Smart car electric vs gas

chief916

Thinking smart cars.  Don't know much about them but would appreciate any info.  I've spent hours on line and still have no clue of what a "pure"is versus any other model.  Would like to hear from those of you who have them and the reasoning of selecting gas or electric.  Pricing and milage is all over the board and I for one am confused.  I reckon that comes with being eligable for Medicare.

2 hours ago, chief916 said:

Thinking smart cars.  Don't know much about them but would appreciate any info.  I've spent hours on line and still have no clue of what a "pure"is versus any other model.  Would like to hear from those of you who have them and the reasoning of selecting gas or electric.  Pricing and milage is all over the board and I for one am confused.  I reckon that comes with being eligable for Medicare.

I have a 2009 I bought new. It now has just over 67,000 miles on it. I used it to commute to work. By model designation it's a 451. The current model is a 453. The various labels (Pure, Passion, Brabus, etc.) are trim levels. The mechanicals underneath in the 451 are very similar. The electrics are short range, maybe 80 miles on a full charge. My gas powered one went about 330 miles between fills when I commuted. Now that I'm retired I don't give it a lot of thought...I just use it to run errands with when I go by myself.

The smart car of America forum has a ton of helpful information. 

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/#/

Doug
Frequent "lurker"
Occasional poster
First step towards the RV setup complete: 1 smart car

6 hours ago, Buscrusher said:

I have a 2009 I bought new. It now has just over 67,000 miles on it. I used it to commute to work. By model designation it's a 451. The current model is a 453. The various labels (Pure, Passion, Brabus, etc.) are trim levels. The mechanicals underneath in the 451 are very similar. The electrics are short range, maybe 80 miles on a full charge. My gas powered one went about 330 miles between fills when I commuted. Now that I'm retired I don't give it a lot of thought...I just use it to run errands with when I go by myself.

The smart car of America forum has a ton of helpful information. 

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/#/

Thank you for this information.

And the 453, new model, has smaller fuel tank. I get 230 miles to a tank. The electric Smart I believe is the death of the car. Not many can deal with 80 mile range car. Houston Mercedes dropped the line when gas model left. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Our 451 averaged about 41 mpg. Got up to 47 mpg at freeway speeds.

Our 453 averages about 38 mpg, and gets up to 45 mpg at steady freeway speeds. That is the best I've gotten on 600 mile trips with it.

The electric is unlikely to get much more than 70 mile range if you are not in optimal conditions. It really is a city car. I have not owned one,but that is what I hear from owners. I'm not sure that would work for me.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I would love an electric. but with a 50 so mile range, NO WAY. Now If we had to go more than a few hundred miles we would take the volvo. But Its not uncommon for us to do long day trips of over 100 miles. And it would barely get me from home to my job. I would have to charge at work to make it home. And that is with 100% battery health and warm outside with no heat or AC usage. It needs double the range for me to even start to think about it.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

We would need a new battery breakthrough for an electric  Smart. It just isn't big enough for current battery technology. Look at size of say a Chevy Volt battery pack and try to find a spot in a Smart for it. And if they made them larger, we could not use them. They would also have a proven market to compete against.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

As already pointed out one of the biggest hurdles with 100% electric car is going to be the range.

Another hurdle could be the charging.  You are most likely going to be limited to only charging using a 15a extension cord.  While that works, it is vey time consuming in most cases.  Most cars are designed to be charged using a charger that requires more power than you will have access to in most camp grounds.  So using the quick charger is typically not going to be feasible.  Another thing is not all camp grounds are going to allow you to charge your car.  Or they may charge you an additional fee if they do.  In their eyes, charging your car means you are using more electricity then they expect for the fees they are charging.

On the upside, I have started to notice charging stations in some of the national parks.  I am assuming that they are for public use but not positive.  Also unaware of any fees for using them.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

As already pointed out one of the biggest hurdles with 100% electric car is going to be the range.

Another hurdle could be the charging.  You are most likely going to be limited to only charging using a 15a extension cord.  While that works, it is vey time consuming in most cases.  Most cars are designed to be charged using a charger that requires more power than you will have access to in most camp grounds.  So using the quick charger is typically not going to be feasible.  Another thing is not all camp grounds are going to allow you to charge your car.  Or they may charge you an additional fee if they do.  In their eyes, charging your car means you are using more electricity then they expect for the fees they are charging.

On the upside, I have started to notice charging stations in some of the national parks.  I am assuming that they are for public use but not positive.  Also unaware of any fees for using them.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

11 hours ago, RickW said:

I think I ve got the message on the upsides and downsides of both gas and electric.  Now it's time to settle down and shoot for a price range and amenities.  Thank you all for your contributions.  Will be sure to post back to you all if and when I find the one we want.  Thank to all.

Archived