All DC dead in Class C

jpcoll01

Just stopped to make some breakfast/lunch and went to start the genny and it spun for a while and then the CarbonMonoxide defector beeped and no lights, no gauge panel, no nothing. My batteries are alive and well as my solar and inverter are still going strong. I checked outside and it appears that there are some big inline “buss” that appear to be like breakers, I pushed those buttons and one sounded like it might have reset but no power. Any ideas?

I’m thinking starter because it only kicked the breaker when trying to start. Sounds like it might be pulling more amps than the circuit is set to provide. Kinda cold outside to guess and YouTube myself through fixing it, might actually have to pay someone to fix it. 

It is pretty common for starters to fail due to shorts in the windings, even those on auto engines and this one is similar. The first thing an auto shop will do when checking one is to check the current draw. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Not sure I follow on starting the gen first and transferring power?  It is an on-board gen that pulls it starting cranking amps from my house batteries. 

Im thinking the original breaker “kick” damaged the breaker as it kicked again while running just lights. Am I wrong to think that these things eventually go bad like GFCI outlets or AC breakers?

13 hours ago, jpcoll01 said:

Am I wrong to think that these things eventually go bad like GFCI outlets or AC breakers?

They do fail. In my years of electrical maintenance work, I have seen many a circuit breaker get weak and need to be replaced. Circuit breakers are designed to slowly trip at lower and lower levels as a safety factor in design. It is done to ensure that the reverse never happens. If those breakers have tripped many times then probably they should be replaced, even if not suspect. The only way to be sure is to use a recording amp meter so that you know what the current draw was when the circuit opened. 

13 hours ago, jpcoll01 said:

Not sure I follow on starting the gen first and transferring power?

I don't get this one either. I suspect he is thinking of the 120V-ac side of things and it is never a good idea to start your generator while shore power is in use because the generator is typically the "preferred" source for the ATS and if you have some heavy loads on shore power when it auto transfers, that will cause damage to many things if done very often. Your issue is on the 12V-dc side of things and in getting the generator engine started. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I presumed, perhaps incorrectly, that you were running the RV on gen only and not hooked to shore power.  I was also thinking that you could lower any start surge related issue by having the gen disconnected, get it running, then connect to see if that made any difference. I suspect you are correct in thinking the breaker that got tripped is now damaged/weak.  But, unless that event was an anomaly, if the culprit is the generator, it will likely repeat.  As Kirk mentioned, having a shop check start-up current profile would be a next step.

9 hours ago, freestoneangler said:

I presumed, perhaps incorrectly, that you were running the RV on gen only and not hooked to shore power.  I was also thinking that you could lower any start surge related issue by having the gen disconnected, get it running, then connect to see if that made any difference. I suspect you are correct in thinking the breaker that got tripped is now damaged/weak.  But, unless that event was an anomaly, if the culprit is the generator, it will likely repeat.  As Kirk mentioned, having a shop check start-up current profile would be a next step.

Got it! I understand what you were saying now. Thanks!

I think the previous folks were missing one fact or you used DC wrong. When the breaker trips is it only your DC power that goes out, as in the AC outlets work but the DC ones do not?

Because if that is the case you may have a convertor or inverter failing that has nothing to do with the generator. Just a thought. If the inverter or convertor is bad that would account for the 12 volt DC starter having issues along with the other DC circuits being out.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

After rereading the original post, it sounds like trying to start the generator is tripping the 12vdc breaker on the starter circuit.

Does the starter even begin to turn the generator before the breaker trips, or does it trip as soon as you hit "start"? Diesel, gas, or propane generator?

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

20 hours ago, kb0zke said:

After rereading the original post, it sounds like trying to start the generator is tripping the 12vdc breaker on the starter circuit.

Does the starter even begin to turn the generator before the breaker trips, or does it trip as soon as you hit "start"? Diesel, gas, or propane generator?

The the first time it turned over a few times then kicked the breaker. After that first trip the breaker would immediately trip upon hitting the “start” button. I got a replacement delivered today (we just got back home and it was waiting from Amazon) my hope is I replace the breaker and the gen starts up like normal. 

That did it. Replaced the breaker and everything works as expected. Genny is purring like a kitt...err...well, it’s running.  Once I got into the system i was impressed with how it was set up. There is a breaker between the alternator and batteries, one between the converter and batteries and one between the batteries and coach, who knows, might keep me from burning up sometime. 

Appreciate the input. Often find it helpful just to write something out, generally makes me think of something i may have missed. 

• 6 months later...

This happened again last night. Only this time resetting the breaker wouldn’t do anything. I had no DC to the lights/electric step/monitor panel, etc but had 13.1v from the battery to my inverter so battery had plenty of juice. Went out today and something had reset and had full power. Is there some kind of a time-reset cut off or something on RV’s?  I’m really confused at this point. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. 

I am tracking down the power loss with a multimeter. I can pull 13.6v directly from the battery and again from the end of a wire directly from hot terminal attaching to an 80 amp circuit breaker (brand new) when I try to start the gen it kicks something and power to the coach goes out and I read 3.2 v at the hot (in) side of that breaker. It isn’t kicked ans I get 3.2 out the back of it. I can unhook it and re hook it up and get 13.6 again on both sides of the breaker. Any ideas on that?

Almost like something downstream of the breaker is kicking and only allowing 3.2 v through the circuit. Ideas on what that might be?  Also, whatever it is clears on it’s own if the ground wire is removed from batteries ans re-attached. 

It was only happening when I tried to start gen but now it is happening even with the electric step and the auto reset is taking longer and longer. I am having a terrible time finding where it would even be. Looks like I’m going to have to pay someone who is smarter than I am (which wouldn’t be a big deal but I am supposed to leave KY for a month on Friday) 

Archived