Winter Home

Ray Fennelly

Hi everybody, I will be selling my home in the spring. And I have my concerns about where I should go next winter . I am out of Pa.and I hear the east coast is way more expensive and crowded then the west coast. I  will be new to all of this and I will be solo. I was thinking about heading west and when would it be a good time for reservation. If I could hear a few suggestions that would be great. I like to do hiking, fishing, kayaking, and  I will also have 2 older labs coming with me so the place would have to be pet friendly. I have looked at places but would like to hear recommendations. Any help would be appreciated.       Thank You      Ray

Why not spend your first winter exploring?  Head south to FL and follow the gulf coast over to TX and the RGV then north into AZ then southern CA.  You have to find out what you enjoy rather than what someone else enjoys.  Your then positioned to go up the OR and WA coast that summer.      Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

We are winter Texans, have spent six months the last nine years in south Texas.  Many nice places along the Gulf from The Rio Grande Valley all the way to Galveston.  We are in Port Aransas, plenty of fishing all year long, been catching speckled trout, red and black drum and sheepshead right now, Best Wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

Welcome to full-timing!  There are just soo many places to visit and explore.  The great West holds more opportunities than one could explore in a lifetime.   The Escapee  Parks is a good way to start.  My wife and I are members of the Jojoba Hills SKP Park in Aguanga, CA near Temecula and just north of San Diego.  Although we are long-time members here, we still travel about six months of the year,  while exploring, or visiting kids the rest of the time.  If possible, come visit us here at Jojoba Hills . . . we'd love to give you the tour.  As always,  oRV 

oRV

75065 Lifetime Member

2010 Phaeton 40 QTH

2014 Honda CR-V Toad

I kind of think similar to Big Greg, as exploring makes sense particularly since pretty much everywhere will be a new experience. 

As to the cost of RV sites, all along both the east and west coasts, the rates tend to be higher and for us, the highest rates were in Florida and California. Even so, unless it just isn't in the budget you really should see all of the coastal areas. The Gulf Coast hasn't gotten nearly so inflated prices and as you travel you will find the highest rates in locations of major attractions. Middle America tends to have the lest expensive RV sites and some small towns even have free RV sites. 

Monthly rates are much less costly than daily in nearly all parks but there are a few that do not have a monthly rate but those typically do have a weekly rate with is also a good savings. Another way to save is to join Passport America or Happy Campers. In both cases, membership gives you half price camping usually for a limited number of nights and in many cases, it is also given off season only.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

19 hours ago, Big Greg said:

Why not spend your first winter exploring?  Head south to FL and follow the gulf coast over to TX and the RGV then north into AZ then southern CA.  You have to find out what you enjoy rather than what someone else enjoys.  Your then positioned to go up the OR and WA coast that summer.      Greg

We did that except we went the other direction. We quickly discovered we didn't like the winds and crowds in the Rio Grande Valley nor did we like the critters in Florida. We don't fish so Arizona suited us just fine. Checking it all out that first winter is excellent advice for finding what works for YOU. 

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Take a look at the Escapee group and consider visiting their co-op parks. (The one in Florida has a monthly rate but might be difficult to get into Jan-Mar.)

We have a Thousand Trails membership and I would highly recommend this as part of your program. There are tons of campgrounds, busy areas like Thousand Trails Orlando are convenient to everything and plenty of quiet days in the park to relax. No commuting!   Grocery stores, post office, restaurants all walkable or bike from campground. Head south and work your way along the coast westward.

Archived