Insty Connect WiFi

7 minutes ago, sheldons65 said:

I’ll research a bit but if it’s not one of the 3 major carriers then it’s some 3rd party reseller. They work until they don’t, leaving you without a connection.

He did say something about going through Verizon, AT&T etc…. 

I have Insty connect and have been using it for a couple years.  It is hardware only, you need to provide your own sim (or multiple sims).  It is a different set up than most cellular based hardware systems.  Insty connect puts the modem/sim(s) in the antenna rather than in the router.  It also uses a proprietary design quad antenna.  It works very well in my experience.  They offer a standard omnidirectional “Angel Wing” antenna or a larger directional “binocular” antenna (also a quad antenna set up).  I have the angel wing antenna mounted on the roof of my RV.  It usually does the trick.  I have the dual sim modem mounted in the antenna.  I currently only have an AT&T (Mobley) sim installed.  I have used the directional antenna once when I couldn’t get any signal from the angel wing.  The modem simply pops out of the omni/angel wing antenna and pops into the directional antenna.  I pointed the directional antenna generally in the direction of the nearest populated area and went from no signal to a good enough signal to be able to make WiFi calls and send/receive text messages.  I could also check basic emails, but browsing the internet was still very slow and clunky.  Still way better than no signal at all though.  There is a simple USB-C cable that runs from the modem down to the router inside.  This way there is no signal loss going through an antenna cable to a modem in an internal router like most equipment has.  If you have two sims installed, you can choose either one as primary or have it auto select the strongest signal.  If you have something like Starlink, you can run the Starlink signal through the Insty Connect router and let all your devices maintain there connection to you Insty connect network without having to reconnect them to the Starlink network for service.  You can also select Starlink as the primary internet source or allow the system to auto select the best source.  There is more, but you get the idea.  I am very happy with it overall and have met the owner of the company and talked with him several times in Quartzsite over the last couple of years.  He is very nice and knowledgeable.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

7 hours ago, RV_ said:

Chad, Wow! Thanks.

👍

2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)

event.png    

On 7/19/2023 at 3:15 AM, Chad Heiser said:

I have Insty connect and have been using it for a couple years.  It is hardware only, you need to provide your own sim (or multiple sims).  It is a different set up than most cellular based hardware systems.  Insty connect puts the modem/sim(s) in the antenna rather than in the router.  It also uses a proprietary design quad antenna.  It works very well in my experience.  They offer a standard omnidirectional “Angel Wing” antenna or a larger directional “binocular” antenna (also a quad antenna set up).  I have the angel wing antenna mounted on the roof of my RV.  It usually does the trick.  I have the dual sim modem mounted in the antenna.  I currently only have an AT&T (Mobley) sim installed.  I have used the directional antenna once when I couldn’t get any signal from the angel wing.  The modem simply pops out of the omni/angel wing antenna and pops into the directional antenna.  I pointed the directional antenna generally in the direction of the nearest populated area and went from no signal to a good enough signal to be able to make WiFi calls and send/receive text messages.  I could also check basic emails, but browsing the internet was still very slow and clunky.  Still way better than no signal at all though.  There is a simple USB-C cable that runs from the modem down to the router inside.  This way there is no signal loss going through an antenna cable to a modem in an internal router like most equipment has.  If you have two sims installed, you can choose either one as primary or have it auto select the strongest signal.  If you have something like Starlink, you can run the Starlink signal through the Insty Connect router and let all your devices maintain there connection to you Insty connect network without having to reconnect them to the Starlink network for service.  You can also select Starlink as the primary internet source or allow the system to auto select the best source.  There is more, but you get the idea.  I am very happy with it overall and have met the owner of the company and talked with him several times in Quartzsite over the last couple of years.  He is very nice and knowledgeable.

Awesome, thanks for the information Chad.

is this something we could use at the house when we are not traveling and then pack it up and take it with us while on the road? 
our current wifi service is pretty much useless while the leaves are on the trees. And then it’s still questionable when the leaves have fallen.

17 hours ago, Rotorhead said:

Awesome, thanks for the information Chad.

is this something we could use at the house when we are not traveling and then pack it up and take it with us while on the road? 
our current wifi service is pretty much useless while the leaves are on the trees. And then it’s still questionable when the leaves have fallen.

It would be possible to use at home and on the road, but you would have to punt and dismount the antenna and router in both locations.  It would be more expensive, but a lot easier to get two antennas and two routers and then just move the modem between the two installations (at least I believe that would be possible).  The modem is a small module that slides in and out of the antenna and holds the sim(s).  I don’t think they are bound to the router, but it would be a question I would ask of Insty connect support before spending money.  I know you can use multiple antennas with no problem (because I have done that).  So a bit cheaper option would be to Mount an antenna and USB-c data cable in both locations and then just move the router and modem insert between the two locations.  This would be pretty easy to do.

event.png    

9 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

It would be possible to use at home and on the road, but you would have to punt and dismount the antenna and router in both locations.  It would be more expensive, but a lot easier to get two antennas and two routers and then just move the modem between the two installations (at least I believe that would be possible).  The modem is a small module that slides in and out of the antenna and holds the sim(s).  I don’t think they are bound to the router, but it would be a question I would ask of Insty connect support before spending money.  I know you can use multiple antennas with no problem (because I have done that).  So a bit cheaper option would be to Mount an antenna and USB-c data cable in both locations and then just move the router and modem insert between the two locations.  This would be pretty easy to do.

Awesome, thanks. I am definitely going to check into it some more.