Shurflo pump draft depth?

Deezl Smoke

It's claimed that this Shurflo pump will self prime from a water tank up to 6' below the pump. What might be your experience with this?

I wish to mount the pump inside and the tanks outside. In my setup, the bottom of my fresh tank will be nearly 4' below the pump. The suction hose to the input of the pump will be 1/2" diameter, and will have 2 clamped fittings. The length of the suction hose may be near 60" total, that's including the length inside the tank.

Am I asking too much, or in your experience, are the specs for these pumps somewhat conservative?

Thank you for any help.

I'm a work'n on it.

IMO, the only thing that matters is the difference in elevation between the pump and the tank.  That distance equates to the lift needed.  For example, my RV fresh water tank is about 12 feet aft of my pump but only 2 feet blow it and it works fine.  I think you should be fine.             

The only issue I have had with priming is on older pumps where the diaphragms have set for a long period dry.  I have had to pull off the output of the pump and suck on the pump to aid in priming.  

Chet

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist