Circuit board photo

lappir

I'm good at taking things apart, but not so much with diagnosis of issues. 

I have a classic "Indoor/Outdoor" thermometer that has been in my family as long as I can remember. When my Mom passed almost a year ago I unplugged it and took it to my RV. It worked for quite a while, but then the last time I moved I put it into a bag and forgot which one. Found it a few weeks ago and plugged it in where I thought it could stay. Lights came on but the temperature read 37 degrees both inside and out. Each of the thermistors were within inches of each other and the ambient temperature was in the mid 60's according to another thermometer.  I found info about testing the Thermistors and it appears both are not working. In looking at the photo of the circuit board near the upper right hand corner it appears something got hot. Would it be worth it to try to find a thermistor to test it or is there a way of testing the board for a very novice  person? 

Thanks in advance. 

Rod

UhaSwcil.jpg

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I would take this question to a blog like Hackaday.com.   Those folks are geniuses when it comes to electronics.

MyRVRadio - Streaming online 24/7 at MyRVRadio.com and via mobile apps! Content for RVers from RVers.   2018 Grand Design Momentum 399TH • 2019 Ford F-350 (DRW)
2016 Harley-Davidson Heritage • 2013 Harley Sportster with a sidecar
Web: https://MyRVRadio.com • Facebook: https://fb.com/MyRVRadio  

Having worked on circuit boards pretty much my entire career, it looks to me as though someone has used a soldering iron on it before, possibly to repair it. If you compare that to the factory ones and it is very easy to see that some of them are not factory. There is one place to the far right that you can see the wire and it looks to be poorly soldered.

In order to troubleshoot the circuit board you really need a schematic of it. It is difficult to test most transistors without removing them from the circuit. On the other hand, you aren't likely to harm it more by trying to replace them. I would try and get transistors of the same type that are there now. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thank you everyone for the replies. I think I'm going to put it away again for a bit and see what happens when I have officially retired and am looking for a project. 

I'll be moving sometime next month and starting to work on it now will just cause me to loose some important item. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July.