Windows 10 Spring Creators Update: Act fast to delay this big upgrade

RV_

Another Ed Bott timely article. Next month, April 2018, we will begin receiving the latest major upgrade to Windows, I call it the second anniversary update. This is different and larger than the usual monthly patches. You can delay it until the bugs get worked out only if you are running the Pro, Education, or Enterprise editions of Windows.

Each time Microsoft rolls out a major upgrade to Windows 10, you have the option to wait a few months before you install it on PCs running Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise. But you have to act quickly.

Excerpt:

" [Note: This article was originally published in mid-2016 for the Anniversary Update. It has been completely revised and republished for subsequent Windows 10 feature updates. This revision covers version 1803 and was last updated 21-March-2018.]

Sometime in April, Microsoft's update servers will begin delivering the Windows 10 Spring Creators Update, version 1803, to current installations of Windows 10 that have been running for at least 30 days.

Also: How to take control of Windows 10 updates and upgrades (even if you don't own a business)

This is the latest feature update in Microsoft's new twice-a-year release cadence, and you should view it with the skepticism any initial public release of a new Windows version deserves. In a business setting, that typically means delaying the upgrade for a few months while you deploy the new release on a smaller number of test devices.

This deferral process is available only on PCs running business and education editions, such as Windows 10 Pro, Windows 10 Enterprise, and Windows 10 Education. Windows 10 Home does not offer any deferral options.

Over the course of several feature updates since the initial release of Windows 10 in 2015, Microsoft has tinkered with the interface for deferring feature updates. The steps I describe here assume that you have already installed the Creators Update, version 1709.

The good news is that you no longer have to mess with Group Policy settings to defer updates on a standalone PC. Instead, you can take your choice of three options, all available in the Windows 10 Settings app.

Go to Settings > Update & security > Advanced options to see all three options, which I have labeled in the screenshot on this page.

Option 1 allows you to choose a servicing channel (previously called a branch). The default setting is Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted), which corresponds to what was previously known as the Current Branch.

You can change this setting to Semi-Annual Channel (the new name for what was previously known as Current Branch for Business, as shown here. That defers feature updates until Microsoft declares them "ready for business deployment," a milestone that typically occurs about four months after the initial release."

Much more and screen shots in the article here:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-spring-creators-update-act-fast-to-delay-this-big-upgrade/?bhid=19724681974700635514865380622813&ftag=TRE-03-10aaa6b

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

All Intel chip sets old and current have the Spectre vulnerability in the chips themselves. it won't be until late this year that Intel will begin shipping "fixed" hardware.

I'm just passing along what is happening and how to work around it. Rather than spend on a new computer just upgrade Windows to Pro. But you only get a temporary delay, not permanent. Open Control Panel and click on "System" and it will show which version of Windows you're running.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

2 hours ago, Chalkie said:

Another way to defer the update is with the app I mentioned, O&O ShutUP10.

Just used your idea Chalkie! I'm  not high tech enough to experience the glitches of a new program! 

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

Pieere,

I can defer them but likely won't because I have no issues with bandwidth issues on the road. I will test it out on two of three desktops, my wife's Lenovo all in one, and my Voyo Mini PC, both 10 home systems. I'll also immediately update my Surface Pro 3 and 4, and Venue 11 Pro tablets. I've already deferred it on my Dell XPS 2720 all in one system settings this morning. The original anniversary update caused my 2720 system to have issues starting some apps, but all in all I have usually not held off, nor had any catastrophic issues with updates.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

RV: Microsoft has had to many bugs and glitches in the past I decided to wait for some others to experience it before I decide to Bite The Bullet! I am trying Chalkie's method! It has switches for on and off so I can check on W/Defender updates every couple of weeks! As soon\ as i feel safe to upgrade then I'll do so! 

By the way! I haven't used my Gateway NE522 with the AMD processor until I see a REPAIR/UPDATE/UPGRADE for it!

Pieere,

Great! Let us know how it works for you here as many of us don't try apps and programs we have n't heard from or had a friend use and report on.

Refresh my memory on your AMD. Did it need a processor upgrade patch? I heard AMD is coming out with some next week.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

On 3/24/2018 at 2:49 PM, RV_ said:

Pieere,

Great! Let us know how it works for you here as many of us don't try apps and programs we have n't heard from or had a friend use and report on.

Refresh my memory on your AMD. Did it need a processor upgrade patch? I heard AMD is coming out with some next week.

It was downloadable from CNet and Major Geeks and I didn't get any messages from MalwareBytes or WD! 

The AMD processor came with the Gateway in 2013, A4. According to an article from ED Bott it did need and Upgrade! I haven't used it since! Hopefully Next week for the fix! 

Archived