Beginner couple for rental

Baltimore 1164

There are a number of RV rental places with Cruise America being perhaps the largest. I suggest you talk to them. They have a variety of sizes and can help you determine what is in your budget. Get out among other folks that are RVing. The RV community is is generally friendly, helpful and welcoming whether you are in a small pop-up or a large Class A.

Oh, and welcome to the forums!

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

11 minutes ago, Baltimore 1164 said:

Thanks I looked at Cruise America briefly. How to decide the size and driving it?

Again, I would talk to them. However, from what I have seen on the road they are mostly (all?) Class C units. Basically that is an RV built on a pickup truck or van chassis. Driving them is also just the same as driving a van or pickup except that you are wider and longer. Even the smallest of units will have the basics. I just took a look at Cruise America's website and it seems that their "standard" which is available everywhere sleeps 5. For a couple this will provide more than ample room. In most states driving these should take no special driver's license. 

I have focused on Cruise America as it is probably the most readily available. However, check what else might be available in your area. For example, there is an RV dealer in my state that I know of that will set up the RV you are considering buying in an RV park close to them and let you stay in it for 2 nights to help your decision. If you happen to be retired military most bases have RV rentals of some sort. 

Folks here can give you a ton of advice, but when it comes right down to it you will need to take the plunge on your own after you have done enough homework to feel somewhat comfortable. I say somewhat because I think that if one waits until they are 100% they will never do it. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

We went to an RV dealer near home and looked at units. They rented us a brand new Class C for a 3-week trip. We decided we weren't yet ready to buy and they seemed fine with that. Cruise America's units are built specifically for the rental market so they are not as nice as others. It helps to be aware of that when, and if, it does come time to buy.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Welcome to the Escapee forums! We are here to help and will do our best to support you.

7 hours ago, Baltimore 1164 said:

Thanks. I will contact CA today.

I strongly suggest that you do some shopping around before you commit to one company. They are not all the same and even Cruise America is a franchise company and so their dealers are not all the same or do they all have the same level of services. If you will share with us where you are located, there is a pretty good chance that someone here may even know of a dealer nearby. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Before we started buying motorhomes we rented a number of times.  Twice we used Cruise America.  Once El Monte RV.  And three times a local rental company we found by using the internet.  As far as which RV and company you use I would suggest going and visiting a rental company or two and seeing what they have.  Tell them you are undecided on what to rent and they will likely offer you a test drive or two.  Then rent the one you both want to drive.  

Of the RVs we rented the one that comes to mind as the best was a 24' class C.  It was very easy to drive for both my wife and I.  We basically just drove it carefully and then it became easy in a very short time.  The rental companies we have used all have had instruction on how to use the systems.  

Bob & Barbara
2002 Affinity 42' tag
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2012 Airdale Terrier

Archived