Travel Question

Dejae

We are currently in Biloxi, MS on Rt 90, we came here from Lafayette, LA area via routes 10-12-10

We need to go to McKinney Texas when we leave here (of course not in one straight drive)

We were thinking of going back through New Orleans route 90, up to Lafayette I-10 and take I-10 to I-45 up to Dallas

I have 2 questions......has anyone done route 90 that way?  Any feedback on it?

and second question is....I could use some CG ideas along the journey. 90 and West of Lafayette is virgin territory for us.

Blessed Travels,
Judi, John, Peanut and DeJae' (Our baby girl DeJae passed 7/21/2019)

51 minutes ago, Dejae said:

We were thinking of going back through New Orleans route 90, up to Lafayette I-10 and take I-10 to I-45 up to Dallas

While I believe that all of those roads are now open, I would not take a route through Houston at this time as they are far from recovered from Hurricane Harvey. We are involved in two groups that are collecting supplies for the recovery and one of the communities we are working with is Orange, which is about 30 miles east of Beaumont, TX and you will be traveling through areas devastated by the flooding most of the way from there to Spring. I believe that you would be much wiser to take I49 at Lafayette north to I20 and then west to McKinney. I travel I20 frequently and that is all good road. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

This map provides up to the minute information on TX highway conditions.  Notice that most major roads in the Houston area are now open.

drivetexas.org

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

1 minute ago, docj said:

Notice that most major roads are now open.

There is a big difference between roads open and communities being ready for visitors. As of two days ago, fuel in Orange was very limited with most businesses still closed for lack of utilities. At least some parts of Houston are still that same way. Since the route asked about is nearly 100 miles farther than the one on I20, I would suspect that the intention was to stop somewhere along the way and there are not many places ready to welcome visitors. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I would echo Kirk's thoughts on absolutely not going anywhere near Houston and areas east toward Beaumont. While the main roads are open many smaller roads are not, so the main roads are very congested with not only the normal traffic but all the relief agencies and utility trucks that are working the area. The availability of places to stop and stay in that area is also severely limited...lot nicer drive and plenty of campgrounds on the route Kirk suggested.

Archived