Class of 2011

Neo/Russ

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The blog has been on hold while we were back in New Braunfels (2/25) after the trip to Arizona. Doing some of the same stuff we did before Arizona trip. Now on the move again will start blogging again.

Tina and Jeff

Tina and Jeff

Class of 2011

"RV there yet?"

2005 Gulfstream Endura

and a 1987 Jeep Wrangler

http://rvtravelswith...a.blogspot.com/

We are still full timing. After a trip to Alaska we are now work camping. We are finishing a gig in Vidalia, LA that we loved. (At least until a lady chewed me out for blowing leave on her truck today with the mower. :) Some people need to get a life. She thought of me as a hourly minimum wage person. If she only knew. Oh well her issue and not mine.

We are leaving here and going through DFW for the kids, grandkids, doctors, etc. Then on to Gunnsion, CO where we will work the summer. We are having a blast and have no regrets.

George Roberts

1994 40' Bluebird Wanderlodge WLWB 500 HP Detroit Diesel 8v92

Towed: 2008 Jeep Sahara Limited Hardtop 4 X 4

Blog: Not a Moment Too Soon

Roll on big river......

but I am moving out!

Finally leaving Vidalia, LA after 4.5 months our longest stay anywhere so far.

Happiness will be Longview in my windshield tomorrow! Sad to leave the river, but I am ready to see new territory and do new things.

Loved it here! Fried chicken with collards, turnips, and mustard greens all three on the buffet. Gizzards, Catfish, Ice Tea, How's yo Momma and nem?, cold beer, crawfish, river boats, shrimp (fried and boiled only, this ain't Bubba Gump's), banana pudding, chocolate pie, blackberry cobbler, BBQ sausage, Ribs, brisket, pork, and chicken, sweet potato pie and a shut my mouth!

George Roberts

We are still full-timing. Started May 2011. We are currently in our last week of volunteer hosting at a NF park in Alabama. We head out a week from today making our way back to MI for the summer where we will work for a concessionaire at a forestry campground. Not a lot of travel yet, but hope to not work winter 2013/14 and just travel (southern areas of course).

Pat DeJong

We seem to change our mind constantly when and where we are going. This time it's due to weather. Made an appointment to have some work done to the RV in Denver on 4/18. Looks like snow and cold there until 4/18. Hope I can change the appointment to 4/22 that's when our reservations begin at Cherry Creek State Park in Denver/Aurora. Currently in Ponca City, Ok. to see friends. Tomrrow we'll go to Amarillo and wait for better weather.

Jeff

Tina and Jeff

Class of 2011

"RV there yet?"

2005 Gulfstream Endura

and a 1987 Jeep Wrangler

Still going-been on the central coast in CA for 4 1/2 months and leaving next Monday heading north thru Oregon--over to Montana to visit relatives then cross into Canada and north to Alaska for the summer. Plan to be back sometime after Labor Day and no plans after that.

David & Judi Kruse

Callie, Beagle

2012 Montana 3150 RL Hickory Edition

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel 4WD

"Off to see the Lizard"

www.mytripjournal.com/thekruses

Tonight will be our 5th in Amarillo. Heading for Colorado tomorrow. Two nights ago had to bring in the slides because of the wind and last night was a record low. We are more than ready for warm weather.

Tina and Jeff

Tina and Jeff

Class of 2011

"RV there yet?"

2005 Gulfstream Endura

and a 1987 Jeep Wrangler

In Tupelo MS staying at the Tombigbee State Park. Will be here till Monday then get back on the Natchez Trace Pkwy and head north some more. Slow easy going waiting for the weather to break up in IN. and MI. So far the weather doesn't look good for the next week really, so it's slower yet...........lol

Dave

Dave & Linda

2011 Bighorn 3670

2000 Ford 7.3 PS diesel white and tan in color Now Fulltiming since May15, 2010

Semper Fi Marines!!

We made it to Denver and got setup as the snow storm moved in Monday. I lived here most of my life and I don't care for snow and cold anymore. If it wasn't for my daughter's wedding in a couple of weeks I wouldn't be here this early. Its suppose to be in the 70's this weekend.

Jeff

Tina and Jeff

Class of 2011

"RV there yet?"

2005 Gulfstream Endura

and a 1987 Jeep Wrangler

• 3 months later...

Boy this group is quiet. :wacko: Why is that? Anyway where have you been this summer and where are you going this winter?

We went around the Great Lakes (except Lake Superior) and are in Vermont right now. Will be going down the east coast in a month on an RV tour. Starting in Bar Harbor, Me. and ending in Daytona, Fl.

We did mostly Mesa,Arizona 2 years ago and New Braunfels, Tx. last year. This year is Florida.

See you on the road. Travel safe.

Jeff

Tina and Jeff

Class of 2011

"RV there yet?"

2005 Gulfstream Endura

and a 1987 Jeep Wrangler

We're still in Canada/Alaska--Stewart/Hyder to be exact. Having rain and low clouds so not seeing much of the mountains and no bears in Salmon Creek yet. Going back up there and up to Salmon Glacier today then tomorrow heading back out and south. Should be back in Central CA for a couple of months then to Rockport, TX for the winter.

This is a trip of a lifetime--4 1/2 months with 2 months in Alaska. Check out our trip at www.mytripjournal.com/thekruses .

David & Judi Kruse

Callie, Beagle

"Off to see the Lizard"

We're still in Canada/Alaska--Stewart/Hyder to be exact. Having rain and low clouds so not seeing much of the mountains and no bears in Salmon Creek yet. Going back up there and up to Salmon Glacier today then tomorrow heading back out and south. Should be back in Central CA for a couple of months then to Rockport, TX for the winter.

This is a trip of a lifetime--4 1/2 months with 2 months in Alaska. Check out our trip at www.mytripjournal.com/thekruses .

If there are no bears at the viewing area there should be some at the dump. We didn't go to the dump so I can't tell you where it is, but if you ask enough people someone will tell you.

And don't forget to get Hyderized if you haven't yet.

George Roberts

Boy this group is quiet. :wacko: Why is that? Anyway where have you been this summer and where are you going this winter?

We went around the Great Lakes (except Lake Superior) and are in Vermont right now. Will be going down the east coast in a month on an RV tour. Starting in Bar Harbor, Me. and ending in Daytona, Fl.

We did mostly Mesa,Arizona 2 years ago and New Braunfels, Tx. last year. This year is Florida.

See you on the road. Travel safe

You wintered in Arizona, Texas, and will be in Florida. We wintered in Florida, Texas, and and will be in Arizona this winter. This travel year we have gone from as far south as the Rio Grande Valley up to as far north as Waterton/Glacier in Montana/Alberta. We presently are in Moab, Utah. It has been a spectacular travel year of National Parks/Monuments/Rec Areas, etc

You wintered in Arizona, Texas, and will be in Florida. We wintered in Florida, Texas, and and will be in Arizona this winter. This travel year we have gone from as far south as the Rio Grande Valley up to as far north as Waterton/Glacier in Montana/Alberta. We presently are in Moab, Utah. It has been a spectacular travel year of National Parks/Monuments/Rec Areas, etc

When in Az. you have to go to Quartzsite for the RV show in Jan. Look up the Class-less group they're a pretty good group. There is always room for another rig.

What did you like/ dislike about Florida? It's all new there to us. Thanks.

Jeff

Tina and Jeff

Class of 2011

"RV there yet?"

2005 Gulfstream Endura

and a 1987 Jeep Wrangler

When in Az. you have to go to Quartzsite for the RV show in Jan. Look up the Class-less group they're a pretty good group. There is always room for another rig.

What did you like/ dislike about Florida? It's all new there to us. Thanks.

Jeff

I would say your biggest decision about wintering in Florida is how much you will want to see/move while you are there. It is a huge state with a ton of potential things to see and do and that could have you moving frequently. On the other hand, it can be a great place just to relax and enjoy warm weather during a winter before heading out on travels again. You will have to decide what balance of those two is right for you.

You will need to make decisions about cost – it is cheaper in the cooler north and down the center of the state (except right near Orlando of course) and will be more expensive the closer to the coasts and the further south that you go. Going to the Keys or not is a major decision as well as they are almost a destination of their own and likely an expensive one, but one that could be very memorable.

We had been to Florida several times before we first went there in the motor home winter before last. For a whole variety of reasons we decided on a four-month stay in one park, Willow Lakes in Titusville. We didn’t know Texas nearly as well so we moved around during our winter there as we will in Arizona this winter (including Quartzite).

As Florida is all new to you, I would think you would likely want to see a lot of it. See the north on the way down and on the way back up when it will be warmer there and get to the farther south for January/February. Fort Meyers and Naples are very warm and popular areas with lots of parks. There don’t seem to be as many parks in the southern Atlantic region, but you could day trip there in your car.

Beyond all the obvious Florida stuff to do, here are a few others you might consider.

Spring Training – lots of ballparks all over Florida with games in March.

The RV Show in Tampa in January – it is one of the largest shows in the Country

Lazy Days RV Center near Tampa– maybe the largest RV dealer site in the Country, but with the obvious risk that you might lighten your bank account

Cedar Key – a neat old Gulf town out of the way of everything else north from Tampa. Friends of ours spent most of their winter near there.

Don’t forget the Panhandle – some of the finest white sand beaches especially toward the west

You can look at our blog if you like for how we spent our time mainly in one place and here is the address for the blog of another 2011 Class Member who moved around a lot in Florida during the same winter http://zeetraveler.blogspot.com/

Hope some of this will be helpful.

Gary

• 2 months later...

Any of our class still out there?

After a great summer trip to Canada and Alaska and 6 weeks on the coast in California we're back on the Texas Gulf Coast--Rockport--for the winter. We're camp hosting at Palm Harbor RV Park on Aransas Bay a little south of Rockport. Going to be here until April--then next summer in Colorado.

David & Judi Kruse

Callie, Beagle

"Off to see the Lizard"

We are once again in Gulf Shores AL for the winter. But next year we are going to TX and the hill country. Been threatening doing this for a couple yrs. Next year is the yr.

Dave

Dave & Linda

2011 Bighorn 3670

2000 Ford 7.3 PS diesel white and tan in color Now Fulltiming since May15, 2010

Semper Fi Marines!!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Currently we are in Tucson until 12/20 then up to Phoenix for Christmas with daughter and her family. Out to Yuma and Quartzsite for the month of January. Will be in Q with the Class Less Class.

Jeff

Tina and Jeff

Class of 2011

"RV there yet?"

2005 Gulfstream Endura

and a 1987 Jeep Wrangler

Archived