Does your Volvo hood seal leak

Wrknrvr

I will share some of my experience that I encountered this spring on our truck.

The first thing I want Volvo owners to check. Does your hood seal, seal. If it does fine. But if it does not, it may leave water (rain or wash water) to run over your starter and ECM.

It is fairly simple to test. If you set a ladder beside the hood at the windshield area, then climb up and see if you can feel a gap between the hood and the seal in the middle of the hood area.

If it feels snug, maybe try to push a thin piece of cardboard in the space.

Water can cause un wanted problems.

1 hour ago, Wrknrvr said:

I will share some of my experience that I encountered this spring on our truck.

The first thing I want Volvo owners to check. Does your hood seal, seal. If it does fine. But if it does not, it may leave water (rain or wash water) to run over your starter and ECM.

It is fairly simple to test. If you set a ladder beside the hood at the windshield area, then climb up and see if you can feel a gap between the hood and the seal in the middle of the hood area.

If it feels snug, maybe try to push a thin piece of cardboard in the space.

Water can cause un wanted problems.

I agree that water is not a friend of vehicles, but they are exposed to many forms and manners in which the moisture can be thrown, collected and poured. 

Vern, can you post photos of what your concern is regarding the starter? 

Thanks,

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I would think as long as the tray under the wipers drains properly, little water would make it over the lip in front.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

So let’s say you have pine needles and such that have fallen on that tray. With a heavy rain, wind and a long down poor. Drains get plugged. Also facing downhill can cause faster flow of the water.

While washing your truck and windshield with a hose you can get a good flow of water headed towards the engine. 

The one drain on the driver-side of the center of the windshield drains just about on the starter and ecm wiring on a Cummins n14. It will drain even in a light rain. Unless diverted.

I did attach a hose to that drain hole to divert the water away from the engine. 

I will take photo and post tomorrow morning.