel last year, a 2003 28.5 foot Sunnybrook 2850 SL. We lived in it when we were having this new manufactured home put together.The SL has an aluminum frame, and a tall inside ceiling with a flat roof made of 3/4Marine plywood instead of particle board as many are today. We bought it super cheap so we had less in it than a good used one without a leak. The leak had done no damage and had just started. Most folks  One thing you need to do is check with an RV dealer and see what the cost for reroofing a 30 foot fifth wheel as a good middle size before you buy because the roofs really last only 10-15 years if kept indoors and cleaned/treated correctly. I would expect to re-roof like I did mine before the leak grew, any ten year old or more RV with a rubber (EPDM) roof. If you buy new figure on ten years. Sunnybrook is out of biz. It costs the same to roof one as an inexpensive used fiver costs.

But again, first go to the local parks for prices, rental opportunities, and to meet other RVrs doing what you are thinking of doing.

Good Luck!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

My 2 cents would be an answer to "best rv that isn't prone to breakdowns". There is no such thing as a best rv. It depends on what your budget is and how you plan to use the rv. ALL rv's have issues, they ALL have breakdowns, or repairs. While one manufacturer may build a quality rv there are other things that break down, refrigerators, ac's, furnace, water pumps, etc, etc. Those are all made by different manufacturers. Our 5'r is a quality made unit, however, we have had repairs, the ac in the living room has been replaced twice, the rv frig cooling unit went out 3 times, the bedroom slide needed repair on a Lippert Scwintek channel slide system. None of those things were made by Drv, our manufacturer. So, sorry, but there's no right answer to your question. Other posters have given you good advice about the cost of rv living.

Jan & Thomas

2012 Drv Mobile Suite 5'r

2012 Ford F350 Super Duty

Archived