Exploding Converter Capacitors!

2019 50 amp Airstream Flying Cloud.

After having a Boondocker 65 amp convertor  installed for 4 years the other blew the capacitor. I had a spare converter , WFCO, and swapped them out and the other blew immediately! They exploded popping the tops open and were smoking!

I had an RV electrician over and he and I checked everything we could think of aside from a small section of buried wires on the DC side. The AC input was in perfect working order! I have a high quality Progressive Industries surge protector EMS device and it registered no surges or power spikes of any kind.

It was blowing the breaker but I was able to reset as I didn't know what it was. After second reset I opened the compartment and and the converter was smoking...only damage anywhere is the cap!

At $250 a pop I'm hesitant to install another converter until I can pinpoint exactly what does this and confirm what ever happened before has been fixed by us tightening all the connections.

Frustrating as all systems are 100% fine but obviously not....

Is there some sort of common cause for such a thing? Baffling!

Thanks!

IMG_2131a.jpg

"Is there some sort of common cause for such a thing?" Yes. Counterfeit parts. Some years ago Apple got some counterfeit caps. They were used in the iMac machines (goes back a few years, doesn't it). They lasted until the warranty was us, then started dying. There were enough that Apple replaced boards with those caps at no charge even though the warranty was long past. Both of our daughters had those machines when they went to college. Thanks to those bad caps one of the girls got her husband.

You often get what you pay for, but you seldom get more than you pay for.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Unfortunately nearly all electronic stuff is made off-shore today. I had to replace the caps for my basement heat pump, everything is made in China, so I extended leads and placed caps where they are easy and convenient to replace, plus in a fire-resistant metal box.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

13 hours ago, aztex said:

I had an RV electrician over and he and I checked everything we could think of aside from a small section of buried wires on the DC side.

As a career electromechanical tech., I have found very few RV techs that have had a through knowledge/understanding of electrical and/or electronic principles. The fact that a second converter suffered the same fate tells me that things are not OK. My first thought was the same as Lou, and a short could also cause the cap to blow. Most likely if you install another converter it will experience the same fate.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

While I 100% agree it could be bad china made parts the fact the Boondocker was fine for 4 years and THEN the WFCO popped the same way suggests an electrical problem.

Of course it happens when I'm on the road and next stop pretty far from a big city with lots of repair options. I thought my DEKA AGM batteries were on their last legs and getting ready to replace but they are doing all I ask of them using solar to charge.

I also have a high quality  battery charger. Forget brand as it's packed but I could leave that on the batteries for night time and go about business as usual. Any problem with approach?

I can't seem to find a mobile RV tech that specializes in RV electrical in Tucson. Most seemed to only have ~5 years experience. Anyone know of one in Tucson or Yuma where I'll be next? I know a good rv tech where I summer in New Mexico so may have to wait till June to see him. 

Thanks!

9 hours ago, aztex said:

but I could leave that on the batteries for night time and go about business as usual. Any problem with approach?

None that I can think of but I would lift the leads at the dead converter. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 1/28/2024 at 11:44 AM, aztex said:

While I 100% agree it could be bad china made parts the fact the Boondocker was fine for 4 years and THEN the WFCO popped the same way suggests an electrical problem.

Of course it happens when I'm on the road and next stop pretty far from a big city with lots of repair options. I thought my DEKA AGM batteries were on their last legs and getting ready to replace but they are doing all I ask of them using solar to charge.

I also have a high quality  battery charger. Forget brand as it's packed but I could leave that on the batteries for night time and go about business as usual. Any problem with approach?

I can't seem to find a mobile RV tech that specializes in RV electrical in Tucson. Most seemed to only have ~5 years experience. Anyone know of one in Tucson or Yuma where I'll be next? I know a good rv tech where I summer in New Mexico so may have to wait till June to see him. 

Thanks!

To find a nearby RV tech, try here: It's on you to ask the right questions about training, experience, knowledge, etc.

mobile mechanics
https://camperfaqs.com/mobile-rv-repair
https://rvtaa.org/locate/
https://nrvta.com/
https://nrvia.org/

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961