rbertalotto

DISH Amnywhere...New Service from DISH

Just announced at CEDIA in San Diego...Dish Anywhere

Here is the press release

Never again will your client be limited to local news in a distant market or a hotel movie library. With DISH Anywhere® customers get live sports, breaking news and their entire DVR collection plus On Demand titles. And Dish Anywhere® is now available on the Amazon Fire TV Stick – your clients simply insert a small device into their in-room display, connect to hotel Internet and launch the DISH Anywhere app. Within seconds they are transported back to their sofa at home, with access to the TV content they really want, complete with a guide they know and all the local live channels they view at home. This solution is a game changer for vacationing families, college students, business travelers or for the ‘required’ Sunday afternoon visits to the in-laws. For more information, click here; or to meet with DISH at CEDIA, click here.

Dish Anywhere has been available for quite awhile, the Firestick App is the new thing.

Just to be sure, Dish Anywhere requires a Sling enable Hopper at your home base to send your content from your Hopper to your Dish Anywhere device.

This means you are using internet bandwidth at your home base and internet bandwidth at you receiving device. 

23 minutes ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

Dish Anywhere has been available for quite awhile, the Firestick App is the new thing.

Just to be sure, Dish Anywhere requires a Sling enable Hopper at your home base to send your content from your Hopper to your Dish Anywhere device.

This means you are using internet bandwidth at your home base and internet bandwidth at you receiving device. 

X2 ^^. Not of much use to those of us who full-time, either, since we don't have a home base and have limited data on our mobile plans. We just use a satellite antenna and, when we want locals, contact Dish to change our service address. No muss, no fuss.

Rob

We have a FireTVstick with the DishAnywhere app installed that we use in part to replace a Joey sub-receiver for our bedroom TV, saving the $7/mo fee. When the DA app is connected to our coach Hopper, I think it only uses cell data to login, but with our two unlimited data plans, I haven't really checked on that. I was happily surprised to see how well it works with minimal buffering, even when I tested it with our Verizon 3G only plan. On our AT&T 4G/LTE plan, we almost never see any buffering. When we connect it to the Hopper we leave at our Adirondack cottage, it does eat a lot of data while streaming of course.

6 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

We have a FireTVstick with the DishAnywhere app installed that we use in part to replace a Joey sub-receiver for our bedroom TV, saving the $7/mo fee. When the DA app is connected to our coach Hopper, I think it only uses cell data to login, but with our two unlimited data plans, I haven't really checked on that.

When your Hopper and your DISH Anywhere device (iPad, TV, etc) are both on the same WiFi network, then no (or very little) broadband data is used.

However, if they're on different networks, then fasten your seat belts.

Edited by Zulu

Thanks for clearing that up, Tom. As I said, with two unlimited data plans, I hadn't really looked into it, but my impression was that only the login needed plan data on the same network. Otherwise, yep, it gets very data hungry! ;)

21 hours ago, dewilso said:

Won't work if you have only a basic receiver.

Yep... A receiver with an embedded Sling player like the Hopper 2 or 3 is needed.