Internet Service

Leanne

Hello fellow RVers!  I am a new member and am new to this forum.  I also just got my first RV!  I want to hit the road and plan on boondocking and being in remote places but still want to stay connected.  What is the best, and most economical, way to have reliable cell phone and internet connectivity while traveling around the country?  What are some factors to consider in making a decision?  Thanks!

We can all tell you what we have done but many of us are not particularly current. The place to get the most current information is https://www.rvmobileinternet.com.

This RVing couple evaluates all the gadgets then recommends what works best. They've been doing this for years and are trustworthy.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We have an Insty Connect system with a dual sim modem.  We currently only have one sim from AT&T in it.  It works in most places, but not everywhere.  One of these days I may add a second sim from Verizon or T-mobile to it to add to our potential coverage.  This system is nice because it is always on and always communicating (assuming there is AT&T coverage).  But even if there is no coverage, it is still creating a local network that all my devices can connect to.

For when we don’t have cell coverage, we also have Starlink.  It can work stand alone, but I use it through the Insty Connect router to add connectivity to the existing Insty Connect network in my rig when there is no cell coverage.  This way all my devices stay connected to the Insty Connect network and I don’t have to switch them over to the Starlink network.  The Starlink needs 120 volt power.  Insty Connect will work on 12 volt or 120 volt and I have mine running on 12 volt so it stays on all the time.  The Starlink needs to be set up at each location and taken down before moving to the next.

The Insty Connect router can actually be set up to automatically use multiple networks/sims.  In my case it can use Starlink and/or the AT&T sim automatically depending on what is available and has the best bandwidth (based on software settings through an interface developed by Insty Connect).  This setup works really well and basically gives me connectivity with plenty of bandwidth to do anything I want from pretty much anywhere.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

I second Linda's recommendation for reading on rvmobileinternet.com. They are the go-to people on this topic.

The sticking point in your question is "remote places." Although Verizon has the best 4G coverage nationwide, there are many places you can't get coverage with any of the carriers - and the more remote the more likely that is. With Starlink, you can have internet wherever you can see the sky and you have power for the system. It's pricey, though. I've not done it, but I'm guessing you can set up VOIP for phone service that way, too. 

We have a grandfathered unlimited data plan on a Verizon 4G MiFi hotspot that has served us well for a long time... but we don't boondock. 

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg