Rooftop VS. Tripod-mounted Satellite Antenna

kudzu

Since a previous thread I started, "Winegard ROADTRIP T4 VS. TRAV'LER," after which I concluded the TRAV'LER suits my needs better, I have come to think the Winegard Pathway X2, mounted on a tripod, would be a more versatile solution than the roof-mounted TRAV'LER. If DW is okay with Dish Network, it seems the benefit of being able locate the antenna somewhat independently of the RV outweighs the small inconvenience of having to setup the portable antenna. Am I overlooking something obvious?

Me, a stranger? Nah, just a friend you haven't met.

We started over 11 years ago with a Winegard AS-2003 automatic roof dish.  The AS-2003 is equivalent to a current dome dish, a single LNBF.  We quickly came to the problem that often Dale and I wanted to watch different channels.  The Dish receiver could do that but not the single LNBF dish.  So less than one month out we erected a ground tripod dish so we could use all the available satellites at one time.  We did that for 7 years.  During that time, I also erected a Hughesnet Satellite Internet dish at every stop.

Then we replaced the AS-2003 with a Trav'ler roof and life was good.  Changed over to Verizon to replace Hughesnet.

We still carry a ground tripod for the times when we have trees in the way of the roof dish.  This was about 4 times out of 40 stops a year.

Then it became a requirement to use the Eastern Arc satellites when we in the Eastern US.  This is to get HD Locals and use PTAT with our Hopper 3.  The Trav'ler is setup for the Western Arc. So in our tour of the East and the Maritimes in Canada, we basically put up the ground tripod for every move.  This is a few minute proposition to setup and align the dish.  Good tripod (TV4RV.com) and tools make a big difference.  So far we had to use the tripod 30 out of 34 stops this year.

The net is the reason we stopped using the AS-2003 the first month 11 years ago still is a deficiency in any dome dish and we would never consider one. 

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Trav'ler is on the roof.
Winegard ROADTRIP T4 needs a storage space between use.
If you Full time all storage space is valuable to use for other things.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

8 hours ago, Biker56 said:

Trav'ler is on the roof.
Winegard ROADTRIP T4 needs a storage space between use.
If you Full time all storage space is valuable to use for other things.

I think you mean the Pathway needs to be stored while on the road. The Roadtrip is a roof mounted dome.

The Pathway X2 is a good choice for aiming flexibility, but you do need to be aware of the receiver limitations. You will be able to use the Dish VIP series single tuner receivers such as the 211k, 211z, and Wally, or a couple of older dual tuner receivers as long as the programs you want to watch at the same time are on the same satellite. You will not be able to use the Dish multi-tuner DVR receivers like the 3 tuner Hopper w/Sling or the 16 tuner Hopper 3. The Trav'ler will work with both Hoppers, but is limited to the western arc satellites only in automatic mode. You can manually aim it at one of the eastern arc sats though, 61.5 as I recall. A portable tripod mounted manually aimed dish can be used with all of the current Dish receivers, as well as being used with both arcs by changing the LNB as needed. But it does need to be assembled and aimed every time you relocate, something that with practice can usually be done in 10-15 minutes.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

11 hours ago, kudzu said:

Since a previous thread I started, "Winegard ROADTRIP T4 VS. TRAV'LER," after which I concluded the TRAV'LER suits my needs better, I have come to think the Winegard Pathway X2, mounted on a tripod, would be a more versatile solution than the roof-mounted TRAV'LER.

If you're part timing, sure.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Archived