Class C leveling

Jgbex

I used to own a travel trailer and now a class C. So I know with the trailer you level side to side with plastic levelers, then front to back with tongue jack. Then put down stabilizers. I have hydraulic jacks with the class c that do not auto level. From what I can tell is you level with those but you wouldn't want your back wheels off the ground. So would you use plastic levelers? If so what kind would work best with duelies? I have a Jayco redhawk 29xk. I think it would be much easier to use the plastic levelers. Thanks in advance

Welcome to the Escapee forums! 

When you level any motorhome you should never lift the rear wheels because the front wheels are not locked with the parking brake, only the rear. If using your leveling jacks does not lift the rear wheels but only removes part of the weight, I would still use wheel chocks on them as an extra but that would be all. If you must raise the rear enough t lift the weight completely off of the rear wheels you should use some type of blocks under the rear wheels to keep a significant amount of weight on them. We lived in a class A with leveling jacks and we probably used blocks under the rear wheels less than 10% of the time but I always used wheel chocks at both front and rear, much as I do with our present travel trailer. You are correct that you should support both tires in a set of duals when you do lift it that much and there are several ways that can be done. For duals the only factory blocks that can support both dual tires that I am aware of are Camco FasTen leveling blocks that can be used to support single or double tires. For our motorhome I carried blocks that I made up of pressure treated wood and they did require separate blocks for each dual wheel. It was very rare that we parked where blocks were needed under both sides of the rear wheels. Most of the time if a site was that far our of level we would just find a different site. We also typically parked such that the front was lifted, rather than the rear if possible. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Welcome to the Escapees Forum!

With a Class C that has jacks, you may find one of the cell phone apps useful. Here is a link to download one. I used the trailer (caravan) version and it seemed to work pretty well but you needed to go in and out of the trailer to view it. If you can place the cell phone on the floor of the RV where you can see it from the jack controls, I think it might work pretty well.  Here is a video of another one.

Again, Welcome to the Escapees Forum!

It is possible to use plastic levelers with a Class C motorhome equipped with hydraulic jacks. You can use the jacks to get the vehicle as close to level as possible, and then use the plastic levelers to make any final adjustments. There are levelers designed specifically for use with dual rear wheels, such as the Camco Leveling Blocks. It's important to select levelers with a weight capacity that exceeds the weight of your motorhome to ensure safe and stable leveling. Additionally, you can check the manufacturer's recommendations for your particular make and model to see if they have any specific recommendations.

When we had the class C, we used leveling blocks if we were very far off level.  I have never liked lifting any tire completely off the ground.  When you use leveling blocks under some of the wheels, you will probably need to use some blocks under the jacks as they have a limited stroke or extension and will not have enough lift to get you level.

I have never used the plastic Lego style blocks on anything other than a hard surface.  On soft ground, they will collapse and crack.  

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot