Class A roof

superyooper

I have a 2005 Fleetwood southwind and there are white streaks (after a rain) down the sides and front of the rv. I guess it has a rubber roof and what i am seeing is oxidation. The local rv store has told me a good scrubbing and coating will solve the problem but only for 6 months and $700 ? Seems like there should be a better way to do this. Has anyone solved this problem? 

Reach out to rvroofingpros.com.  They have a nice product that will make your 6 months timeline worthless.  It is a liquid applied membrane with Kevlar for durability and it wont need any future caulking so no climbing up there.  Except if you damage your roof, of course, but this can also help with those damages when encountered.  

Be VERY careful about having it done with a silicone based product.  They are fairly inexpensive, used alot but DONT  lend itself to any repairs in the future.  Best to stay with elastomerics.

Marcel

2 hours ago, superyooper said:

The local rv store has told me a good scrubbing and coating will solve the problem but only for 6 months and $700 ?

Based on your description, I am fairly sure that you have an EDPM roof and what you are seeing is a result of the normal chalking process. With the roof now 18 years old it is well into the life expectancy but if it has been well cared for it could easily last for several more years. It is normal to need to clean the roof periodically and even then some streaking may take place, especially as it nears time to do it again. As to the cleaning process, the $700 is really excessive unless there is some extenuating reason that would make it take a lot longer than normal. I found that it would take me a couple of hours to clean ours on a 36' class A and I used a mix of water and Dawn dish detergent to wash the roof using the same brush that I used on the body  2 times a year and I would apply Dicor Rubber Roof Protectant to minimize the chalking. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

You need to get up on the roof and look for previous damage, repaired or not. Let us know what you find.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire