Hole in Gas Tank

Snufy1

How big and what shape and where is the hole ?

I've soldered gas tanks with holes big enough you could drop a quarter through .

Don't bother trying JB Weld , as it has never lasted more than a couple of days for any fuel related repairs I've tried .

I've repaired tanks with metal screws and rubber washers , but I consider that to be more temporary .

Goes around , comes around .

It is on the bottom about 4" from the edge and almost half way across I am not sure how large. We think that someone poked a hole in it to steal the gas but I haven't been under the unit far enough yet to see how large it is

Tom & Michele

1983 Revcon King33

1989 Goldwing

Smaller holes in a metal tank may be plugged with a sheet metal screw and epoxy gas tank sealer on the threads. Larger round holes may be plugged with a gizmo(can't remember the name, it's a plumbing part) that looks like a thermos-bottle stopper - only with a nut and bolt to spread it tight in the hole; completely coated with gas tank epoxy to resist the effect of contact with gas.

Plastic tanks may be patched with material to match the tank by hot air welding.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Seal All works. Available at any hardware store. I have applied seal all to a dripping gas leak with my finger and it held. Once the leak stops add some more seal all over top.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Thanks to all of you I am going to work on it this weekend if all goes well all I will have to do is wait for my refrigerator to be fixed and I'll be able to take some short trips and find out what might not work.

It has been sitting for around 8 years I'm sure I will be in for a few surprises minor I hope

Tom & Michele

1983 Revcon King33

1989 Goldwing

Snfuy1,

You may be able to fix the hole but that may not fix all your problems. There could very well be a lot of rust in the tank. I ran into that problem when trying to get an old motorcycle running. So you may want to check carefully to make sure the tank is otherwise usable. Good luck.

Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

Appears to be a big hole that needs a little support. A fellow repaired my Jeep with about 8 inch tear by putting Dry Ice in the tank to replace the Oxygen. Then brazed the hole shut and then blazed a small patch for a little structure support.

If the tank is dirty and rusty, clean it first by tumbling it a while with bolts, washers, and nut inside. Works good on old farm equipment

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Appears to be a big hole that needs a little support. A fellow repaired my Jeep with about 8 inch tear by putting Dry Ice in the tank to replace the Oxygen. Then brazed the hole shut and then blazed a small patch for a little structure support.

If the tank is dirty and rusty, clean it first by tumbling it a while with bolts, washers, and nut inside. Works good on old farm equipment

Clay

Good idea for taking care of the rust and dirt..... Dennis

Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

Clay

That may work on smaller tanks , but a 63 gallon tank might present a bit of a problem .

Goes around , comes around .

I got under and the found that the hole. Someone had drilled a 1/4" hole in the tank. I bought a Metal Tank epoxy repair kit if came with a fiberglass patch. I sanded around the hole put some in the hole then put the patch on and added more epoxy to cover the patch. It said to let cure for 24 hrs I am going to wait until tomorrow and put a few gallons of gas in and check for leaks. Then I'll put some more gas maybe 10 Gallons drive around and check again. It is a aluminum tank so I don't need to worry about rust and it was empty so I know the gas will be good. Fingers crossed.

Tom & Michele

1983 Revcon King33

1989 Goldwing

I did roughed it up and used the cleaner I plan on giving it 2 or 3 day's to cure

When I was under there I found a crack in the black water tank I'll need to fix. It must have happened when the sewer lines were damaged. They have the same kind of kit for plastic tanks it is only about an inch long on the side by the drain

Tom & Michele

1983 Revcon King33

1989 Goldwing

Thanks to all of you I am going to work on it this weekend if all goes well all I will have to do is wait for my refrigerator to be fixed and I'll be able to take some short trips and find out what might not work.

It has been sitting for around 8 years I'm sure I will be in for a few surprises minor I hope

If it's sat for 8 years you better replace the tires ASAP!

BnB

2009 Monaco Cayman DP 38'

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

Yes I plan on replacing the tires and wheels it has 16.5 on it now and I'm going to put 16" on it. Refrigerator on recall waiting for parts and then smog Going to wait and make sure it passes smog before I get the tires. No need to get tires yet if it wont pass smog

Tom & Michele

1983 Revcon King33

1989 Goldwing

Archived