Diesel performance enhancement

HamRad

I tow with a 2002 Ford 450, 7.3, PSD. I would really like to get a bit more speed going up some of the mountain grades. I'm thinking of several enhancements. I don't have any particular order in mind. That is part of my question. Getting an upgraded air intake/filter. Currently have just the standard OM filter. Install a larger exhaust system. Again I have what came from the factory. And finally install some electronic performance system such as an Edge component.

So are any of these things the type of things I should be considering? If so what order would be best? And finally what else should I be considering? Keep in mind that come 2020 I will have to replace my engine (to comply with CARB) or make additional major changes to engine to be in compliance with the CARB standards.

We are not full timers. We're on the road only about 6 months out of the year. I appreciate any input. Dennis

Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

I really lean to an integrated system like the Banks products, not just for the engine but also the transmission. A chip, possibly a new turbo housing, a down-pipe (if your year needs one) and exhaust all will help. Adding a good exhaust brake and if you have an auto transmission an improved controller there will help.

I tried a K&N filter and was not happy with it, too much dust got past it and into the engine. Swapped back to the stock filter and saw no noticeable power change but the dust was gone. There was a topic around here on air filters you can look for, if the forum search fails try a Google search with the "site:" option.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

If you haven't already, the first step I would do would be to ensure all of your rigs flash updates are current. I had my rig flashed a few months ago and it has made a noticeable difference across the board. Among others.. the PCM, TCM and FICM we're all updated which has added a bit of torque. It's a pretty cheap way to increase performance before going after market if you haven't already done so. $95 for the PCM and $20 a pop for the additional 5 module updates.

That being said.. I'm not a real fan of massive after market enhancements unless you're going to go whole-hog (engine + powertrain).. especially with the added strain of regular towing. Just MHO.

Retroactive CARB compliance? Are you sure?

Kinda sorta. It has the same effect but was actually another law that was passed banning diesel engines manufactured prior to 2010 without being fitted with "CARB compliant" modifications and filters. You're talking $5k-$15k for the mods so in many cases it makes more sense to just switch out engines.

Who knows if it will actually happen though. There is a lot of resistance and arguments that CARB is overstretching their authority and in violation of the US Constitution (Clause 1, Article I, Section 10) that prohibits State governments from passing ex post facto laws. All kinds of commotion goin on.

There is no question that CA has some extremely severe air quality issues (more than half of the top 10 worst cities in the U.S.). Drastic measures need to be taken, but I don't think hitting the average Joe's pocketbook is too wise or will make much of a significant difference. It will be interesting to see how it plays.

I do my small part to improve air quality there though. I stay out of CA. :P Their government be crazy!

I'm not a real fan of massive after market enhancements unless you're going to go whole-hog (engine + powertrain).. especially with the added strain of regular towing. Just MHO.

You can squeeze more out of it, but it will cost, somewhere, in wear and tear.

Dennis,

I agree with the above statements and frankly, with a 14 year old truck, there's nothing wrong with going up hills slowly.

I'm happy with my truck's performance 96% of the time. The other 4%...I live with it.

96% is a pretty good rating—about the same number my wife would assign to my behavior. The other 4%...well, she lives with it :rolleyes:

Mark

Mark & Sue---SKP#86611
'06 International 4400LoPro DT570 310hp 950ft-lbs.-Allison--3.70 gears
'05 36' Teton Liberty
'12 BMW F650 twin

Before I added any HP enhancements, I would add EGT (Pre -Turbo), Boost psi, Fuel lift psi, & Trans fluid temp gauges as a minimum. Then bump up the exhaust diameter with a good flowing muffler. Then a better turbo, before any power chip/box.

Also I'd look into a transmission TC upgrade before I got the chip as well. I'm a Cummins guy so not sure if Ford provides any of those gauge parameters or if they are real vs computer generated like Dodges Oil Pressure. Just make sure you are covered and aware.

I put 2 3" holes in the bottom (unfiltered inlet side) of my OEM filter box to ensure minimal inlet air restriction.

ylXUWGQ.gif

ajaR0Ky.gif

YuzFntZ.gif

Sure you could race up those hills, the 7.3 has a massive amount of power, more power than your original drivetrain can handle. If you open up intake and exhaust and change the parameters that increase HP and torque you will probably smoke your tranny.

Slow down and enjoy your ride. You said you are on the road 6 months, you don't need to be in a hurry.

2006 Elite Suite 36TK3
2001 F-550 Starhauler
www.mytripjournal.com/elitesuitestravels
IN GOD WE TRUST

I have a 1999 7.3 Ford that has a number of modifications. New exhaust, turbo and wastegate, air filter and a chip. I added a complement of guages. It really runs strong. At 70,000 it blew the clutch apart towing. The 7.3 is fairly easy to kick up the power but the drive train can quickly fail. A new exhaust and a new air intake is a good place to start but I doubt that you will notice much difference other than a lighter wallet. These mods are expensive. After the air and exhaust you could add a chip and turbo and the power will jump but the drive train may soon fail. More money. I don't tow much with the 7.3 so it hasn't failed recently but it is kind of fun to drive. If you have an automatic transmission a modified 7.3 can quickly kill it. For the money involved it may be cheaper to buy a different truck.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Go with a good free flowing air filter, I use the lifetime aFe dry filter in the stock box. A 4" turbo back Magna Flow exhaust can be had for less than 300 bucks from Summit Racing. 203 deg thermostat from Diesel Site (not from a International dealer. Ford changed the housing and it wont fit). ATS Turbo inlet housing. Make sure all the inter cooler boots are oil free (if they are oily, they are leaking). Like others have said get a set of gauges, boost, egt (install pre turbo), and trans temp as a minimum. I have also installed an external transmission filter (the 4R100 transmission is the weak link in the truck), it also acts as an additional mini cooler. Be leery of store bought pre - programmed power adders that just plug in to the computer, or the scan port. Most are a one size fits all with a 40 hp "tow" mode which most agree is too much for the 4R100 when towing over 7500 lbs. Also these programmers change the shift strategy of the transmission causing even more heat. I have a 2001 F-350 Dually with 271,000 miles on it, pulling our toy hauler with 2 Harleys in it. I don't believe it's ever gonna top "Fancy Gap" running over 40 mph, but she's still running strong when she gets there. I think the rest of the truck will fall down around that 7.3. LOL

Safe travels :)

Sniper & Sweet P

Escapees 124743 H.O.C. 1371

Sell the truck for close to $20,000 in Texas and buy a newer truck that you won't have to be looking at a new engine. At this point you will just be throwing away your money.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

I have had two 7.3 Fords. Great motors that you can greatly enhance with some mods. Larger air intake and larger exhaust will make a big difference. I used Banks exhaust turbo back on both of my trucks and Air Rad intakes. I also ran a Banks tuner on both and was very satisfied with the results. On the F550 I did notice Torque Converter slippage if I had the tuner set to high, so I installed a stronger Torque converter and that took care of the issue. Gauges are a must as you will be increasing Boost pressure using the tuner and also a Exhaust Temp gauge and Transmission Temp gauge. Not cheap doing the mods, but will make a big difference in towing performance and some fuel economy also. As with anything if you don't abuse the truck the transmission should do just fine.

I currently have a Chevy diesel and the prior owner had all of the performance enhancements done when I bought it. It has an Edge Tuner and it works well also.

Good luck!

Gary & Penny

2015 Lance 1172

2005 Chevy 3500

2013 Bass Tracker 190 Pro Team

Modify that puppy and find a place to garage it in AZ and then go buy a CARB piece of junk to finish out the next few years !

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

Sell the truck for close to $20,000 in Texas and buy a newer truck that you won't have to be looking at a new engine. At this point you will just be throwing away your money.

What he said! X2

20 years ago the usual cost to aftermarket uprate a diesel engine correctly was just over $10 per HP gain. I don't know what that figure is today.

As to buying an aftermarket air filter, read this study that was performed on a Duramax diesel engine: http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/3-power-performance-tuning/84-fuel-system-air-exhaust-emissions-upgrades/117009-aftermarket-air-intakes-filters-do-they-work.html

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Being retired, I don't find it necessary to be the first to get anywhere. Best thing to get a vehicle to last is to leave it alone performance wise. Just do good maintenance and take care of your tires.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

You can squeeze more out of it, but it will cost, somewhere, in wear and tear.

Retroactive CARB compliance? Are you sure?

Get a bigger truck.

Thanks for reply. Retroactive CARB? Yep. I'm sure. Unless, of course, they change the regs between now and then.

Would love a bigger truck. I lust after a Big Rig but my DW will not have it! :( Dennis

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

I really lean to an integrated system like the Banks products, not just for the engine but also the transmission. A chip, possibly a new turbo housing, a down-pipe (if your year needs one) and exhaust all will help. Adding a good exhaust brake and if you have an auto transmission an improved controller there will help.

I tried a K&N filter and was not happy with it, too much dust got past it and into the engine. Swapped back to the stock filter and saw no noticeable power change but the dust was gone. There was a topic around here on air filters you can look for, if the forum search fails try a Google search with the "site:" option.

Thanks Stan,

Appreciate the "package" concept. I really had not even considered the "side effects" one might get with various enhancements. Dennis

I'm not a real fan of massive after market enhancements unless you're going to go whole-hog (engine + powertrain).. especially with the added strain of regular towing. Just MHO.

Dennis,

I agree with the above statements and frankly, with a 14 year old truck, there's nothing wrong with going up hills slowly.

I'm happy with my truck's performance 96% of the time. The other 4%...I live with it.

96% is a pretty good rating—about the same number my wife would assign to my behavior. The other 4%...well, she lives with it :rolleyes:

Mark

Mark,

I appreciate your input. I had not really given any thought to possible stresses on the various components. Like you I am happy with truck most of the time. And the uphill thing is most likely a "jealous" thing. Many of my friends towing similar rigs tell me they go up the hills at 60+ MPH. So of course I want to do the same thing. Thanks for helping put that in perspective for me. :D Dennis

Before I added any HP enhancements, I would add EGT (Pre -Turbo), Boost psi, Fuel lift psi, & Trans fluid temp gauges as a minimum. Then bump up the exhaust diameter with a good flowing muffler. Then a better turbo, before any power chip/box.

Also I'd look into a transmission TC upgrade before I got the chip as well. I'm a Cummins guy so not sure if Ford provides any of those gauge parameters or if they are real vs computer generated like Dodges Oil Pressure. Just make sure you are covered and aware.

I put 2 3" holes in the bottom (unfiltered inlet side) of my OEM filter box to ensure minimal inlet air restriction.

SCClockDr,

Thanks for your input. I have wanted to put some gauges on since I got the truck...... Just never got around to it! So definitely will consider the gauges ----- Even if nothing else. Dennis

Go with a good free flowing air filter, I use the lifetime aFe dry filter in the stock box. A 4" turbo back Magna Flow exhaust can be had for less than 300 bucks from Summit Racing. 203 deg thermostat from Diesel Site (not from a International dealer. Ford changed the housing and it wont fit). ATS Turbo inlet housing. Make sure all the inter cooler boots are oil free (if they are oily, they are leaking). Like others have said get a set of gauges, boost, egt (install pre turbo), and trans temp as a minimum. I have also installed an external transmission filter (the 4R100 transmission is the weak link in the truck), it also acts as an additional mini cooler. Be leery of store bought pre - programmed power adders that just plug in to the computer, or the scan port. Most are a one size fits all with a 40 hp "tow" mode which most agree is too much for the 4R100 when towing over 7500 lbs. Also these programmers change the shift strategy of the transmission causing even more heat. I have a 2001 F-350 Dually with 271,000 miles on it, pulling our toy hauler with 2 Harleys in it. I don't believe it's ever gonna top "Fancy Gap" running over 40 mph, but she's still running strong when she gets there. I think the rest of the truck will fall down around that 7.3. LOL

Safe travels :)

Sniper,

Love the 7.3! Had a 250 prior to 450. The 250 was just too "soft" from the size rig I was pulling. Have been amazingly happy with the 7.3 engine and the 4:88 rear end. What a world of difference from the previous truck. My rig goes up the Grapevine and over Mt. Shasta grades at around 35 to 40 MPH. I know I should be happy with those numbers! I will work on that. :P I will probably get some gauges installed if nothing else. By the way with the 250 I was on my third transmission when I traded trucks. So far not a hint of a problem with current setup even though exactly same engine and tranny. Thanks again for input and Happy Travels to you too. Dennis

Thanks to all who made suggestions. I really appreciate your input. Opened my eyes to directions I had not even thought about. Still not sure what I'll end up doing but your info has given a much more knowledgeable approach to the situation. Thanks.... Love the SKP Forum! Dennis

Sniper,

Love the 7.3! Had a 250 prior to 450. The 250 was just too "soft" from the size rig I was pulling. Have been amazingly happy with the 7.3 engine and the 4:88 rear end. What a world of difference from the previous truck. My rig goes up the Grapevine and over Mt. Shasta grades at around 35 to 40 MPH. I know I should be happy with those numbers! I will work on that. :P I will probably get some gauges installed if nothing else. By the way with the 250 I was on my third transmission when I traded trucks. So far not a hint of a problem with current setup even though exactly same engine and tranny. Thanks again for input and Happy Travels to you too. Dennis

I feel ya. I'll be chugin' along up a long grade at 35 mph with the turbo singing, and a much newer generation F-Series, or Ram will blow on by pulling a 40 footer at what seems like 80 mph, and I'm like MAN! Then i think "wonder if that thing will still be running in 15 years with over 270,000 miles on it?" I love my ol' truck. Regardless though, do put those gauges on there. Good luck, and again safe travels to you. Maybe we will run together up one those long grades one of these days, and we won't feel so out gunned. B)

Sniper & Sweet P

Escapees 124743 H.O.C. 1371

Like so many things today you are often better off with a package kit from one place than putting something together yourself. Having each bit matched to the rest can result in a lot better results than unmatched components and often a lower price. It also gives you a single point of contact for any issues or problems.

Banks was really good to work with when I got my upgrades, I bought a basic kit with the down-pipe, muffler back exhaust and chip and found it was less power than I'd hoped for and I saw high EGT under heavy throttle particularly at lower RPMs. After talking with them and telling them my weights (200 pounds under maximum for the truck) they recommended I also add a new turbo housing and transmission controller. That would also require a new chip which they sent along free as long as I returned the original chip. The new turbo housing moved a lot more air and took care of the EGT issues as well as giving me more power at lower RPMs.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Some as Stan have had a good experience with Banks. I did not. When I bought my new F250 I ordered a kit. Per the directions included I cut the old exhaust off. However the new exhaust didn't fit. Calls to Banks always ended with I was doing something wrong until finally a Banks engineer told me that there was in fact a problem and they were working on it. The exhaust in the kit was wrong and a new one was being designed. He said it will not be ready for 60 t0 90 days. After a number of calls they finally agreed to send me a prototype in 3 to 4 weeks. I finally received the prototype in about 5 weeks. When the kit was completed the truck kept setting codes. Banks said a new chip was needed as the original had problems but the new chip was still undergoing engineering and testing. Banks said they would call when it was ready. They called and I sent the old chip back but they returned it a week later, with a note explaining the new chip was failing. Months later I finally received the new chip but the performance was not near the old one. Banks response was "sorry". I finally bought another brand of chip and the performance was good again. Banks kits are expensive and I thought I was buying the best but they sure didn't meet my expectations.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Archived