Want to remove the handles for the parking and trailer brakes.

lappir

I'm wondering if there is a different way to remove the "Roll Pin" that holds them in place. I did it many years ago on the Gold truck using a pin punch and a small hammer. Not sure if that caused the occasional leak I have noticed over the years since. It always stops with a bit of a wiggle of the knob. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

15 minutes ago, lappir said:

I'm wondering if there is a different way to remove the "Roll Pin" that holds them in place. I did it many years ago on the Gold truck using a pin punch and a small hammer. Not sure if that caused the occasional leak I have noticed over the years since. It always stops with a bit of a wiggle of the knob. 

Rod

I have one of these.

https://www.tooldiscounter.com/product/e-z-red-roll-pin-tool-ezrppt13?gclid=Cj0KCQjwmICoBhDxARIsABXkXlLAdyn0Zyrt-USKBrgeAKmtZAvv9SMfh_bZOO3yNu9pCZ4PvNH7hXcaAi7iEALw_wcB

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Thanks Carl, 

I was thinking there should be a special tool . Now to find one in SE Iowa. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

3 hours ago, lappir said:

Thanks Carl, 

I was thinking there should be a special tool . Now to find one in SE Iowa. 

Rod

It fits 1/8" roll-pins, made for pin removal for clutch cylinders. Yea, me too! Thanks Carl.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

8 hours ago, Nigel said:

Rod is this for the new truck?  On my truck the knobs just unscrew counter clockwise maybe yours are the same.

Nigel

Actually both of my trucks are in the same year range and are Gen 1. Found a inexpensive (I think) Radio/Android Auto/Camera video screen, but the truck I'm keeping has two items in the space, where the for sale truck has a single opening with an aftermarket Pioneer unit. Hoping to just switch the dash parts, but requires removal of the valve handles, both with visible roll pins. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

• 4 weeks later...

So, I found a tool on both the Matco and Snap On websites. Snap on was the only truck that still comes to the small town in SE Iowa. Drive was nice enough to ship it to me and then stop the next day for payment. The little tool was not strong enough for the job and broke. Sales person didn't charge me for the tool, but I paid him for the shipping. He was happy cause my brother bought a set of Screwdrivers while he was there. 

Used a diamond drill and cut a line in the plastic handle, got the plastic out of the way and was able to remove the bottom pin first and then the top. Someone had buggered the ends pretty bad so they would only come out one way. I replace each with a brake shoe pin and they are working fine now. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800