Magnum MS 2812 Inverter problem found

I'm one of the fellows that leave there Inverters on 24/7 so one day I noted the microwave clock running slow. and that supplying inverter was not charging batteries. I reset the Inverter 30 amp circuit breaker. Maybe after resetting the breaker a couple times in maybe 6 weeks, I reset the breaker but turned the inverter off. A couple nights later, my wife was preparing Supper (yes we are an older couple), she was using the convection oven and started the Electric Fry pan. The breaker tripped again but with the inverter turned off, everything stopped. Turned the inverter on remotely and  DW was happy.

So now I knew the problem, the 30 amp circuit breaker must be bad if the 2800 watt inverter can continue to supply the load. But then again the I noted that inverter was not charging. and resetting the circuit breaker did not help. I checked connections and everything appears OK, but yet the 120V wasn't getting it job done inside the box. Bad circuit breaker or transfer relay? I called Magnum Customer service explaining the problem. He told me a list of things to do check which I had done all but one and that was checking the inverter setting. For further info and repair I should call "Inverter Service Center, Whitehouse TN". The people at TN were the most helpful I told the fellow the suspected part problem and he told the relays were mounted on a card but the circuit breaker was a serviceable part.( good news I was suspecting a part soldered to a board.) 

I removed the inverter and removed the cover. Next I lifted a few circuit cards to see where a piece of wire had been attached to the circuit breaker. The Circuit Breaker-Wire connection was by a spade terminal. The wire crimp had failed but hung in there to make charcoal of plastic and melt a few copper strands. My thoughts are the hot connector changed the properties of circuit breaker thus tripping at less than 25 amps.  I still have to determine the wire size but observation is 12 but external AC wiring is to be 10. Something I want to check when going back. Inverter Service Center is sending the circuit breaker today today.

The 55 pound inverter is mounted to the ceiling of the basement. It will be a job to replace laying on your back in a space varying between 16 to 29 inch high. I always wanted a job I could lay down on and now I can mark that of my Bucket list.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Awesome! Let us know it works. I love a happy ending to some of these difficult issues.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

On 5/18/2023 at 9:50 AM, ms60ocb said:

I'm one of the fellows that leave there Inverters on 24/7 so one day I noted the microwave clock running slow. and that supplying inverter was not charging batteries. I reset the Inverter 30 amp circuit breaker. Maybe after resetting the breaker a couple times in maybe 6 weeks, I reset the breaker but turned the inverter off. A couple nights later, my wife was preparing Supper (yes we are an older couple), she was using the convection oven and started the Electric Fry pan. The breaker tripped again but with the inverter turned off, everything stopped. Turned the inverter on remotely and  DW was happy.

So now I knew the problem, the 30 amp circuit breaker must be bad if the 2800 watt inverter can continue to supply the load. But then again the I noted that inverter was not charging. and resetting the circuit breaker did not help. I checked connections and everything appears OK, but yet the 120V wasn't getting it job done inside the box. Bad circuit breaker or transfer relay? I called Magnum Customer service explaining the problem. He told me a list of things to do check which I had done all but one and that was checking the inverter setting. For further info and repair I should call "Inverter Service Center, Whitehouse TN". The people at TN were the most helpful I told the fellow the suspected part problem and he told the relays were mounted on a card but the circuit breaker was a serviceable part.( good news I was suspecting a part soldered to a board.) 

I removed the inverter and removed the cover. Next I lifted a few circuit cards to see where a piece of wire had been attached to the circuit breaker. The Circuit Breaker-Wire connection was by a spade terminal. The wire crimp had failed but hung in there to make charcoal of plastic and melt a few copper strands. My thoughts are the hot connector changed the properties of circuit breaker thus tripping at less than 25 amps.  I still have to determine the wire size but observation is 12 but external AC wiring is to be 10. Something I want to check when going back. Inverter Service Center is sending the circuit breaker today today.

The 55 pound inverter is mounted to the ceiling of the basement. It will be a job to replace laying on your back in a space varying between 16 to 29 inch high. I always wanted a job I could lay down on and now I can mark that of my Bucket list.

Clay

Are you talking about an inverter, or a converter?

CA Dept of Fish & Wildlife (Ret)

US Navy (Ret)

2023 RAM 2500 Tradesman, 6.4L Hemi, 2x4, Reg cab, 8' bed, GVWR 10,000#, Cargo Cap 3913#, Tow Cap 15,540#

Magnum 2812 is ready for the test tomorrow. The hard part of returning the 57# unit to service, is mounting it to the basement ceiling of the ENTEGRA.

On 5/24/2023 at 8:26 PM, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Look at his title, It's a magnum 2812 inverter. 2800 watts, 12 volts DC.

👌 Missed that.

The original statement confused me because an inverter changes 12v into 120v, and when he said the microwave clock was running slow, and then something about the inverter not charging the batteries, and because I know that the microwave runs on 120v shore power, it didn't make sense.

Edited by Tulecreeper

US Navy (Ret)

2023 RAM 2500 Tradesman, 6.4L Hemi, 2x4, Reg cab, 8' bed, GVWR 10,000#, Cargo Cap 3913#, Tow Cap 15,540#

31 minutes ago, Tulecreeper said:

👌 Missed that.

The original statement confused me because an inverter changes 12v into 120v, and when he said the microwave clock was running slow, and then something about the inverter not charging the batteries, and because I know that the microwave runs on 120v shore power, it didn't make sense.

microwave will run on the inverter. Everything in our camper does.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

9 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

microwave will run on the inverter. Everything in our camper does.

You must have a massive battery bank to provide that much 12v dc amperage to convert into 120v ac amperage.

US Navy (Ret)

On 5/24/2023 at 11:08 PM, ms60ocb said:

Magnum 2812 is ready for the test tomorrow. The hard part of returning the 57# unit to service, is mounting it to the basement ceiling of the ENTEGRA.

FWIW, the  previous owner of my MH changed the inverter/charger which was mounted on the ceiling of the compartment. He mounted the new inverter/charger on the floor of the compartment instead, if his instance all the cables were a bit too long because the batteries are under that compartment..

That makes it easier for me because now I have to replace that inverter/charger unit.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

The inverter failed the First test.  I got back to the project today and after a hard reset  and a soft boot everything is working OK.

Clay