Suggestions of must see's on a road trip from Houston to New York

aussie's on the road

Hi fellow members I hope you can help with suggestions for us.

We are starting to plan a couple of months road tour starting in Houston TX in August and making our way up to the New York/ Niagara Falls and then back in a loop  finishing in Houston late October 

We are looking for suggestions of places to go and see on the way there and the way back. Places we do have on our list are Washington, , Boston and New England but we are open to any suggestions

We have seen most of the southern areas of the US so we intend to travel faster until we reach the northern states from Virginia up

We love going to nature/scenic sites and also small towns with character and love meeting people and like minded travelers.

When we get closer to New York we thought that maybe we should park up our Rv somewhere outside of New York  and then travel into New York by some method and book accommodation to stay in while we are there. Thoughts as to whether this is a good idea and if so suggestions of best place to park up our rv (how far out of New York)  and how to travel into New York. Or maybe there are good parks someone can suggest in the New York area that we could stay at and catch transport into the city  We are unfortunately limited to Bus or car travel for transport into new York either way as we have an autistic son who travels with us and he will not go on trains which makes using the subway a no go for us

Also suggestions appreciated on Rv parks in both Washington and Boston and Niagara Falls

Looking forward to hearing some great ideas and destinations

Aussie's on the road

There are a million things to see.  Just search the web with your interests.  We spend hours researching areas that we go to and along the way to them.

CG  near DC are far and few.  Cherry Hill CG in College Park is pricey but is in a great location and is very well taken care of.

Happy and safe travels.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Too many things to list.. Smokey Mtns, Blue Ridge Pky, Colonial Williamsburg, Acadia NP. several NY state parks, try to be in New Engiand for the fall, Gettysburg, Harpers Ferry. You aren't budgeting enough time. Washington DC takes several weeks and that is just touching the highlights.

1 minute ago, SWharton said:

You aren't budgeting enough time. 

That was my first thought... where would one even begin!? 2 months!!?? Maybe try to categorize what your individual priorities are and break them down into time frames and specific regions. Ie., each person being allowed to pick 1 or 2 regions of say... a 50 mile radius with 1 or 2 target activity goals and it can be anywhere, in any direction within "x" miles of your planned route.

Focus on just those regions and activities in an even block period of time. Maybe your son wan't to "spend" his region and activity days in the smokey Mtns. Maybe the wife wants to "spend" her allotments in the big apple and you might want to spend yours on the historical region or the Northern coastline.

Everyone ends up getting their own little "micro vacation" and limiting the scope and expectations makes it all the more manageable than filling up a large "bucket list" and running yourselves ragged.

Don't forget to plan for "down days". Laundry, rig maintance, all that fun stuff still has to be taken care of.

Just an idea..... 

You are ALWAYS welcome to come back and hit what you'll miss this go around. ;)

6 hours ago, aussie's on the road said:

When we get closer to New York we thought that maybe we should park up our Rv somewhere outside of New York  and then travel into New York by some method and book accommodation to stay in while we are there. Thoughts as to whether this is a good idea and if so suggestions of best place to park up our rv (how far out of New York)  and how to travel into New York. Or maybe there are good parks someone can suggest in the New York area that we could stay at and catch transport into the city  We are unfortunately limited to Bus or car travel for transport into new York either way as we have an autistic son who travels with us and he will not go on trains which makes using the subway a no go for us

Liberty Harbor RV park is on the New Jersey side of the Hudson overlooking Manhattan.  From the CG you can see the back of the Statue of Liberty and the new Freedom Tower.  Stayed there the summer of 16 with my son, from the CG you can walk across the parking lot about 100 yards and jump a ferry that has you in the city in 10 minutes.  Will your son accept a boat ride?

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

Virginia has Williamsburg- Colonial capital on the east side, and mountains on the west.  Washington DC has museums and such, Annapolis Md older seafaring history with the academy there.  A little lower are the North Carolina Outer Banks- Hatteras lighthouse, Nags Head- Wright Brothers first Flight, Manteo- The Lost Colony.

Or going north and a little to the west is Philly with all the colonial era history.  Liberty Hall, and Bell, etc.  

New Jersey has the famous boardwalks and seaside towns.  From Cape May north to Atlantic City.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

So many choices!  I'l just add my favorite state park - Ricketts Glen in Northeast Pennsylvania.  2 dry campgrounds (bathrooms with showers) a lake, and my favorite - 5-6 miles of cascading streams, including 22 waterfalls on a loop hike within the park.

Some photos from my visits.

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

Archived